1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Lifeway and Holman off the deep end?

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Phillip, Dec 13, 2004.

1. Marathon Man

Marathon Man New Member

Not only that, but the quality of Holman Bibles, at least IMHO, is generally very good, unlike some other publishers I could name (Nelson, Crossway).

2. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

-------------------------------------------------
    Yes Phillip, your bunch are like that. [​IMG]

In His service;
    Jim

3. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Could you please explain what "bunch" you are talking about?

I'm simply showing you that the not-for-profit organizations you are showing US are just another way to run a business.

4. Bro Tony

Bro Tony New Member

Philip,

PM me with the story, I would be very interested.

Bro Tony

5. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

And Phillip;
    I am showing you a particular ministry of a local church. It is NOT a business.
    When I said your "bunch" I was not so clear. I should have expounded the idea I was attempting to convey.
    That idea is that when shown a local church ministry, worldlings, like to heap all sorts of innuendos that they are in it for some sort of hidden purpose, i.e. a way to camouflage a business. If you did not intend that, then I apologize. Obviously, however, I did understand your comments as such.
    Perhaps using "your bunch" was not correct. I am sorry if that hurt your feelings. I get SOOOO angry when folks try to heap wild, unfounded accusations on the good and godly ministries of a local church. "Ro 14:16
    Let not then your good be evil spoken of:"

In His service;
    Jim

6. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

You didn't hurt my feelings Jim and I appreciate your post. What I did mean was that a lot of Not-For-Profits are businesses and actually a church is "in a way" a business, if it pays its pastor a salary, etc. I am NOT using the word "business" as a bad thing.

The business of a church may be to provide ministry at no cost to people.

That's really all I was trying to say, but yes, there is abuse of the system and in no way do I mean to imply that the site you pointed out was someone abusing the not-for-profit rules and regulations. Nor did I mean they are trying to make a profit and hide it. Sorry, bout that.

I run a Christian Radio station. We barely get the bills paid to keep it on the air. It is still considered a business because I have to file forms and our business is not to make a profit, it is to provide Christian music to the local community and also to the state's maximum security penitentury. I take NO money out of it.

Sorry about the misunderstanding, Jim. My words may have come out wrong. I didn't go back and re-read, but I'm certainly not beyond typing something I don't really mean.

7. GeneMBridges

GeneMBridges New Member

I got the same catalog but have already tossed it. (I go though CBD for my own stuff). I wonder how close the financial planning/debt management books were into the catalog. [​IMG]

I will say that their Bibles are reasonably priced. I think the only place that I know that has Bibles as reasonable (if not more so) is the Bible Warehouse (or Bible Superstore or something like that) on I-85 South driving from SC into GA. (I think it's somewhere between Greenville and Spartanburg). Anybody ever been there?

8. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Sorry Gene old boy; There ain't nothing I lost east of the Missippi. Don't need it. [​IMG]

Except of course the close fellowship of one of my dearest friends who moved to Virginia from Idaho. (Idaho is my home)

Speaking of CBD...I was on their website and found tons and tons of recorded hymns CDs. One series (4 CDs, one of each writer) I ordered was the classics of Fanny Crosby, Charles Wesley, Isaac Watts, and Frances Havergall. Wonderful stuff!

If you want good quality KJV bibles,(leather bound, straight Bible w/no cross references, wide margin for your own notes) look at the site I posted in this thread. $40.00 is not a bad price.

In His service;
    Jim

9. GeneMBridges

GeneMBridges New Member

Actually, I was looking through my bookshelf the other night and I found my Great, Great Grandmother's Bible from 1895. I think I'm going to have it rebound.

10. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

That is really neat. I mean that.
    I have my Grandmothers and Grandfathers' Bibles. They were both missionaries. She, (while young) went to So. Africa. He, (after marriage) planted churches all over this nation. But their Bibles are "only" 80 yr old.

What a treasure you have. Cherish it my friend.

In His service;
    Jim

11. GeneMBridges

GeneMBridges New Member

It really is. My Mom has several Bibles that have come down through her family. After thumbing through a Bible that is over 100 years old, it is interesting to see where they have underlined or made notes in the margins, because it helps you see how the Holy Spirit illumined their understanding as they read and studied.

The Bible is in pretty good condition. All the pages seem intact and are not really brittle. When I opened it up and read the date written in it...1895, I was astounded.