1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Marijuana

Discussion in 'Health and Wellness' started by Mississippi John, Apr 29, 2010.

1. padredurand

padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, sir, it is you who do not understand. I've spent thousands of hours working with people with chemical dependency diagnoses - both physical and psychological. I've heard your rationalizations out of more mouths than yours. Deal with some facts instead of the well wore rhetoric of a drug users:

1. It is against the law. Mississippi has some what decriminalized possession of one ounce or less to a fine. Jail time can be imposed for larger amounts. Regardless, marijuana is illegal to possess. To obtain marijuana one must purchase it. Sale and distribution of marijuana is illegal. Purchasing weed is participating in the commission of a crime.

2. Inhaling marijuana subjects the user to 4 times the tar found in a cigarette. Healthy choice?

3. Every major medical study has rejected the smoking of marijuana for pain relief. It is one form of antagonistic therapy that the risks outweigh any potential benefit.

4. The use, possession and promotion of drug use - in no way - honors God and a moves the individual toward a life of holiness and sanctification.

Mississippi John, your tired excuses smack of a lost, unregenerate world . The Bible says, "And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect."
    Romans 12:2 NAS77

Name one way your use of drugs demonstrates the transforming power of Christ. Name one way it shows the will of God. Show one way, consistant with the whole of Scripture where the use of drugs demonstrates that which is good, acceptable and perfect.

2. Mississippi John

your use of drugs .

I never said I used drugs. Go back and read my posts

I said that my doctor recommended it to me. My decision was not to use it because of legal issues. Go read my posts.

It's obvious to most , I'm sure, that you will always believe that you are correct....and me and my kind are a bunch of hippy potheads.

Watch out for that log in your eye as you attempt to pull a splinter from mine, Padre.

3. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

I'm still waiting for how I would not understand about addiction to marijuana, yet you (who tells us that he doesn't use it) do understand the addiction?

4. padredurand

padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Care to answer any of the questions I asked?

As for "you and your kind". I've sat face to face with a teen who said, "It's only weed." The same young man who was incarcerated at age 14 for robbing a store so he could get more weed. Or the 38 year old man who begged me not to report his positive urine test to his parole officer. The same man who emphatically said he loved his children but spent all the family money on crack and weed. How about the 24 year old woman who ran over a developmentally disabled man as he rode to his mothers home on his bicycle. I've sat with hundreds of folk who started with the attitude it's just weed. Hippies pot heads? In my experience it would be more accurate to say they were lost folks whose greatest need was a Savior. They tried drugs instead.

I'm very aware of my "log", but I wasn't the one supporting the use of marijuana. And I think you said you preferred yours in brownies.

5. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Being that pot is one of Alabama's cash crops, let me give you my take:

Leave it alone!

The first lie is: "its just a little weed" But then it moves on to "oh, well I can quit anytime I want to" and then pretty soon because you've been desensitized to the fact that the Holy Spirit is supposed to be in control of a Christian's life and not a drug, you begin looking for something stronger because the weed isn't doing the trick anymore.

Or worse, some dishonest vendor doctors your weed with something else in order to get you hooked on something they can make more money from.

Use zofran if your nauseaus. Suffer if you have to (yes I know what I'm asking!). But you represent Christ to the world. Don't let His reputation suffer because you are afraid or in pain. He warned us life would be full of both but He also said He would provide peace, grace, strength and a sound mind with which to do battle.

6. rbell

rbell Active Member

Comparing marijuana to ice cream show stunning ignorance of the facts, even for billwald.

7. Mississippi John

8. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

MJohn, you should be careful reading material that was written with the obvious agenda that this publisher has. They are only giving you the side of the story they want you to hear. Go find some independent information and you'll get a better picture of the true dangers of pot.

9. rbell

rbell Active Member

John, look: You want to smoke a joint. Well, have at it. It's wrong, sinful, illegal...but you're going to do it anyway. But quit expecting folks on the BB to condone it.

10. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

Bro Curtis...

I agree.

I smoked reefer all the time back in my pre-Christ hippie days. I know full well what a wonderful nausea killer it is. I have no desire for it now. God took the desire away, just like my desire for the other drugs we imbibed in back then, and the booze.

However...if I was going through the exceedingly horrible nausea that I have heard of with cancer patients, and the drugs they tried couldnt touch it, I would with a completely clear conscience smoke reefer to ease the torture if it were made available to me.

There are times when the laws of our land should be "softened with mercy" in some situations.

This would be one of them.

11. luke1616

luke1616 New Member

Yes, if it helps you I'm all for it! I'd rather you be healed totally and believe it will come. As for marijuana, empty the prisons of non-violent pot offenders, it costs us $50 large each year for each prisoner. Tax the carton of Columbian Lights.