1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Lincoln, a brilliant leader

Discussion in 'History Forum' started by Tanker, Sep 3, 2003.

1. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was not suggesting that the USA turn to aggression as a way to make our influence felt.

But you clearly indicate you approve of USA having done that in the war between the states.

There have been many more honorable ways to use that influence.

This "influence" was used-- as well as was resulted from-- as aggression in the forms of military conquest in 2 wars with Britain, 1 with Mexico, the Civil War, suppression of the native people in massacres and forced marches as well as "wars, and then a skirmish with Spain-- all this before the 20th century. And since then our "influence" has come from military involvement in other parts of the world, without which we would have had no influence.

So influence and aggression are inseparable in expanding an empire or in seeking conformity to the principles we espouse.

2. Tanker

Tanker New Member

Alcott,

Its a dangerous world out there and having a strong country and military is a virtue in my opinion. If you don't believe that, you might check with some citizens of countries that suffered from not being strong. Let me suggest Poland, France, Belgium and the Netherlands during World War II. If you prefer a country that is so weak that the outlaws of the world can run over you, then immigrate to that country. I agree that the history of the U.S. is not pure, but it is not so bad either.