1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Long hair on men

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Nicholas25, May 8, 2006.

1. Aubre

Aubre New Member

I agree, I don't think that any man will be refused admission from heaven because his hair was long by a long-haired Jesus.

2. standingfirminChrist

The pictures that we see on the wall that are supposed to be that of Jesus are not Jesus. They do not line up with the description of Jesus as per Bible scriptures.

Long hair? More than likely not as long as many would argue.

Nature itself teaches that it is a shame for man to have long hair. Going by that verse, Christ more than likely did not have long hair.

3. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't necessarily disagree with you about the length of Christ's hair, but one could say that he did have long hair in order to maximize his debasement for our sakes.

4. rbell

rbell Active Member

We have no idea how long Jesus' hair was.

I just know He didn't have a combover. THAT'S a sin.

5. musicforyou

musicforyou New Member

Thank you for the scripture. I do not recall reading that before and I understand where you are coming from. You also have to think about the fact that those verses are old testament and when the statement about it being a shame for a man to have long hair was made it was in the new testament long after these afore mentioned scriptures took place. Many things changed from the old testament to the new testament.

6. musicforyou

musicforyou New Member

7. Salamander

Salamander New Member

I agree, but to not ever cut your hair causes it to have split ends that only allow the hair to grow to shoulder length due to the breaking off that occurs by the friction against the shoulders being the split ends are so weak.

Anything over the collar or over the ears makes for a place for dirt to accumulate, thus the physical aspect to uncleanliness being a shame. then you have the effiminate side against men having long hair in making them appear more like a woman.

Of course only a liberal would argue against men having a neat and well-groomed appearance as opposed to long hair.

When I got saved I got a haircut, it just seemed more right than leaving it long, and I do mean L O N G!

8. AF Guy N Paradise

AF Guy N Paradise Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Really? I can't stand long hair on guys. I have to fight with my son all the time to get a haircut. Of course being in the military for 19 years and wearing a flattop for as long may make me a bit bias.

9. standingfirminChrist

Not sure that the hair issue was different from Testament to Testament.

Paul, in the New Testament spoke of cutting his hair after the time of his vow was over.

10. DodgeRamFanatic

DodgeRamFanatic New Member

I said it all in my other post: do we want to act like Christians should and point others to Christ, or do we want to look like rock 'n' roll hippies who hate God?
    DRF

11. rbell

rbell Active Member

Good point. No one with short hair EVER hated God...

12. StraightAndNarrow

StraightAndNarrow Active Member

Legalism, legelism. legelism. Who cares? Not God.

13. Gib

Gib Active Member

Acting and looking are not the same.

14. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Or maybe rock 'n' roll hippies who love God! [​IMG]

15. musicforyou

musicforyou New Member

When people see a man with a short haircut, dressed nicely, and acting like a man one of the thoughts that might pop into their head is, "hey there goes a good Christian man." (not saying that all men with short hair, dressed nicely, and acting like a man are all Christians by any means though) When someone sees a man with long hair I doubt that the last thing that pops into their mind is, "hey look there goes a Christian man." It's all about appearance. The bible says not to be stumblingblock, and while they may not be a stumblingblock to you, they may be to a newly converted Christian.

16. Gib

Gib Active Member

Musicforyou-do YOU really think that way?

I've learned through the years not to judge people by what they LOOK like.

Have you ever thought your opinion might be a stumbling block?

17. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Didn't God say something about not judging people by outside appearances in the OT somewhere???

I guess some forget that.

18. DodgeRamFanatic

DodgeRamFanatic New Member

Read my other post, will ya? Maybe judging isn't right, BUT--unsaved people will do it ( and come on, guys, so do we sometimes). We don't need to be looking just like the world--otherwise, what do we have that would show we're different from them, and show them we've got something they need bad? Don't we even care about what impression we leave for others to see?
    DRF

19. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

What does it mean to look like the "world"? What length of hair? What kind of clothes? What kind of shoes?

I hate to tell ya this, but there are people in the world that look and dress just like what some would say "christians" should look like.

I know a man in our town that is probably one of the sharpest dressed guys you would ever want to met. He is clean cut, and all those things.

Yet he does not know Christ

20. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

If they also have white shirts and a bicycle one assumes they are Mormons.

Others think of Christians as the idiots who are stupid and dumb blindly following TV preachers such as Benny Hinn.