1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Literal Interpretation

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by J.D., Jul 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    An allegory is simply an extended metaphor. Paul used allegory to interpret the history of Sarah and Hagar, and to make applications of the law. The Temple, the Priesthood and the offerings were all one big metaphor, an allegory.

To call Christ the Lamb of God is metaphor.

It is not non-literal to recognize allegory. In fact, one cannot know the Bible until he's learned to recognize it.

2. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In E.W. Bullinger’s classic work, Figures of Speech Used in the Bible he says this of the task of identifying figurative language:
    “When we apply this science then to God’s words and to Divine truths, we see at once that no branch of Bible study can be more important, or offer greater promise of substantial reward. It lies at the very root of all translation; and it is the key to true interpretation …”
    [Bullinger, (London; New York: Eyre & Spottiswoode; E. & J. B. Young & Co., 1898). vi.]

He goes on to say:
    Rob

3. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Tell me how, and if you have a point I'll apologize.

4. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    John...these guys are brutally honest people who are going to tell you point blank when you, me ore anyone on the BB is appearing ....OK tactfully not acting respectfully. In fact, you just excoriated a brother (probably because of some underlying issues that we should keep under raps for now) Bottom line is, ...."It Shows" ....go back to some earlier posts & review the dialog....do the brethren speak to each other in that tone? And with all do respect, Publically in front of the world? Right?

5. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have no idea what underlying issues you mean. I don't recall ever interacting with kyredneck before.

I will say that I don't appreciate or respect at all the preterists' efforts to convince people to deny the blessed future Second Coming of my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, which is a fundamental of the faith.
    I've apologized before on the BB and will do so again. I'm waiting for Aaron's answer before doing so. And wondering why kyredneck can't speak up for himself and tell me where I've attacked his character. He clearly attacked mine.

6. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

A little on the rough side, aren't you? A gentle hand might work better here.

7. psalms109:31

psalms109:31 Active Member

To many times men think it is a contest like in this story.

Luke 18:
    The Parable of the Pharisee and the Tax Collector
    9 To some who were confident of their own righteousness and looked down on everyone else, Jesus told this parable: 10 “Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. 11 The Pharisee stood by himself and prayed: ‘God, I thank you that I am not like other people—robbers, evildoers, adulterers—or even like this tax collector. 12 I fast twice a week and give a tenth of all I get.’

13 “But the tax collector stood at a distance. He would not even look up to heaven, but beat his breast and said, ‘God, have mercy on me, a sinner.’

14 “I tell you that this man, rather than the other, went home justified before God. For all those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.”

I really do believe Jesus was talking about cutting off hand He was talking about doing the extreme to get rid of sin in our own life.

In my own experience men try to put others down to make their own self seem better and that the only way to make changes around us is to start with ourselves. When we try to force changes in other peoples life especially with a plank in our own eye, they are going to make changes by getter rid of you in their life.

I dated a girl that was self-righteous a long time ago. It was like trying to walk on egg shells didn't know when I was going to do something wrong and be corrected, I didn't like it especially with her obvious flaws.

I couldn't force her to change and even pointed to her the self-righteousness, even with scripture. I simple said I think this relationship isn't going to work that I am a weaker and I am causing her to stumble and ended the relationship.

#107 psalms109:31, Jul 28, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2011
  8. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here's one example. I doubt you'll agree. You said, "Playing games with the precious Word of God? Why am I not surprised." The subtext of contempt is clear.

I don't care if you apologize or not. I wouldn't. Kentucky doesn't strike me as a pansy-butt, and I doubt he's losing sleep:sleeping_2:

But to act all offended and bail simply because someone answered in like manner? C'mon.

9. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :thumbs:
    :thumbs:

10. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    To kyredneck: I apologize for saying, "Playing games with the precious Word of God? Why am I not surprised."

11. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Give me your take on the passages. I don't care if it's metaphor, idiom, hyperbole, parable, or whatever, what does John of Japan believe Christ is saying?

12. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

think that John was asking you just what is the basis of HOW you inteprete the scriptures, as a literally view, taking word of God at its simple and plain literally sense does not seem to support your hedp positions!

13. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    “'Tis ordinarily said, that the Jews were a typical people, the whole divine economy toward them is doctrinal and instructive to us, not immediately or literally, but by way of Anagogy” - Henry Hammond

Anagoge: 1. An elevation of mind to things celestial. 2. The spiritual meaning or application; esp. the application of the types and allegories of the Old Testament to subjects of the New.

#113 kyredneck, Jul 28, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2011
  14. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you're referring to me, then you have me confused with someone else.

What I don't understand is why some of you learned scholars so readily resort to condenscending remarks. Is it a tactic to goad your opponent to anger (and FYI, I didn't get mad, am not mad now, and am perfectly willing to carry on with the dialog)?

The bottom line with me is if one shows me respect, they'll for certain get it in return.

No, I never attacked you. You gave me advice that you felt I needed to hear, and likewise, I gave you advice that I think you needed to hear.

Now, once again:

"Give me your take on the passages. I don't care if it's metaphor, idiom, hyperbole, parable, or whatever, what does John of Japan believe Christ is saying?"

15. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thread is crashing and losing direction, so will close it.

If you still have a question on a point, start a new thread, specific to that point.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.