1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Let's Make Mel Gibson A Billionaire!! Will You Help?

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by rbrent, Mar 10, 2004.

1. rbrent

rbrent New Member

Mel’s Mega-Millions

March 10, 2004 - The Hollywood Reporter Magazine

After 'Passion,' no need for Gibson to work again

By Martin A. Grove
    "Passion" power: Before Newmarket Films' mega-blockbuster launch of Mel Gibson's "The Passion of the Christ," insiders were speculating that the controversial film might hurt Gibson's acting career.

Although some wondered if he'd ever work again, as it turns out the real question is whether Gibson will ever need to work again given "Passion's" divine profits...

If "Passion" were to generate $400 million domestically, that could translate into $100 million or more of profits to Gibson and Icon...

Needless to say, that's just the tip of the iceberg. If a film grosses $400 million domestically, it could easily do twice that internationally. It could, of course, even do more. "Titanic," for instance, did about $1 billion abroad compared to about $600 million in the U.S. and Canada. "Passion" is likely to do extremely well in parts of the world like Latin America and South America...

...Icon's international profits should be very considerable. If we're looking at $100 million in domestic profits, it's not unreasonable to figure $200-250 million (and possibly more) in international profits...

...If we're looking at $400 million in domestic theatrical grosses, we could be looking at $400 million more in DVD and home video sales...

..."Passion" could end up with 60 to 70 percent of the gross from DVD and video sales. If that number is $400 million, that could generate somewhere around $200 million more for Gibson...

And that, by the way, isn't the end of the line. There are, of course, revenue streams from the film's soundtrack album and also from related merchandising deals that could be done in the future, perhaps as tie-ins with church groups worldwide. Moreover, because "Passion" is, in Hollywood genre terms, a period piece costume drama, it will never become dated. There's no reason it can't be re-released theatrically every year for decades to come. Gibson's film could become permanently linked with how Christians observe the Easter season...

Hollywood distributors see the film helping their business by perhaps reawakening interest in movies in people who aren't regular moviegoers...

...It's widely believed that Gibson's initial audience for "Passion" was largely people who usually don't go to see films. This core audience, driven by Christian evangelical leaders, made seeing "Passion" their top priority. The fervor they exhibited for seeing it as early as possible in its run brings to mind the same frenzy that accompanies the opening of new "Star Wars" episodes or the latest comic book driven summer popcorn movies...

...the Christian Right immediately put it on the blockbuster charts...

...While it's true that many of the Bible's most familiar stories have been mined by Hollywood in the past, producers who now address the same material the way Gibson's done in his R rated "Passion" could find themselves satisfying the moviegoing appetite of this newly emerging audience.

2. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

I think he'd continue making movies regardless. He was asked in an interview if after making The Passion could he go back to making his regular violent films, and he basically said he might after a while.
    I can't see having enough money as stopping anyone from wanting more. Never has that I've seen!
    I suppose that's his right, and he's not the only one to not be satisfied with a few million. "I have enough" is not a phrase heard when discussing finances, USUALLY. I've met ONE person who's ever stated this. (hello person, you know who you are. LOL)
    Gina

3. donnA

donnA Active Member

I think basically if you like your work your going to keep working no matter how much money you have. For those of us who don't have it work is about making a living, for those who do have plenty(like Mel) working isn't necessarily about making more(but it could be), but about doing a job they love.

4. rbrent

rbrent New Member

The Sooner you all go to see THE PASSION OF THE CHRIST multiple times and take others to see it too-

the Sooner Mel Gibson will become a BILLIONAIRE and the Sooner he will make a Sequel.

Do your part to help - Jump on the Bandwagon!

Help the Latin-Rite Catholics promote their version of the Crucifixion.

Help the Jesuits get out the "message"!

Rah! Rah! Rah!

Baptist Sheeple Supporting and Funding Catholic Evangelism...

I Never Thought I'd See The Day...

5. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mel Gibson is going to continue making movies. Making movies is his life. Just like to some people soldiering is his life, or being a cop is a his life, writing is his life.

The Passion, whatever he says about the spiritual value of it for him, is just another movie that happened to make him a mega millionaire.

6. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    So making $$ is sinful. Hope you all join the "Little Sisters of Charity" and signed away your paychecks, home, car . . .

Making money is part of life. If I won the lottery (really hard since I've never gambled a penny in my life) I would continue preaching and teaching the Word. It was my life.

Let Mel get paid what he gets paid. I won't give him a nickel, but others can and he will become rich. So will Bill Gates (I'm installing Office 2003 tonight).

Know the gist of the thread was a slam at Mel. But think of the millions of starving Christians around the world who look at us in our luxury and affluence. I hope they don't think money is sinful!

7. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Sounds to me like someone is a little envious here. It is not any of our business how much money this man makes from any movie. However if the movie is wicked then we should not watch it, but beyond that we are not to worry about how much someone makes or does not make.

8. vaspers

vaspers New Member

Since Mel Gibson is this great sincere Christian man now and he really loves hurting, I mean helping, Jesus Christ...

...how much of his film's profits will go to doing Christian works of charity? Feeding the poor, caring for orphans and widows, healing the sick, relieving AIDS victims in Africa, printing Bibles in native languages, etc.

Has anyone heard of Mel's charitible work plans?

I mean, maybe he really will do these things.

Let's hope so. If he doesn't need money, there are suffering believers who do need money. The Salvation Army at least.

