1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

LU grad programs

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by StefanM, May 21, 2005.

1. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What about LU's graduate ministry programs?

Also, what about the DL programs?

2. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Liberty's DLP is very, very good.

3. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How does it work? From looking at the website and from what you have said, I'm quite interested.

4. wtrsju

wtrsju New Member

It's very easy. I attended Liberty as a resident student for undergrad. Many people took DLP classes there, even though they were resident students. The format was done through video, but I believe last year they updated to a internet format for most classes. The same profs. that teach the resident students, also teach the DLP classes. Although I was not a seminary student there, as far as I know the seminary has a great academic reputation. Hope that helps.

5. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    How does it work?

Let me describe it to you, briefly.

When you sign up for a class (at certain times), you will purchase textbooks and dvd/video tape lectures (usually around 25 lectures). On the older classes you will also have to order a booklet that contains the course syllabus, lecture outlines, assignments, etc. On the newer classes all of that is on the web (blackboard).

Once you recieve the material you follow the course outline. Usually there will be assigned reading (etc) to be done prior to watching a lecture. Sometimes this reading can be very heavy, other times it is very light. It just depends upon the lesson. During the lecture you must take good notes (on the lecture outline). Most classes require at least one or two major papers (other classes require more). Some classes, though not all, have message board requirements as well. Tests are usually given by a proctor. Sometimes they are MC/TF other times they are essay. Either way the tests are very difficult and, if you are not careful to study, you will get a shocking grade (studying is very important). However if you work through the material and study hard, you will do fine on the tests. I have usually taken two classes at a time. I will give myself at least a week of study time before I take the tests. The number of tests changes from class to class. Some classes will have several, others only a mid-term and a final. Some of the newer classes are putting the tests online. Those are timed very tightly so there is no time to "cheat". What I have noticed, when the test is online, the class average drops (I suppose most think because the test is online it will be easier, etc). In one class I finished (Christian Leadership) one of the essay tests had a class average of 36! My grade was much better because I read the material and studied. I got the feeling that most were not doing that. In other words...trying to cut corners will not work.

Some classes do not have DVD/Video lectures. Those classes (very few of them) require more papers, reading, projects (etc) than the video classes (to make up for the lack of lectures).

You do have time-limits on courses. I try to have a course done at least a few weeks in advance of the deadline. This avoids problems with the US Postal Service and a slow grading professor.

I am not trying to make it sound difficult. While it is a little more difficult than on-campus studies it is very "doable" (if that is a word). I am just saying that it is alot of work and study. Some seem to think that distance education is easier. While I can't speak for other programs I can honestly say that Liberty's DLP is no joke. It is demanding, but well worth the work/time! I have learned so, so much during my MAR program. I have enjoyed the entire experience. Of course I had my favorite classes. However even on my less than favorite classes I have been challenged and I have learned alot.

The academic advisors at Liberty are very helpful, and the professors are great to work with. A word about the lectures. The profs on the lectures are the best profs Liberty has. The video/dvds are of high quality.

I hope I have covered everything. Any questions? Feel free to ask (on board, or email) and I will try to give you an answer.

Martin.

6. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What about language classes?

7. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The greek class did not have dvd lectures. It involved books, etc. I don't know about the DLP Hebrew because I did the week modular option on that. I just know that Hebrew is not my favorite subject, though I love greek. I had about a year of greek from the Bible college level and I have purchased text books on my own and studied it. I am planning on purchasing this cd program so I can learn more. I will also take more advanced classes in the future.

In fact you can view the materials Liberty uses for this class at this page. . Click on NGRK506-ONLINE and then submit and you will see the materials. Hebrew (OTCL505) does have videos btw.

Martin.

8. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The greek class did not have dvd lectures. It involved books, etc. I don't know about the DLP Hebrew because I did the week modular option on that. I just know that Hebrew is not my favorite subject, though I love greek. I had about a year of greek from the Bible college level and I have purchased text books on my own and studied it. I am planning on purchasing this cd program so I can learn more. I will also take more advanced classes in the future.

In fact you can view the materials Liberty uses for this class at this page. . Click on NGRK506-ONLINE and then submit and you will see the materials. Hebrew (OTCL505) does have videos btw.

Martin.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Thanks. The link you provided is to quite a nice setup!

9. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Thanks. The link you provided is to quite a nice setup!"

==Your welcome. Please let me know if you choose Liberty. Liberty has done a great job with distance education. What they have done proves that schools who say that "can't" properly do graduate theological education through a distance learning program are wrong. I think many schools just don't want to put the work into developing a solid program like Liberty's. Also there are alot of people who are "stuck in the mud of the way things have been" and they do not want to change methods. The fact is education is changing, mainly graduate education, and theological schools should embrace that change. Liberty has and I thank God for them. I think alot of this has to do with the vision God has given to Dr Jerry Falwell. Falwell, at every step of the way, has been ready and willing to do whatever it takes to get quality education to people. I heard him say once that if someone says to him, "well we have never done it that way before", he will tell them that we are doing it that way now. I can only pray that God will raise up more Jerry Fawells to lead Godly theological schools into the future of graduate education. That means distance education, remote campuses, etc.

In Christ,
    Martin.

10. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

I'm proud of my M.A. in counseling from Liberty because I worked hard for it! LU is excellent in DL.