1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Libertarians Dispute N.C. Election Laws

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by ASLANSPAL, Sep 27, 2005.

1. ASLANSPAL

ASLANSPAL New Member

My comment: Fledgling 3rd parties should not be
    crushed or put out to die on the vine because of
    a two party monopoly....something must be done
    to give 3rd and 4th parties a hand up and not a
    hand out. imho

Yahoo news Libertarians file suit

RALEIGH, N.C. - Libertarians filed a lawsuit to overturn election laws in North Carolina that restrict ballot access to third parties, calling them some of the nation's most stringent.

The Superior Court lawsuit filed Wednesday claims the laws deny citizens the ability to vote for candidates of their choice.

"What we're seeking is to overturn any state election law that gives special privilege to Democrats or Republicans over other voters," said Sean Haugh, executive director of the state Libertarian Party.

2. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    While I totally agree with the premise of the OP, one must be careful to NOT allow every fringe dissident to manipulate the process as could happen IF a 250 member party had access to all ballots.

The 70,000 needed seems a little steep for a legitimate party to be required to meet, but 250 is just as ridiculous (or more so) on the other end of the scale to be recognized.

In either case, the "party" needs to be recruting during the off-election season to get the numbers to the point that they can be justified in pursuing their spot on the ballots!

I have no doubts that a good solid conservative group would be successful IF the voters had a truly conservative option. This prospect seems less as time passes.