1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Martin Luther on the atonement

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by examiningcalvinism, May 14, 2007.

1. examiningcalvinism

examiningcalvinism New Member

I asked a Yes/No question, and you gave no answer, which in effect is an answer. I realize that Lutherans have nuances on Calvinism, and Calvinism is broad enough to cover it under its big tent. Have I discussed this with Lutherans? Of course I have, and one Lutheran stated that on the matter of Unconditional Election and God's Sovereignty, he stood in agreement with another Calvinist.

True, which even you conceded.
    True, as agreed by Sprugeon, and as documented as "Lutheranism" in the wikipedia reference.
    True, which Lutherans teach as Monergism.
    True

#21 examiningcalvinism, May 14, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2007
  2. DQuixote

DQuixote New Member

This is Baptist Theology and Bible Study?

3. Allan

Allan Active Member

You have SO many errors here it isn't even funny.

First you go to a NON- SBC entity (a blog site) to get your information concerning the agreed upon Theological view of the SBC.
    AND
    If that isn't funny enough, you say "the Gadfly accurately diagnoses them as functionally "Arminian." "
    THERE IS NO DIAGNOSES.
    Here is what they state:
    Gadfly's understanding regarding this issue is about as limited as the "L" in Tulip.

They are the functionaly the same because they share (in his opinion as he states) a similar aspect of theology? :laugh:
    Your sourse is ... inaccurate AND mistaken.

I will say this once more, The SBC nor any of the Pastors you flipantly set forth as the Gadfly did, DO NOT hold to Arminianism and therefore CAN NOT BE "funuctionally Arminian" by stating they have a similar attribute!! You must hold to Arminian theology to "function" as an Arminian that it may be considered to be employed in an Arminian way.

We do not hold to Universal Redemption - as in
    "Christ's redeeming work made it possible for everyone to be saved but did not actually secure the salvation of anyone.."
    We believe
    Christ's redeeming work made it possible for everyone to be saved (though not all will), but it did SECURE the salvation of those whom he foreknew.
    It is Universal Atonement but Specific Redemption.

We also deny the Arminian version of Resistable Grace. Specifically this:
    "He does all that He can to bring every sinner to salvation."
    NO
    The Holy Spirit convicts the world of sin, His righteousness, and His judgment to come AND Reveals Christ Jesus who brings grace and truth. He does NOT do EVERYTHING HE CAN, but does that which His ministry constrains Him to due by the Will of the Father. IF the Holy Spirit did all He could do, we would see miricles, blessings, supernatural insights operating toward every single person of the world to bring them to salvation. No, the Holy Spirit is to fulfill His ministry of convicting the world of sin, His Righteousness and His Judgment to come AND reveals Christ Jesus who brings grace and truth to a world of sinful and wicked men.

And of course we deny the forfieture of Salvaiton
    and the newer model of loosing your salvation.

It is hard to be Arminian when you deny 3 of the 5 points - agreed?? (I say 3 because CLASSICAL Arminiianism holds to Total Depravity otherwise it would be 4 out of 5)

PS> It say NOTHING about the SBC there

#23 Allan, May 14, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2007
  4. npetreley

npetreley New Member

[SIZE=-1]Dr. Albert Mohler, Jr. is president of the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, the flagship school of the SBC. You won't find an iota of Arminianism or free-willism in Albert Mohler.

[/SIZE]

5. Allan

Allan Active Member

:laugh: WIthout question, I agree :laugh:

The SBC IS NOT Arminian in it's soterology, because each church has it's own theology in the Covention. Thus it is made up of many variaties but all holding to essentials of scriputure and basics for Baptist polity.

Actaully the SBC isn't even technecally a denomination but a Covention, but since we are so big it is consistantly refered by those outside the SBC as a denomination. But that is neither here nor there.

6. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Well, if it's neither here nor there, then you shouldn't have said this:

Furthermore, when Mohler became president, he required all faculty to agree to an Abstract of Principles, which includes election and total depravity. Many people at the Baptist Theological Seminary left or were fired because they refused to agree to the principles.

I can only confirm from experience that most SBC churches I've attended are packed with free-willers, led by free-willer pastors. But these pastors were a product of the seminary before Mohler, which had become infected with liberalism. That's why Mohler required people to agree to and sign the confession (Abstract of Principles).

IMO, many pastors tend to parrot whatever they're taught without actually drawing their own conclusions from the Bible. If this is true (it would be sad if true, but IMO, it is true), then the SBC will eventually become functionally Calvinist, because they'll parrot what the leading seminary taught them. It's still sad that pastors parrot what they're taught, but at least they'll be teaching the truth.

