1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Marriage between a Man and Woman???

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by righteousdude2, Jan 4, 2008.

1. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Over the last decade, certain groups have been trying to get laws changed so their life style could be joined in Holy Matrimony. However their efforts to be accepted as a "married couple" within our Judeo-Christian nation and society amounts to nothing less than sin, if we are to believe the Bible!

Another chapter in my book is going to discuss the church and its willingness to accept less than traditional marriages, and even license and ordain members of same sex groups into the ministry.

My question is simple: Is the church [not necessarily the Baptist] looking the other way, winking the eye, and bending scripture when they perform marriage ceremonies for same sex couples or license and ordain folks in the pastoral ministry who are of this same sex persuasion?

Please try to stay on the subject, PLEASE...and let's refrain from name calling and heavy handed challenges to what another my share. I need candid feedback to support my chapter, and I can't get it when people begin slinging mud, or turning this into a Scripture war [mine trumps your].

Finally, don't forget, if you liked me to use your response, just make a note at the end of your post.

God Bless,

Pastor Paul :type:

2. standingfirminChrist

Any Church... and I stress that... that consents to performing a marriage ceremoy for those of the same gender is clearly in opposition to God's Holy Word.

Matthew 19:5 And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh?

I have yet to stumble upon a verse that says man shall leave his father and mother and shall cleave to his husband; or woman shall leave her father and mother and cleave to a wife.

Leviticus 18:22 Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination.

God created Adam and Eve to be married to each other , not Adam and Steve... nor did He create Madam and EVe to be married to each other.

Permission granted... as always.

3. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Without a doubt, the established church (denominations in general) is tolerating same sex marriage and in some cases, ordination.

God made quite clear the purpose of marriage in Genesis 2:24. It is at the very start of Scripture, even before the fall. The wording of the verse makes it hard to interpret other than literally. Throughout the Scripture, the theme is repeated again and again. Marriage is between a man and a woman. Paul discusses the details of how a husband and wife should relate to each other and the Lord in some detail.

Since after the fall, and after the flood, God commands us to be fruitful and multiply, it is hard to picture the situation any other way. Again, all those verses in the Bible, Old and New Testement, warning against such relationships, were not put there to fill up space.

What is amazing is that the established church has deviated from this obvious principle. It is not just a few either.

Society in general has tried to make the situation more acceptable by using such terms as "civil union", a term created in the pits of hell to make the relationship seem short of marriage, and not as evil. Can anyone honestly see a difference between living in a sinful relationship as a civil union or marriage? Do you think God thinks one is better?

There is no shades of gray on this issue. It is black and white, and only one conclusion on the side of truth.

Permission granted, but I am sure the spelling and grammer could be better.

#3 saturneptune, Jan 4, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2008
  4. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well Said Brother

As always, well put. You are a man of God. Thanks!

5. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Great Points

Thanks for the input. I will use an editor to clean up anything I use in the book so don't worry. I need an editor to proofread my books, and even these folks don't catch evrything [disappointing].

God bless you my brother.

Paul

6. KJVkid

KJVkid New Member

In the method of Bible study of the law of first mention, Gen 1:27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.
    Gen 1:28 And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.

In Ch.2 God tells us what He did with them, Gen 2:23 And Adam said, This [is] now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh: she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man.
    Gen 2:24 Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.

As "Standing" said it is Gods plan to have one (1) man for one (1) woman for life!

7. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

I believe part of the contention is "Holy Matrimony" vs. Civil Marriage. Marriage is a word used for both, but what the church recognizes can be quite different than what civil law recognizes as a marriage contract. Even if gay marriages are accepted within a governmental jurisdiction, there is nothing that says the church or any pastor must participate or bless any union.

8. youngmom4

youngmom4 New Member

I share the opinion of the others who have posted here. Marriage is supposed to be one man and one woman for life. Now, divorce is an entirely different subject that I am understanding you do not wish to address here, so I won't. Nonetheless, God's perfect plan is one man and one woman for life. Although hubby and I have both had previous marriages, our intention from the get-go has been that our marriage is for life. Those who try to legitimize same sex unions under any term are Biblically wrong; what's the old saying, "a rose by any other name is just as sweet"? Well, I think it applies to cow manure also...by any other name it stinks just the same. Same sex unions by any name are wrong and go against God's plan as laid out in the Bible.

9. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I Failed Twice at Marriage

My first two marriages went south. The first involved infidelity on my wife's behalf, and the second wife was physically abusive to her three children and me [my life was threatened].

I wanted marriage to be forever, and was disappointed when I failed not once but twice. However, God has since answered my prayers, and my wife [Shelly] and I will be celebrating 28 years in May. That means the other two women had problems I had no control over. However, 28 years shows that my heart and spirit longed for a life long commitment, and God finally sent me the woman that would provide that.

I know divorce is a "sin" but with the exception of the "unforgivable sin" there is no sin God can't forgive His child from, and bless them in return. Like the women brought to Jesus to be stoned, we must hear the command of Jesus, and "go and sin no more!"

To Young Mom4 - I know you didn't want to discuss divorce on this post, but, since you candidly mentioned you were both on your second marriage, I had to tell you that God can forgive us for failed marriages, and bring us to a marriage that lasts for a lifetime and beyond:godisgood: .

Shalom,

Pastor Paul :type:

10. TomMann

TomMann New Member

A union of same sex partners is not a marriage. Whatever it is called and even if some call it a marriage, it is not a marriage!

Likewise, a organization that condones same sex unions is not a church. Whatever it is called and even if some call it a church, it is not a church!

11. tonyhipps

tonyhipps New Member

Yes indeed!

IMHO I would propose one small change in your book

Another chapter in my book is going to discuss the church and its willingness to accept less than Biblical marriages, and even license and ordain members of same sex groups into the ministry.

12. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Very Good

Thanks for the change in wording!