1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Luther Rice Name Change?

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Martin, Dec 26, 2005.

1. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    According to the TRACS web-site Luther Rice Bible College and Seminary is changing its name. The new name is Luther Rice University. They also have gained Reaffirmation II status to offer Certificates, Bachelors, Masters, doctors, and distance learning degrees.

Anyone know anything else?

There is no mention of the name change on the LRS website.

Also Piedmont Baptist College is now Piedmont Baptist College and Graduate School. TRACS says they are adding a PhD in Biblical Studies.

Martin.

Click Here For TRACS Report

2. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Martin,

Since colleges do not normally offer graduate degrees (especially PhD's), I would expect this to happen some time.

God bless

Wayne

3. Broadus

Broadus Member

I don't understand why (if indeed they are) Luther Rice is changing its name. Many institutions are changing their names from "college" to "university," but they typically are fairly small affairs without separate schools. It seems a bit presumptuous.

LRS offers the DMin, as do many seminaries. I see no valid reason for a name change.

Bill

4. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==I agree. The only reason I could see for the change is maybe they are looking to expand their programs. Maybe they are looking to be more like Liberty, Temple, or Bob Jones. I don't know this as a fact I am just trying to guess.

Martin. [​IMG]

5. Pipedude

Pipedude Active Member

I was on the Piedmont campus a few years ago and, despite the fine job they may have been doing, I saw nothing that would make the think that an accrediting association would possibly have approved them for a graduate program. But now I hear that they will be offering an accredited PhD?

Either Piedmont has made a quantum leap in resources or TRACS is suspect. Anybody have any data on which it is?

6. Broadus

Broadus Member

I was on the Piedmont campus a few years ago and, despite the fine job they may have been doing, I saw nothing that would make the think that an accrediting association would possibly have approved them for a graduate program. But now I hear that they will be offering an accredited PhD?

Either Piedmont has made a quantum leap in resources or TRACS is suspect. Anybody have any data on which it is?
    </font>[/QUOTE]Could the answer be "neither"? Perhaps your sources about Piedmont's purported new PhD are incorrect.

Is there any TRACS-accredited institution which offers the PhD, with the exception of Liberty (which is also regionally-accredited)? Southern California Seminary offers the Doctor of Psychology, and many other TRACS seminaries offer the DMin, but the PhD is a whole different ballgame.

If Piedmont does offer a PhD, then I would agree that Piedmont must have made quite a leap in resources (and faculty--though well-credentialed for undergrad and masters programs) or TRACS is slipping.

Bill

7. gopchad

gopchad New Member

</font>[/QUOTE]Could the answer be "neither"? Perhaps your sources about Piedmont's purported new PhD are incorrect.

Is there any TRACS-accredited institution which offers the PhD, with the exception of Liberty (which is also regionally-accredited)? Southern California Seminary offers the Doctor of Psychology, and many other TRACS seminaries offer the DMin, but the PhD is a whole different ballgame.

If Piedmont does offer a PhD, then I would agree that Piedmont must have made quite a leap in resources (and faculty--though well-credentialed for undergrad and masters programs) or TRACS is slipping.

Bill
    </font>[/QUOTE]I am a current Piedmont Student, and can confirm that they are adding a PHD program starting the Fall of '06 the last I heard. In terms of qualifications, I'll leave that to the experts, but I can attest that the MBS program I am in is pretty rigorous.

8. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I talked to someone in admissions last week about their PhD program. The qualifications for admission into the program are tough. It will be a good program. I think Piedmont is a "up and coming" school even though the school has been around a while. Other "up and coming" schools include Southern Evangelical Seminary, Trinity Evangelical Divinity School, Trinity College of the Bible and Seminary (when they get RA), Liberty Baptist Theological Seminary, Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary. Some of those schools are larger than others, and some are further along than others. However I do believe those schools, with Piedmont, are the "up and coming" theological schools.

Martin. [​IMG]

9. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==TRACS is not as "tough" as regional agencies. However TRACS is a good starting point for a school like Piedmont. It gives them real accreditation and thus allows them to grow from there. I am sure that sooner or later PBC will go for regional accreditation. TRACS also makes a good "add on" accrediting agency (ie...TRACS plus RA).

In Christ,
    Martin. [​IMG]

10. Broadus

Broadus Member

Are additional faculty members expected to be hired? Would Piedmont be the first TRACS-only accredited institution to offer the PhD?

Martin: I wouldn't consider TEDS and SEBTS as "up and coming." I think they are far beyond that designation and are basically on the same level as Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, Southwestern, and Dallas.

Bill