1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Lesbian Student Outed by Principal to Sue

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Ben W, Dec 4, 2005.

1. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

Lesbian outed by principal can proceed with suit, judge says
    THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
    12/03/2005

SANTA ANA, CALIF.

A federal judge says a lesbian teen may sue her school district and her principal for revealing her homosexuality to her mother.

The teen is Charlene Nguon, 17. She may go forward with her suit claiming violation of privacy rights, U.S. District Judge James V. Selna ruled late last month. The decision was announced Thursday by the American Civil Liberties Union of Southern California.

Orange County's Garden Grove district argued that Nguon had waived any expectation of privacy by openly kissing and hugging her girlfriend at Santiago High School.

No trial date was set. The suit seeks damages from the district and Principal Ben Wolf.

ACLU lawyer Christine Sun said, "This is the first court ruling we're aware of where a judge has recognized that a student has a right not to have her sexual orientation disclosed to her parents."

The girl's mother, Crystal Chhun, said, "The person to decide when and how to talk with our family about this should have been my daughter, not her principal."

District officials have declined to comment.

http://snipurl.com/kh3e

2. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

3. hillclimber

hillclimber New Member

Exactly James. Nothing like a nice greenback poltice to salve this poor girls wounds. :rolleyes:

4. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would suspect its more than the money for the ACLU and homosexual activists.

Both have a vested interest in seeing government authority over student beliefs expanded at the expense of the parents.

This smells like a set up not unlike the case in Texas that challenged their anti-sodomy law.

I would have to guess that the principal's pretext for telling the mother is a rules violation by this 'couple'. I wouldn't be at all surprised if this eventually becomes a question of whether hetero couple kissing is routinely ignored while homo kissing is reported to parents. It also seems likely that the mother and perhaps the principal as well were in on the scheme.

As with Texas, these groups have figured out that they need to get into court and can do this artificially.

5. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Even if there is a presumption of a right to privacy, the fact is that the student had waived any expectation of that privacy by enaging in public displays of affection which evidenced her status as a lesbian.

This is not a case of something that was told with a reasonable expectation of privacy.

Let the ACLU sue. The school will win.

6. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Win or lose- they win. Even in defeat, they will get a chance to get rulings that forbid forbid schools from treating homosexual couples any different from heterosexual couples.

7. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Why should they be addressing either? How come two girls can hold hands or hug without anyone raising an eyebrow, but the moment two guys do that, wooo, the world is ending. If a school wants to have PDA policy, then let them do so, but let them do so with consistently.

That doesn't even begin to address presumption. If I say "I'm gay", everyone assumes I'm enaging in same gender fornication. But if I say "I'm straight", no one assumes I've having premarital sex.

8. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Why should we not expect such things? A girl can get an abortion without parental approval but not be given an aspirin.

Make sense?

9. cojosh

cojosh New Member

Wow, what a world!!

10. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You probably know me well enough to know that my real answer is that public schools are a violation of the establishment clause. Historically, churches and homes were the primary educators of children up until the late 1800's. Philosophically, all education is a form of indoctrination that invariably includes moral/philosophical values and beliefs.

For instance, naturalism and humanism are being taught with official sanction in public schools. These philosophies contradict my religious beliefs on morality, science, politics, etc. They are not objective, areligious teachings.

11. Johnv

Johnv New Member

That's pretty much where the discussion ends.

12. Me4Him

Me4Him New Member

Has anyone bothered to look at the advertisement posted at the top of this thread??

"Local Lesbian dates".

13. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

I would think they couldn't get very far, but who knows if the ACLU or whatever becomes involved.
    When I was in school, sexual contact was not allowed, and that would include kissing and hugging. Regular students were allowed to hold hands with their significant other, but as cheerleaders we weren't even allowed to do that. (and nobody complained that we were held to a higher standard than other students, go figure)
    If the public school rules are the same, the principal had every right to contact the child's parents and tell them of them exactly what she did to break the rules.

If I was part of the gay community, I'd be outraged by the actions of the girl and her parents. (and I am) They, the girl and her family, are treating this as if homosexuality isn't normal and natural (and it isn't) and if it is something that must be hidden, (wouldn't that be nice) when nobody cares if people know they like someone of the opposite sex. It's unfair to treat homosexuals differently by assuming they desire to stay hidden, secluded, and secretive about their natural inclinations, right?

14. hillclimber

hillclimber New Member

The radical homo's have decided the issue of "staying hidden" and they don't want to. They don't even want equal status with hetero's, but special status above that.

Gina, I don't know if your last sentence is a seperate thought from the paragragh or not, but my response is a "just in case it is."

15. DavidsonBap

DavidsonBap New Member

I don't know. The girl has rights and people shouldn't be trying to make her life hell because they don't like she is a lesbian. I find that some Christians are very mean and counter productive when dealing with such people.

16. hillclimber

hillclimber New Member

I find it ubsurd that a teenager has made a choice for homosexuality. It almost has to be a coercion. They're not old enough nor have hormones in balance enough to have rejected heterosexuality. I look at them as likely abused.

17. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Mama and/or the child wants some money.