1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mars Rovers Extended Mission

Discussion in 'Science' started by UTEOTW, Sep 24, 2004.

1. UTEOTW

UTEOTW New Member

After spending over $800 million dollars to build them and get them there for a nominal 90 day mission, and having survived a first six month extension beyond that, NASA has come up with another $2.8 million to extend the missions another 6 months. The craft are still in good working order. Opportunity will take the chance and make a 3 mile trek over to a large crater, Victoria crater, with a stop at its heat shield along the way.

http://www.space.com/missionlaunches/rover_extension_040921.html

2. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

It's pretty neat to see stuff like this is possible! It's also a big reminder of what we're uncapable of, when we see how much there is out there to explore and learn about.
    Gina

3. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Here's a wonderful link for kids AND adults.

Our children's names and our names were on the disk!

Each name had a print out available. We framed Nick's and sent the children theirs.

http://spacekids.hq.nasa.gov/osskids/mars/news.htm

4. UTEOTW

UTEOTW New Member

Did your kids take the news of the loss of the polar lander hard since it had their names on it? I think that when I was a kid, that would have given me a feeling of personal connection to the craft and the loss of it would have been at least a little upsetting.

You might be interested to know that there is a new lander rising from the ashes, so to speak, of the failures at the time. It is name appropriately enough the Phoenix lander. It is set for launch in 2007. I think it was built but never sent becuase of the Polar Lander loss. It will also go to the pole.

http://phoenix.lpl.arizona.edu/

5. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Nah... My kids are 33, 29, 28 and almost 10.

6. jcrawford

jcrawford New Member

Well, it certainly is good news to learn of the US govt's diligent search for signs of the evolutionary origins of life on Mars since they haven't found any evidence so far to prove that evolution started on earth.

Keep up the good reporting on all scientific development on Mars in the future, will you, Ute?

I only wish that I could afford a land rover here upon earth.

Then I would be able to go on some really serious scientific expeditions into the heart and soul of the dark continent of Africa.