1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Looking for a Seminary

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Steven Yeadon, Nov 12, 2023.

1. Steven Yeadon

Steven Yeadon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi,

My name is Steven Yeadon, and I want to pursue an MDiv and post graduate work at a seminary. I believe the Lord is calling me to be a pastor. I feel called to be a teacher of the Word. A shepherd of fellow believers. And to do the work of an evangelist as an elder. My desire is to also create church music, do worship leadership, be a biblical counselor, and be a scholar in exegesis of the Word and the study of church history. I am currently a repeatedly published scholar in military studies and a mental healthcare worker specializing in schizophrenia trying to be salt and light in such a dark world as mental healthcare.

I am independent Baptist and I am very conservative with my theology. I am not KJVO. I reject modern apostles and prophets for not passing biblical tests. I am against Tongues that are not a real language. I am entirely against baptizing infants as it is a dangerous false doctrine. I do not agree with Reformed soteriology. I am Provisionist. I believe music in church is about teaching the congregation with psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs, and it is not about capturing an emotional experience. I oppose Roman Catholicism and those that exalt church tradition over the bible. I am against those holding to liberal or moderate evangelical theology. I am a firm believer in church discipline. I am firm believer that works MUST be the evidence one has saving faith. I am currently single, but I want to marry. I am willing to see the viability of eschatological positions other than a pre mil pre trib rapture.

My list of seminaries is the following, but I am very willing to add new ones:

Southern Baptist Theological Seminary
    Bob Jones University Seminary
    Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary
    Virginia Beach Theological Seminary

Blessings,
    Steven

• Like Like x 1
  2. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sorry I can't help you but looks who's back!... Where have you been?... Brother Glen:)

3. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Liberty University's divinity school might be worth considering.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you reject reformed soteriology, SBTS might be a poor fit. It has a reputation for being Calvinistic.

5. Steven Yeadon

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've mainly been connected to my church and working a job these last two years. I don't really like the discussion format of this board anymore. I just don't want to get into endless debates with the same people. I'll also state that the political discussion here in 2020 really didn't sit well with me. I have a church, so the internet is not where I go to fellowship anymore. I'm also busy at work all day, most days. Thanks for asking!

6. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You have to do what's comfortable for you... I agree with you wholeheartedly, you want to grow here not stagnate... Sometimes the best thing to is just walk away... I stay out of the political arena, not my cup of tea... Just curious but you have cured my curiosity... Hope you find what you need, while you are here... Brother Glen:)

7. Steven Yeadon

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you. Yes, Southern appears Calvinistic and so did Virginia Beach Theological Seminary. I contacted Virginia Beach and confirmed they are Calvinistic in curriculum. Southern's curriculum is very similar to Virginia Beach, I've noticed. I'll not be considering these two seminaries anymore.

8. taisto

taisto Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Have you considered Bethlehem Seminary in Minneapolis?

9. Steven Yeadon

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't subscribe to Christian hedonism per John PIper. So I don't think it would be a good pick. Thank you though.

10. robt.k.fall

robt.k.fall Member

Then there is Maranatha Baptist University mbu,edu

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. taisto

taisto Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then Southern Seminary will likely need to be dropped from your list as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. TheOldJudge

TheOldJudge Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would second Brother Fall's recommendation. Maranatha Baptist University has a top-notch seminary attached to it: Maranatha Baptist Seminary. Dr. David Anderson, the University president and Seminary dean, spoke at my church two Sundays ago. Simply based on his passion for the Word of God and his unquenchable thirst to develop men into preachers of the Gospel, it would be an excellent place to study.

Maranatha Baptist Seminary | Preparing His Servants for Gospel Ministry (mbu.edu)

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I third Brother Fall about Maranatha. My son got his BA there, and he and I graduated from there the same year with the MA in Biblical Studies. It's a great school. He went on to get an MDiv at a now defunct seminary in PA, then on to Southeastern BTS for his PhD in NT under noted scholar David Alan Black.

He and I now teach together at Baptist College of Ministry and Theological Seminary (Baptist College of Ministry - Menomonee Falls, WI). You sound close in beliefs and positions to what we are. We have a very strong revival emphasis in the mold of John R. Rice, Ed Nelson, and Wayne Van Gelderen Sr. We have graduated a couple of men with the MDiv, but mostly concentrate on the MA degrees, including an MA in Bible Translation--a very rare degree indeed.

We have an awesome music program, and many students come here just for the music: mostly traditional hymns and classical music concerts, though we sing quite a few hymns in the traditional style written by faculty members. Check out some of our productions at: https://www.youtube.com/@FallsBaptistProductions

Here is one of my favorite Christmas numbers by two of our music faculty:

#13 John of Japan, Nov 30, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Piper

Piper Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is Faith Baptist Bible College and Seminary. Faith: A regionally accredited Bible College & Seminary in Ankeny, IA
    The Master's Seminary The Master's Seminary | Train for Ministry. Lives Depend On It.
    Central Baptist Seminary in Minneapolis (Dr. Bob, the administrator here, and I, graduated there) Central Baptist Theological Seminary - Plymouth, Minnesota

Here is an example of the kind of thing you'd get at Central.
    Erecting the Right Fences in the Right Places, Part Five: Why Primary Doctrines Are Worth Fighting For - Central Baptist Theological Seminary