1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

LSU ---- it just isn't fair!!!

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by blackbird, Jan 5, 2008.

1. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

I grew up in Baton Rouge----been to countless Tiger football games

I do not bleed "Purple and Gold", though---but I do like the Tigers

Here's the scoop

I now live here in Alabama---the Heart of Dixie---married an Auburn grad I met in Seminary(NOBTS)

But thats all I hear around here

LSU playing for the National Championship

"It just isn't fair!!"

"They don't deserve to play!!"

"We almost beat them!!"---says a jealous "Tide" fan

"We almost beat them!!"---says a jealous "War Chicken" fan

Then I listen to WJOX---all sports radio and hear those bias sportscastors say the same---"doggin'" out Coach Miles---nothing to say about Matt Flynn and and the LSU offense----nothing to say about Glen Dorsey and the LSU defense

Just exactly who deserves to play---Hawaii???---undefeated in regular season---but creamed like a bunch of ladies in skirts playing in high heel shoes

Exactly who deserves to play Ohio State???

Rally behind me---LSU fans!!!!!

Your friend,
    Blackbird

2. rbell

rbell Active Member

WJOX caters to the "rabid redneck" fans...I listen on occasion, but I get tired of some of the yahoos.

I think most folk's I'm associated with down here (AL as well):
    • Wish LSU well (hey, they're SEC);
    • Don't begrudge them the chance to play for the title.
    Of course, one must admit that it's not often that a 2-loss team gets a shot. But such has been this year with NCAA football.

3. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

LSU deserves to be playing in the championship game as much as anyone else this year. It was just a crazy year with every good team getting knocked off at some point.

They are just jealous Blackbird, don't let it bug ya.

It should also be noted that the 2 loses were I believe both in atleast double OT.

4. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "We did beat them!" --says a jealous (that loss to MO hurt badly!) Razorback fan!

5. Nomad

Nomad New Member

I think LSU deserves to be there as much as anyone else. Many would say USC is better right now, but they disqualified themselves by losing to Stanford (as well as Oregon). If the Tigers win, most of the whining should subside.

6. JustPassingThru

Site Supporter

As a Razorbacker living in Missouri, with a son who is a cocky Mizzou grad, I feel your pain, brother!

7. TomVols

TomVols New Member

LSU saying their losses shouldn't matter because they were not in regulation is like saying a bank robber should be exonerated because he didn't rob the place during business hours. So what?

Face it: without a playoff, this is what we're left with: 2 teams arbitrarily picked by an alleged objective system. Who knows what would happen with a 4/6/8 team playoff. But we aren't there. Who says LSU should be in? Who says OSU should be?

Doesn't matter. It's OSU and LSU. Bama and Auburn should shut up whining. But we know they won't because they can't.

8. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is probably the biggest BCS mixup since 2001, when there were also several teams that could have claimed their spot in the NC, but lost in their last game, then it came down to Nebraska, who lost its last game to Colorado, 62-36! But, unlike 2001, there is no team which is clearly heand&shoulders above any of the rest of them, certainly including Ohio St. which lost to Illinois. I personally think either Kansas or Missouri were more "deserving" of a shot than LSU, but they both had to lose at the wrong times-- again, wrong times meaning their last game. And whereas the Championship Game of the Big 12 took away such a shot, the SEC's CG gave it back.

This is not how college football should operate. A team losing its last game should not be considered more negative of the team's quality than losing before then. But that is the very thing that happend in 2001-- the computers, incapable of bias toward when a team lost gave the shot to a team which was blown out in its final game; and then, of course, blown out in the Championship.

I think playoffs are the only answer. But even then there would [supposedly] still be conferences that have a championship game, while some don't, and that would figure into who even gets into the playoffs.

As it's only a couple of hours to game time, I do predict LSU will beat Ohio St. And Kansas, the only remaining BCS conference team with 'only' one loss, may get a few AP votes for #1.

9. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

And the final score

LSU 38

Ohio St. 24

10. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

I am so glad that the unmentionable school in OH did not win. Thank you LSU.

11. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

SEC:

9 of 12 teams go to bowls
    7 of those 9 win
    5 of those 7 finish in the top 15
    2 of those five finish 1-2
    and yet another NC for the SEC

any questions?

#11 NaasPreacher (C4K), Jan 8, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2008
  12. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Congrats to LSU on a total dominating game!

Seems like OSU should go back to the Rose Bowl and start playing those PAC 10 teams, eh?

13. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

The gent do make a point or three.

Ed

14. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Point is (or was) that with the possible exception of Hawaii, who probably was not quite as strong, simply due to the level of the competition over the entire schedule, as some of the other teams, every top team managed to suffer a melt-down of their own making at some point in the season, prior to the bowls. At least ten teams had the "National Championship game squarely in their sights; and all the same teams managed to play themselves out of the picture at one point or another. LSU and OSU merely managed to not lose the "War of Attrition" to the degree, and at the same battle sites, as did the others.

Ed

15. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah. Why did one of those 7, that won a bowl game, lose to Louisiana-Monroe? :laugh:

16. chuck2336

chuck2336 Member

I think the Longhorn bowl, um I mean the Holiday bowl should be a BCS Bowl simpy because that just seems to be where we go.

As a Longhorn all I have to say about this year is , "When does baseball start?"

Chuck2336

17. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

I is one happy Bayou Bengal fan! Geaux Tigers!