1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Let's commiserate...

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by menageriekeeper, Mar 17, 2010.

1. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Mine only tried that line once with me (about Harvard). I told her I absolutely did wish to limit her future opportunities especially when those places gave her no more opportunity to do good than a closer university and huge opportunities to go the wrong direction. Ungodly attitudes abound at some of the so-called "higher ranking" universities. She'll get more than enough of that where she's going even. No need to make it worse and pay thousands of dollars more to do it. (money talks to my child. :laugh: )

No, I couldn't handle my child being that far away...especially considering she'll only turn 18 3 weeks before the start of school in the fall. (what was I thinking all those years ago? I should have held her back a year! ;) )

You're a brave fella just to consider it whether you feel brave or not!

2. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

3. FriendofSpurgeon

Site Supporter

All good choices. Pepperdine is a Christian university (Churches of Christ), though I don't know the details. I didn't know if that was a better choice or not. Let me know if she goes to UCLA (not on her list). A friend is with Campus Crusade there. Godspeed in her journeys --- let us know where she ends up.

4. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks--Well, she didn’t manage to get into her top choices, so will be attending here at ASU. 100% of her tuition is covered here through a scholarship. She is disappointed because of all the work she has put into getting scholarships at these other schools, not to mention a couple from her IB group did get offers from these other schools who had inferior grades to hers and less community involvement; apparently some of it is based on the luck of the draw and these other colleges looking for diversity. But I told her the offer here is “nothing to sneeze at” and am still proud of her.

She has decided to take several classes pertaining to different fields to see what she might have interest in. One new addition to these areas of interest includes the medical field, even though right now she is not too crazy about seeing blood and guts, ha, but is very interested in health, wellness and helping others.

Today, she is in CA performing in a choir competition. Guess will see what the future brings.

5. FriendofSpurgeon

Site Supporter

Congrats! God has her where He wants her. ASU is very, very good school and Tempe is a lot closer to home than LA or SF. It is a neat campus --- I've been to dinner in the surrounding area several times. Best wishes in her (and your) new journey --

6. menageriekeeper

I know she is dissapointed. (you should have seen the flood when Cass didn't get her Chemistry Fellowship)

This is why Cass didn't get her chemistry fellowship. She was extremely lucky to get her honors placement.

All things work for the good of those who love the Lord. Tell your daughter congratulation and to bloom where God has planted her!

7. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, you gotta wonder about this diversity thing. I heard about that from the administrators at Stanford.

I must admit I am more comfortable with the way this came out. I was afraid she might end up making CA her home, I hear more earthquakes there already this year than any of the last ten complete years and of course, the distance.

Thanks, I'm sure she will do well here.

Now...I have to get my son on a more ambitious path or that boy will be starting out at community college! :BangHead:

Oh, BTW, I was also just accepted this week to attend NAU to complete my undergraduate degree but will probably also be taking a few classes at ASU myself; if I see her there :eek: I will have to try not to embarrass her too bad. :tongue3:

#27 Benjamin, Apr 17, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2010
  8. menageriekeeper

What is it with boys? Mine had rather being doing hard labor than study. :eek: I'm not sure either of them will go straight to college after high school. I'm thinking a year of flipping burgers might just be good for them!

Good for you for going back and finishing your own degree. Because I'm homeschooling the youngest and may bring Chris back home as well if his health doesn't improve I have to wait a couple of years more to go back and finish mine. Of course it would help if I knew what I wanted to be when my kids grew up! :laugh:

9. Loveday

Loveday New Member

My daughter--our youngest--decided she had to attend a school eight hours away from home. :eek: She's just finishing her first year, and I can't wait to have her home again. It was hard, but we went up to see her a couple of times, she was home over Christmas for nearly a month, and she also came home for Easter break. So between that and the blessing of email and cell phones, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. :godisgood:

I don't know about Arizona, but the community college system here in Virginia is excellent. I would encourage anyone to consider community college an option for their first two years. My son recently finished his associate's degree program at CC and did very well there--and saved us a boatload of money! So far he's got no student loans to pay back, unlike his sister who's already several thousand dollars in debt. Now if he'd just make up his mind what he wants to do with that degree--I'd love to see him go to the University of Virginia, but alas, I don't think his grades were quite THAT good. :cool:

10. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree, of course with considering preferences and responsiilties; Personally, I’m going to a CC that is medically centered and works very closely with several Universities. In fact, one of the Universities (NAU) is taking up to 90 CC credits toward my undergraduate degree for a Bachelor’s in Health Science.

This is why I'm saying my son might be starting out at CC. My daughter has earned her 100% tuition through a scholarship and can enjoy the experiences one has being part of a university, but “if” my son does not put forth the effort to do likewise then rather than run out his/my budget in the first year or two, and/or go into unnecessary debt he would have to forgo the four year University experience.

Nope, Papa’s not to "give it all" to pay the piper for "sunny boy" to educate in the lap of luxury, if junior, who is perfectly capable, doesn’t care enough to apply himself toward putting forth a strong effort in relieving the upcoming financial burdens…Man! Do I sound like a Dad sometimes or what, ha.

11. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey, wait a minute...all new... I never left! :laugh:

Now that I've decided a new path to undergo, ...seeming my children will be leaving me :tear: and I will need/am needing something new,... with any luck I will have my BS degree two years before the daughter.

I'm leaving options open to go toward my PHD in Physical Therapy, seems most employers would support and encourage it, so why not?; this adventure would begin when my son is a freshman. OTOH, my daughter is also showing an interest in PT and if she heads that way would most probably get her PHD. This could get real interesting.

#31 Benjamin, Apr 18, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2010