1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Lord of the Rings Trilogy / The Hobbit

Discussion in 'Books & Publications Forum' started by Rev. G, Sep 17, 2002.

1. Rev. G

Rev. G New Member

Have any Baptists out there read THE LORD OF THE RINGS trilogy? Thoughts? Comments? Anybody enjoy it? Anybody think it is "demonic"? Just curious.

Rev. G

2. Brother Adam

Brother Adam New Member

Demonic? You're joking right? JRR Tolkien was a Christian. He was good friends with CS Lewis (his Screwtape letters book is dedicated to Tolkien). In fact, one brought the other to Christ.

Anyways, I've read some of the Hobbit. I thought it was a great book and hope to read all of the trilogy one day.

Bro. Adam

3. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Read all four... Way back when!... Thought they were great stories and hours of reading entertainment... Good vs Evil... Took it for what is was Fantasy Literature!... Good Escapism... And I saw the first movie! Waiting for the next three... I feel the Hobbit will be remade with real people!... Brother Glen [​IMG]

4. kman

kman New Member

I read them when I was a teenager. Am actually rereading them now. I find Tolkien an awesome story teller! He is hard to beat, in regards to fantasy/fiction.

-kman

5. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

Brother Adam asked:

Demonic? You're joking right? JRR Tolkien was a Christian.

In the broad sense, at least - he was Roman Catholic.

In fact, one brought the other to Christ.

Yes, Tolkien was instrumental in Lewis' conversion. In his public works, Lewis tends to downplay this - in Surprised by Joy the story of his admitting that God exists is longer and more dramatic than his conversion from theism to Christianity. He says only that between leaving on a 1931 trip to the zoo and arriving there, he became a Christian.

What he doesn't say was that this was the culmination of a long talk with Tolkien and another friend, Hugo Dyson, the night before. Tolkien appealed to Lewis' love of myth and argued that Christianity was a true myth invented by a real God. I believe that detail comes out in one of his letters.

Anyways, I've read some of the Hobbit. I thought it was a great book and hope to read all of the trilogy one day.

The Hobbit is great, but it's a kid's book, especially compared to the trilogy.

[ September 17, 2002, 04:52 PM: Message edited by: Ransom ]

6. lizajane

lizajane New Member

The first time I read these books was when I was eight years old. I have re-read them many times since then, and am actually making my way through them right now. These are fabulous books for young and old alike.

7. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I read 'em in high school & highly recommend them. FIrst flick was great. Looks like the next one will be, as well.

8. Rev. G

Rev. G New Member

From my own perspective, I greatly enjoy Tolkien's work. I do not think they are demonic - I know that Tolkien's work points out the struggle of good vs. evil and the corrupting influence of power. Still, there are some out there who would claim that this work is "ungodly" because of the wizards, elfs, etc. I just put that out there to see what people thought, that's all.

Rev. G

9. Jonathan

Jonathan Member
    Site Supporter

Actually he was an Anglican who appears to have been quite honest in his approach to Scripture.

10. Rev. G

Rev. G New Member

Folks, thanks for the e-mails and all. Please know that I understand Tolkien's position (particularly in regard to wizards, elves and the rest). Again, I comprehend the work and thoroughly enjoy it. Not only do I own all the books, I bought a DVD player just so I could have the new movies on DVD and enjoy them for a lifetime! I just know that not everyone views Tolkien the same way I (many of us) do. [​IMG]

Rev. G

11. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

12. Wisdom Seeker

Wisdom Seeker New Member

Yes, I've read the Hobbit, and the Lord of the Rings Trilogy: The Fellowship of the Ring, The Two Towers, and the Return of The King. And now my 10 year old son is reading them.

J.R. Tolkien was indeed a Christian. He's also a very good story teller... These books are very good, and very well written.

I'm reading the Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis to my girls at bedtime. A fantasy also written by a Christian. Who I understand knew J.R. Tolkien.

As far as the J.R. Tolkien books being demonic... the books are a story of the battle between good and evil , and that good (Hobbits, Elves, Wizards, and Humans) will ultimately prevail over evil. These books are classics. I've seen the movie and in fact have it on DVD. It's marvelous. I can't wait until the next one.

I'm sure there will be fanatics that will take these works of fiction and say that a Christian shouldn't read them...because they assume that the faith of a Christian can be knocked off it's foundation easily. They will undoubtedly base there opinon on here-say and not on personal experience, as is often the case. But, I having read them, say this is not so. I have found nothing in them that would hinder my walk with Christ. [​IMG]

[ September 19, 2002, 04:49 PM: Message edited by: WisdomSeeker ]

13. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

Just as an interesting and bizarre aside, was anyone else aware that "Tolkienism" has actually reached the status of a religious cult in Russia, with several thousand adherents?

Amongst other things (I suppose), Tolkienists believe that hobbits actually inhabit the earth and dispense wisdom.

14. Eladar

Eladar New Member

Rev. G

Please check your profile for my pm. It may be info you already know, but maybe not.

By the way, has anyone here read the Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales or any of the History of Middle Earth?

I will delete this once I get a reply from Rev. G

Thanks for your patience.

15. Wisdom Seeker

Wisdom Seeker New Member

No I haven't. I didn't know there was more.

16. Eladar

Eladar New Member

WisdomSeeker,

I've sent you a PM too.

17. Rev. G

Rev. G New Member

Tuor:

Thanks - I received the message.

Yes, I've got the Silmarillion and the History of Middle Earth. Great stuff, huh?

Rev. G

18. Eladar

Eladar New Member

I spoke too soon when I said I'd delete the posts. I didn't know we didn't have that ability at this site.

Rev G.

I guess there is something wrong with the PM message because it says you never read it.

As to your question:

Some of it I like, others I don't. Which volumes of The History of Middle Earth have you read? I'm really surprised you have even heard of them. Most people are like WisdomSeeker and haven't even heard of them.

By the way, by your response, I think that you aren't exactly telling the truth. I think you thought that the History of Middle Earth was a single book.

[ September 19, 2002, 11:24 PM: Message edited by: Tuor ]

19. g_1933

g_1933 New Member

Those books are great! I also enjoyed the movie and am looking forward to the next one. I have heard people discussing both sides for and against it being demonic. I would just say that if it is a stumbling block to you then by all means stay away from it! But if you argue with your brother or sister about it and cause divisions then you are both wrong anyway.

20. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

WisdomSeeker said:

No I haven't. I didn't know there was more.

The Silmarillion was originally intended to be the sequel to The Hobbit, but Tolkien's publishers talked him out of it. He published it later - after the Lord of the Rings trilogy, I believe.

I have a copy, but I haven't read more than the table of contents and a few pages since I bought it, and it's packed up at my parents' place along with many of my other books that I accumulated during my university years. Essentially, The Silmarillion is the story of the creation of Middle-earth and how the Rings of Power came to be.

The History of Middle-earth volumes, of which there are around 20 right now if I remember correctly, are Tolkien's notes, published posthumously by his son Christopher. His attention to detail in creating his fantasy world is amazing; I have read none of these as yet, but as I understand it, essentially these volumes comprise the history of the various cultures in Middle-earth, languages, and backstory for LotR.