1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Lousiana (Baptist) College and New Seminary

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Rhetorician, Feb 6, 2011.

1. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    To all who have an interest:

Lousiana (Baptist) College is starting a new seminary or grad school of religion. Do we, as Southern Baptists, need another "denominational" seminary? What is to become of our denominational seminaries--"The Big Six?"

Please let me hear from you even if you are not an "SBC hand!"

Check it out and get back to me. You must scroll down to the middle of the page to see the announcement:

http://news.lacollege.edu/index.php/page/2/

Let me hear from you!

"That is all!" :thumbs:

2. Greektim

Greektim Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Will it be a SBC school? Or just a Baptist affiliated school? Would it really be a SBC school with NOBTS down the road??? Seems kinda weird.

3. Ruiz

Ruiz New Member

I am not a Southern Baptist so take my comments with a grain of salt.

Personally, I would love to see the seminary systems get away from the current institutional seminary structure to becoming more accountable to local Pastors and local people. Thus, if this is what is happening, I am all for it. I also am for Theologian/Pastors being the primary instructors.

Thus, I am all for different types of seminaries competing. Yet, if the school is merely using the same model as the other six, it won't be worth it.

4. Joseph M. Smith

Joseph M. Smith New Member

This feels like a continuation of a trend that we have seen for some time ... state-level Baptist colleges becoming less and less comfortable with the posture of the SBC seminaries. Think about Wake Forest, Gardner-Webb, Baylor, Samford and other schools with their own divinity schools.

Then there are the free-standing schools like BTSR, John Leland, Baptist Seminary of Kentucky (which has recently taken up lodgings at Georgetown College, so may be en route to being a divinity school). We are getting lots of Baptist seminaries, and, as much as I sympathize with this movement theologically, I wonder how practical it is. A million dollar gift sounds large, but not when you consider all the costs involved. I spent three terms as a trustee at Leland and can tell you that funding is a tough thing to resolve.