1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Master of Divinity

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Jesus is Lord, Dec 8, 2003.

1. Jesus is Lord

Jesus is Lord New Member

Can anyone help me with this(Excuse my ignorance but I think about a distance learning degree in theology and need some information about these degrees)?

- Where is the difference between a Master of Divinity and a Master of Theology?
    - Is "Master of Theology" and "Master of Arts in Theology" the same?
    - Is "Master of Divinity" just a religious degree and of no value in the "academic world"?
    - Which one of these degrees is academically more recognized?

Thanks for your time!

2. TomVols

TomVols New Member

A Master of Divinity is usually a 90 hour (give or take) program that gives a broad overview and introduction to the various aspects of Christian ministry, covering Church history, Bible survey, languages, theology, and practical ministry. A Master of Theology usually requires the M.Div. for admission and is typically focused and research oriented. The Th.M. is technically higher than the M.Div, but depending on what you want to do, one may not be better than the other. The Master of Arts in Theology is typically shorter than the M.Div. and lower on the totum pole, and is not typically for ordained ministry.

Unless you have a B.A. in theology, Bible, or ministry, you should probably pursue a M.Div., then think about Th.M. work. If you do not seek to be an elder or pastor, but simply want to do counseling or something of that sort, the M.A. may work fine.

3. southern phoenix

hi,

I saw that you also asked about Ph.D and D.Th. [​IMG]

this posting is surely not answering anything of your question.....please excuse me.... [​IMG]

may I know seminaries in your considerations now ?

Gby,

-ken-

4. Jesus is Lord

Jesus is Lord New Member

I donĀ“t have any specifically in mind... For now I am just collecting information about theological degrees in the US...

5. Taufgesinnter

Taufgesinnter New Member

A Master of Divinity (M.Div.) is the North American name for the Bachelor of Divinity (B.D.) degree, a three-year undergraduate professional degree that is expected to be built upon a four-year liberal arts baccalaureate degree, just like a Bachelor of Medicine (M.B.) {M.D. in North America} or Bachelor of Laws (LL.B.) {Juris Doctor in the United States}. An M.Div. usually requires 81 to 96 semester hours, with 90 being very typical.

A Master of Theology is a one-year graduate degree that can be used as an advanced professional degree building upon the M.Div. or as a two-year academic degree building upon the M.A. degree. A Th.M. can be used as a terminal degree or as a stepping-stone to a Th.D. or Ph.D. For an M.Div. holder, the Th.M. usually requires 24 to 30 semester hours, including the thesis.

A Master of Arts in Theology (M.A.Th.) is essentially identical with a Master of Arts in Religion (M.A.R.) or Master of Arts in Theological Studies (M.A.T.S.) degree. It may serve as a professional degree for those seeking a ministry position NOT requiring ordination, as a terminal degree, or as a stepping-stone to the M.Div., Th.M., or Th.D./Ph.D. It can be considered an academic degree, particularly when used as a stepping-stone or taken at a secular school. Whereas a regular academic M.A. requires about 30 semester hours, the M.A.Th./M.A.R./M.A.T.S. requires about 54 to 60 semester hours or two years of study, including the thesis.

An M.Div. is not of much use outside of ministry, but a Th.M. and a Th.D. or Ph.D. have career uses in academia, and those can be built upon the foundation of an M.Div.

One thing to remember above all, is that no informed employer outside of religious circles is likely to accept any of the above degrees from a North American source unless the school is appropriately accredited. For a seminary, that would mean accreditation by the Association of Theological Schools in the United States and Canada, for an American graduate school, by a regional accrediting association such as the Middle States Association or Western States Association, and for a Canadian grad school, by its provincial educational agency. If a school is not properly accredited, it may be (or be regarded as) a diploma mill.

6. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    IF a man is going into the ministry, I would opt for a strong 4-year baptist bible college that will give a solid ACADEMIC core (say 60 credits) along with a solid BIBLE core (Greek, Theology, Pastoral 60 credits). Come out with a B.A.

THEN I would opt to enroll in seminary/grad program for a M.A. (Master of Arts in Biblical Studies, Counseling, Theology - your pref). Then if desired, stay in seminary another years for a M.M. (Master of Ministries) and then, if desired, stay a final year and get the M.Div. (Master of Divinity).

WHY? I grew up at Fourth Baptist Church in Minneapolis, home of Central Baptist Theological Seminary. Saw many men come and take YEARS of classes - working long hours, in churches on weekend, raising families - and then quit short of a degree. End up with good classes but no alphabet soup behind the name.

This way if God leads you out into the pastorate after a year or two of grad work, you have seminary degrees behind your name.

CAVEAT: If you attend a 4-year University with liberal arts and NOT Bible, Greek, etc, then PLEASE stay all 3 years of seminary. Even that will not be enough!!