7. Allan

Allan Active Member

I didn't say that, Exam did.
    HE listed the SBC as Arminian.
    I stated:
    Agree that in many Colleges and Seminaries they are not as they aught to be and create many parrots like ministers but by the same token, we must train our ministers up in accordance with our scriptural understanding so we do not train up every wind of doctrine. That is why I am thankful they are teaching truth even now. ;)

8. Allan

Allan Active Member

BTW - I thought this thread was about Luther on Atonement.

OR

Is it about Exam.s website of who is Calvinistic and who is Arminian??

9. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Sorry, my bad. I got my replies mixed up.

10. Allan

Allan Active Member

np, np.

(no prob), np :laugh:

Yes, I know my jokes are bad.

11. npetreley

npetreley New Member

I thought that was pretty good, actually. :laugh:

12. examiningcalvinism

examiningcalvinism New Member

Allan

Did you get your definitions of Arminianism from a cracker-jacks box, or from an actual Arminian source? I am holding a copy of Roger Olson's book, Arminian Theology: Myths and Realities if you would like for me to be your Professor and clear up your errors about what is truly Arminian Theology.

Yes, as per Adrian Rogers.

Prevenient Grace, as per Adrian Rogers. Quotes are available.

Not according to Adrian Rogers. Quotes are available.

Not according to Jerry Vines. (the quote is on the website).

Yes, for the Modern Arminians, but not the Classical Arminians, such as myself, nor the Remonstrants as documented.

No. They teach a universal purchase with redemption in Christ, as per Robert Shank's book, Elect in the Son.

Yes, as per Roger Olson.

All of these things add up to show that the SBC is much more inline with Arminianism than Calvinism. Have a nice day.

#32 examiningcalvinism, May 15, 2007
  13. Brandon C. Jones

Brandon C. Jones New Member

What did I ever concede? You are a stubborn aren't you? I guess Lutherans are crypto-calvinists because some guy with a website says so :laugh:

Here's what I've discovered to be your new definition of an already useless word: "calvinism."

according to the examiningcalvinism guy, "calvinism" includes any form of "monergism," "unconditional election," and "God's Sovereignty." Well that's as specific as you can get isn't it?

Hey, why don't you sign up Augustine for your website, since his views are closer to Luther's than Reformed orthodoxy. Given your sloppy methodology you could proclaim that the Roman Catholic Church after the Council of Orange was a prominent calvinistic denomination. If someone points out the various differences, I'm sure some source on the Internet or a quote from a pastoral sermon can help you out in defending your position.

I'm not surprised that you see no difference between Lutheran and Reformed theology, you're methodology has been sloppy in most of your posts here giving people anachronistic labels and inventing doctrines for dead people. I can only imagine the details of your website.

Your cocky post above in response to Allan is humorous given the source.

#33 Brandon C. Jones, May 15, 2007
  14. Allan

Allan Active Member

I'd back up just a bit if I were you. You don't know me from adam and you could very well walk right into My Classroom. So pretend your not the high and mighty, alright?

Second - I had some fun with your posting of Calvinist Gadfly. Those definitions are from their websight of what Arminians believe. You know, the theology those preachers such as Adrian Rogers, Ergun Caner, and such...

So much for your...sourse.

First: being "much more in line with Arminianism than Calvinism" is not the same as being Arminian.

Second: is that these men do not speak for the SBC of which this is actaully about.

The SBC is not Arminian, regardless of your opinion and that of Calvinist Gadfly.
    They are not the functionaly the same because they share a similar aspect of theology.

In your line of reasoning anyone not not Calvinistic/Reforned is Arminian. You need more schooling before you become anyones professor.

BTW - Total Depravity doesn't come from Classical Arminianism, it is Classical Calvinism. It is a point they both agreed upon but was first documented as Calvinistic aspect.

#34 Allan, May 15, 2007
  15. Allan

Allan Active Member

Again - I thought this thread was about Luther on Atonement.

OR

Is it about Exam.s website of who is Calvinistic and who is Arminian??

16. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

Allan,

Strange as it may seem, I just deleted a post that, other then your opening line, read nearly word for word as yours.

great minds

I would add one thing. The SBC seems to flow back and forth over a time frame of 20-30 years. At the moment, the Calvinism side seems to be growing. This after 20-30 years of Arminian slant.

17. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

ummm... wait...Is this a trick question?

18. Brandon C. Jones

Brandon C. Jones New Member

I'm partially complicit Allan. My first reply addressed Luther on the atonement. Unfortunately, the only part of my reply that the OP cared about was my postscript that bickered over whether he should call Lutherans "calvinistic," of which it is obvious to me that they are not.

Perhaps I'll launch two websites: www.definingcalvinismandarminianism.com and www.examininglutheranism.com

On second thought, I think I've got better things to do like searching boxes of cracker jacks for theological tips. I hear that has worked for you. :)

19. Allan

Allan Active Member

Apparently not, but the Cracker-Jacks were good :thumbs: :laugh: