1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Luxury Bibles All the Rage: Million Dollar Bible Finally Finished

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Jerome, Dec 6, 2016.

1. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Kickstarter-funded 'Bibliotheca' version is available as five volumes in a solid walnut slipcase for $298.00:

http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct...lion-dollar-bible-is-finally-fin.html?start=1

Crossway has a similar product The ESV Reader's Bible (free of verse numbers and footnotes), six volumes in cowhide with walnut slipcase for $499.99:

http://www.readersbible.org/production-2/

This ESV Reader's set is some Bible. Specs:

"TYPFEFACE

typeface Trinité was inspired by the ideal harmony found in Renaissance incunabula

Type | Trinité No. 2 Roman
    Designer | Bram de Does
    Foundry | Enschedé Type Foundry
    Size | 12 point

PRINTER

Legatoria Editoriale Giovanni Olivotto

Founded | 1900
    Printing Location | Comune di Lavis, Trentino, Italy
    Binding Location | Comune di Vicenza, Veneto, Italy

PAPER

Imported from Sweden

Stock | Munken Premium Cream uncoated paper
    Weight | 80 gsm
    Thickness | 104 microns
    Bulk | 1.3

COVER MATERIAL

Cowhide over Board

Manufacturer | Gruppo Dani S.p.A., Comune di Arzignano, Veneto, Italy
    Material | Fine grain Dani Panama cowhide leather
    Color | 5300 Black

SLIPCASE

Handcrafted by Amish craftsmen in northern Indiana

Wood species | American Black Walnut (juglans nigra)
    Tree size | 100–120 ft tall
    Tree diameter | 2–3 ft
    Wood hardness | 1,010 lbf"

2. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    I see the need for a Bible that will stand up to hard knocks, rest easy in the hand and be easy on the eye, for decades. Not cheap.

Not for me. I'm hard on books of all types: stains, broken spines, etc. Alas, I love books but can't seem to take care of them. So I usually buy something affordable — a $5 Holman, a $30 ESV, a $20 NET. Not to mention a number of paperbacks.

Truth is, I use digital almost exclusively now. Much better searching and comparing one text to another. I still have my beloved printed editions, but they are much safer when I don't handle them.

But if you're a person who wants to hold a Bible in his hand, I don't begrudge someone for spending a bit of money on a Bible that will, perhaps, last for generations. Even pricey Bibles of today pale in comparison to what a Geneva or King James would have cost four centuries ago. It doesn't seem out of line to pay for a Bible what a few pair of high-end basketball shoes cost.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Bible Thumpin n Gun Totin

Bible Thumpin n Gun Totin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I got me one of them $300 dollar Bibles. The reasons being are as follows:

1. I'm very young (22) and I want to have the same Bible, with all my notes, for my whole life.
    2. When I die, I want my future kids/grandkids/great-grandkids, and my future wife (whoever that is) to have those notes, and to have their daddy's/husband's Bible to guide them when they need it.

In order to accomplish both items I need a Bible that lasts a long time, therefore I went for a Bible that was bound rather than all the cheap ones today, which are glued. These bound Bibles are excellent quality, but not cheap. When a bound Bible wears out, a Book Binder can rebind it, and it's good as new (had this done to one of my 1850s Hymn Books). Therefore my $300 Bible will outlast myself, my children, and my grandchildren. Then, when the binding breaks, my great-grandchildren just rebind it :)

All of that is worth the $300, and then some, to me....but I'm a bit odd for my age I suppose ;)

• Like Like x 1
  4. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

You're just weird BTnGT!!! :D My hubby got an Allan Bible when he was ordained and that thing is gorgeous!! I'm jealous just a little bit. :D

• Like Like x 1
  5. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I can understand paying generously for a Bible that will last. But a "luxury Bible" for huge bucks? Ridiculous. Send the money to a missionary. There was never a time in our decades in Japan that we had enough funds to do what we wanted to do for Christ. But back in the homeland, many believers were living in luxury. Remember, we all have to face Jesus someday.

• Winner Winner x 2
  6. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    About 20 years ago, I paid $150 for a genuine Cambridge Edition KJV with leather cover. (I dunno what kind of leather; the facts about leather are unknown to me.) I have read it through several times, handling it CAREFULLY as I did so. It remains pretty well pristine.

I'm happy that it's COPYRIGHTED. Thus, I know my copy is authentic, straight from the press of Cambridge U. or whoever their printer was at the time, unaltered by anyone, just as the scholars at Cambridge drew it up. you KJVOs out there who holler about copyrighted Bible translations should be JUST THE OPPOSITE, not trusting any NON-COPYRIGHTED Bibles, as someone mighta altered it.