1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Marine Corps Sgt Major speaks

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Salty, Apr 15, 2014.

1. thisnumbersdisconnected

I didn't say they didn't. However, the level of pay has more to do with military personnel needing food stamp assistance than money mismanagement.

The following example illustrates monthly pay and how that pay is taxed for an E-3 with a family, when deployed to Afghanistan from his/her duty station at Ft. Riley, Kansas:

In garrison: $1,585.50 basic pay + $254.46 BAS + $903 BAH = $2,742.96 total (as you know, only BAS and BAH are tax-free)

Deployed to Afghanistan: $1,585.50 basic pay + $254.46 BAS + $903 BAH + $250 Family Separation Allowance + $225 Imminent Danger Pay + $100 Hardship Duty Pay + $105 temporary duty per diem for incidental expenses = $3,422.96 (all tax-free).

That's not even another $800 for the wife to manage all family expenses with while her husband's away, and taxes are still withheld on the $1,585.50. If the GI has taken all exemptions -- and most don't -- he's still only getting $1,315.97 a month, plus BAS and BAH. Sure her food bill goes down, but she wasn't getting enough to feed a family of four with in the first place, was she? Try feeding, clothing and entertaining a family of four, or even three, on #3,400 a month? Used to sound like a lot. It ain't much nowadays.
    I'm well aware of those issues. The gambling problem is affecting about 10% of our combat vets today, and that's about three times the general population rate. It's the same old thing, PTSD, and the VA is denying treatment to a whole new crop of vets.

As to the rest, I used to have similar incidents of pilots in my units, particularly the check-writing issue you described. Nonetheless, out of 60 pilots and 180 crewmen in a helicopter assault unit, there were seldom more than three or four. Sure, there could've been more who wouldn't share their problem with their CO. But not that many more. It isn't a money-wasting issue, Salt. It's a money-shortage issue, and they're trying to make it worse.

#41 thisnumbersdisconnected, Apr 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2014
  2. Sapper Woody

Sapper Woody Well-Known Member

I don't know if one can tell from my posts, but I'm sort of ambivalent about the issue. But some facts being presented need to be checked.

While deployed, nothing a soldier makes (even base pay, or a reenlistment bonus if reenlisting while deployed) is taxable.

Family separation is still paid, but hazardous duty has changed. You only get hazardous duty for a month if you leave the wire at some point in that month.

3. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    That reminds me…although off subject…when I was in Bosnia we’d see a line of helicopters on the horizon. They were garrisoned in Croatia and would fly into Bosnia once a month so they could collect extra pay.

How many years will you have if you do retire, Sapper?

4. thisnumbersdisconnected

Only if they are in a combat zone.
    True, Hardship Duty Pay begins the day of arrival to the hardship location and ends the day of departure from the area. But, if you leave for a two-week leave and return during the month or during the following month, HDP doesn't skip a beat. You get it for the whole of both months.

5. Sapper Woody

Sapper Woody Well-Known Member

I'm at 6.5 right now, roughly. Will have right at 7 when I get out with a medical retirement.

6. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you for your service...and, take notes in the VA brief!:smilewinkgrin: