1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mark Driscoll

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Shortandy, Jun 26, 2009.

1. jcjordan

jcjordan New Member

I don't care what Eugene Peterson says. The Shack is NOTHING like Pilgrim's Progress. Yes, like The Shack, Pilgrim's Progress was a fiction, but the HUGE difference was that Pilgrim's Progress didn't digress and present a God that is totally contrary to the God of the Bible. Anything people learn about God from The Shack, is not about the God of the Bible, but rather a god of William Young's imagination.

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The fact that it is fiction has little relevancy. You cannot try to rebutt criticism by using its fictional nature and at the same time make claims as to how much influence it has. On the back cover of "The Shack" it says:

"In a world where religion seems to grow increasingly irrelevant The Shack wrestles with the timeless question "Where is God filled with unspeakable pain?" The answer Mack gets will astound you and perhaps transform you as much as it did him...................."

Clearly it bills itself as having correct theology that is intended to change people's lives. This book is complete heresy and very dangerous. It should be condemned on a regular basis and discredited at every chance. No theological conservative would support this book. Ever

3. Allan

Allan Active Member

Agreed, and I am to. Good to see you around here again :thumbs: :godisgood:

4. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Who will be the prophet among them? Organizations reach a self preservation mode when the organizations get larger and when it loses sight of its focus.

5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Is God ever portrayed in Scripture as a man? Do we ever see Him in a dream as a man? i don't think so.

You said that it's an amazing Christian book - yet it disobeys one of God's commandments, doesn't it? Does that mean it's an amazing Christian book?

6. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Allan, I've been busy blogging and twittering.

7. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

But these resolutions are just from some upset messengers of whatever local SBC churhces.

But I do agree with your overall sentiment.

8. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

That seems like such a waste of time to entertain someone's pet peeve.

9. Shortandy

Shortandy New Member

Not sure what this has to with the thread but I'll play.

The shack is fiction but it speaks about the God of Christianity, the God of the Bible. To call HIm something he is not is breaking the 3rd commandment and even the 2nd for in this work of fiction a man who claims to be a believer is making God out to be something that God never communicated Himself to be. So while you find this book in the fiction section is does teach theology for it deals with God. How can you say otherwise?