Or will it all go to Mel and his fringe anti-Vatican II church? Hope not. Cuz then you Passsion film lovers are funding a cult.

Let's pray Mel will do the right thing with his evangelical-funded wealth.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

9. rbrent

rbrent New Member

Dr. Bob Griffin wrote:
    Now Dr. Bob - there you go again, judging motive...

No, the gist of this thread was to point out the spiritual insight of the secular Hollywood Reporter Magazine - that they recognize Mel's Movie is wildly successful because and only because

Evangelicals and Baptists of the Conservative Right have puffed, promoted, advertized and recommended Mel's Movie as:

Biblical

Scripturally accurate

True to the scriptures

Perhaps the greatest tool for evangelism in 2000 years.

There is nothing in my post above which slams Mel Gibson or says making money is evil.

Those thoughts came from your own bias (which I know you cannot help, since it was basically predestined...) [​IMG]

10. rbrent

rbrent New Member

freeatlast wrote:
    Can't any of you people read plain English? You and Dr. Bob read negative motive where there is none intended.

The Hollywood Reporter Magazine believes Mel Gibson will make north of $500 million profit on THE PASSION OF THE CHRIST.

They point out that we can reasonably expect Hollywood moguls may begin producing similar films with "Biblical" themes because Mel has succeeded in getting so many Christians who didn't go to movies, to go to movies.

How could you have missed that point?

Under the guise of doing something good, Mel Gibson is enticing Bible-Believing Christians to go to the theater.

He is encouraging Hollywood to make more movies with some kind of scriptural content so they can keep those Christians going to the movies.

And the reason for the financial success of the Catholic Mel Gibson's Catholic Movie is because Bible-Believing Christians have been shelling out the dough to make it so!

Do you think that's a good thing?

11. vaspers

vaspers New Member

rbrent--I'm with you all the way, yet...

...you and I both are susceptible to getting to the point of maybe losing a little "joy of the Lord [which} is our strength" and peace...

...due to the blatant ignorance and blind lemminglike allegiance the churchianity crowd is devoting to biblically inaccurate and irreverent films and "evangelical tools."

Relax, I say to me first, then you. Who cares? I mean good for you to point out new things, even I, the Arch Anti-Passionite Preacher, did not know...

...but who cares if the churchianity crowd is deceived? So what? Soon the whole world will line up to kiss the feet of the Anti-Christ. So let's relax and enjoy the Presence of God Within.

It's a gonna get mucho worse good friend. Much much much much worse. Boy! Is it ever!

Blessings from the true Christ Jesus of Heaven...

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. rbrent

rbrent New Member

Vaspers-

I know - but its so frustrating to watch the lemmings run over the cliff and into the sea...

I keep thinking if I warn them, maybe some of them will listen.

Did you say you got saved in a Mennonite youth camp?

I attended a private Mennonite elementary school when I was a youngster. My folks wanted to start a Christian school in our GAR Baptist Church but the pastor and powers that be didn't think Christian school was the way to go, so my folks put us kids in the only non-Catholic private school available in our town.

Love those Mennonites but I never 'bought' their pacifism.

13. vaspers

vaspers New Member

I 'buy' anything that's seems to fit the pure teachings of Jesus...I even have great love for Buddha and his teachings about gentleness to all living entities (tho I am disgusted by Buddhism and idolatry of all types)...but my wife's son is in the Army and I was born in Ft. Knox Army Hospital in Kentucky and my ancestor was a Colonel in the Civil War, a slightly famous guy, so...

...I am 100% Christian Pacifist, yet not critical of soldiers, anymore than Jesus was (He wasn't).

I hear the Mennonite denomination has gone liberal, like almost all the others. Too bad.

I also was very active in the Jesus People movement in Berkeley, California 1971 and was influenced by Larry Norman, Keith Green type music, Reach Out paraphrase, Right On newspaper, joined the Christian World Liberation Front, etc.

Our slogan was "Christ YES. Christianity NO," meaning the churchianity pew potato variety of Sunday-Only "Christian" hypocrites.

Being skeptical of hyped "evangelism tools" is old hat to me. Nothing new for me at all. But I am super interested and involved in Personal Evangelism. do you know what I mean? my veiled hint...hmmm....

Yes that beloved Mennonite church camp in 1966 or so. I'm still fond of those old memories. And yet the pastor who led me to Christ got caught up much later in British-Israelism and some other very disturbing ideas. God rest his soul.

It's so difficult finding godly pastors & churches & films...we must focus on Jesus, only Jesus, our dear and precious Savior, Friend, Advisor, Protector, Preserver, and Power Source!

Don't watch the lemmings go over the cliff...watch the Lord teach you what you need to perfect in your life as I do the same my friend.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

14. onestand

onestand New Member

If anyone understands passion for arts they'll understand you don't just hang up after a good movie and walk away. Mel is a creative person, he should be all means continue on creating awesome flicks and anything else his creativity can produce.

I have no hesitation in financially supporting this movie and seeing more, great movie.

How Mel uses his money is between him and God. It's really no one else's business, does Mel come to your church or your home and suggest what you do with your earnings?

15. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

Yes! I will!

This 'lemming' is going to run over the cliff for one reason...

I have heard so much (from both sides) about this movie that I am going to watch it (when it comes out on video) and come to my OWN conclusions.

The movie 'bashers' have made it irresistible! ;)

§ue (am grounded enough to make up my own mind) [​IMG]