1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Luther & Calvinism

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Hawaiiski, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Hawaiiski

Hawaiiski New Member

What were Martin Luther's theological views regarding what is commonly referred to as 5-point Calvinism?

2. skypair

skypair Active Member

Hawaii,

Someone may correct me but it seems Lutheranism believes in "consubstantiation" -- that Christ is "under" the elements of the Eucharist rather than, as the Catholics believed, the elements are changed into the blood and flesh of Christ ("transubstantiation").

Calvin took the Eucharist's strictly symbolic meaning but maintained that "grace" was transmitted and received through the elements.

Otherwise, I don't know that there is any difference.

skypair

3. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Luther and Calvin both held to election and predestination, it seems.

THIS ARTICLE is by Don Matzat titled Martin Luther and the Doctrine of Predestination.

#3 pinoybaptist, Feb 25, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2008
  4. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your post has absolutely nothing to do with the OP . The question dealt with the 5 points and how much Luther shared with Calvinism in that regard .

5. danthebaptist

danthebaptist New Member

Rippon,

You are correct, the peculiar belief of Lutherans concerning the elements in the Lord's supper which makes them slightly differnet from the church of Rome, has nothing to do with TULIP.

From everything I've read of Luther, he was as nearly as Calvinistic as Calvin, just wasn't as concise in stating his beliefs as Calvin was.

I recently was listening to a "Baptist" on the radio preach on the glories of Luther. I got ill and had to turn it off.

Would the real Luther please stand up? The man hated Jews and anabaptists. He stated that it would be best if a millstone were tied around the necks of both and they should be cast in the sea. Does this sound like the kind of fellow we should quote from??

So many so called Baptists today want to be protestant. I don't understand that.

Luther the great reformer???? The man was buried upon his own request with his rosary in his hand.

6. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I am sorely lacking in knowledge of church history. I thought Baptists were Protestants.
    What is the difference?

Church history is another area where I think we are lacking. I think all churches today should teach church history. I believe it's important to understand how we got to where we are.

7. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

This deserves its own thread. Some will say yes, some will say no way, and some will say maybe.

I agree.

As to the OP, this is just a memory from my bygone readings, but I am pretty sure Luther denied Limited Atonement, Irresitable Grace and Perserverance of the Saints. Although those terms had not been defined at the time of Luther, his teachings and the Lutheran theology that followed him most likely deny those 3 points of the TULIP. I am more than willing to be corrected on this, since my statements are off-the-cuff.

8. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Good idea Andy. I'll start that thread now.

I don't want to mess up this one.:thumbs: