1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Meet & Greet

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Salty, Apr 11, 2016.

1. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Okay, now I see the connection a bit clearer.

Revmwc, is this accurate?

2. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

Someone stated it was their right not to be greeted and I was pointing out how people stated that not that I agree.

• Like Like x 1
  3. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

Yes I would need to go back to see who gave that definition. However several concordances state that Laodecia means "justice for the people."

4. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

H.A. Ironsides states in his book on Revelation that Laodecia is a compound word meaning "the rights of the people."

5. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    did you check any other source? Also, trying to tie the name to the attitude of the people in the church is weak at best. Then trying to tie it to people today is much more far fetched.

6. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

Strong's states Laodecia is a combination of two words, Laos which it defines as "people" and dike which is defined by Strong's as "right" "judgment," "punish," and ""vengeance"

#46 revmwc, Apr 13, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
  7. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sigh, so what? Even if that is true (and I have looked at other sources to the contrary) it matters not. The church was not named "the church at Laodicea" because it held the attitude of that name. It was named that only, and I repeat only because it is in the town Laodicea.

Therefore, trying to tie the attitude of the people to the name Laodicea is a mistake. One does not lead to the other. This is an informal fallacy.

Further, the problem Jesus had with the church was that it had become ineffective. The hot and cold references that He used to describe the church are most likely a reference to the water that was piped into Laodicea. Two neighboring towns one of which had very cold springs and the other which had very hot springs. By the time the water arrived into Laodicea it lost its temp and benefits. in other words it had lost its effectiveness.

Calling the church luke warm is fine but it does not go far enough. The church was ineffective. Not doing what it was designed to do.

All this rights and judgment stuff is a distraction from the context.

8. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

Many see it as the church of today because of the name that is the phases of church apostasy. Of which Laodecia was the last phase before the church is taken out. When theNride is taken out the Laodecian phase continues because the people in those churches have not the truth and are Lukewarm today. Some still hold the truth today but many are Lukewarm.

9. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Again lukewarm does not go far enough. Not sure how people got stuck on that word but it is just wrong. Ineffective is far more accurate. We are not in complete apostasy. That cannot happen until the church is taken out.

10. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

The Laodician church had no zeal, no fervor the origanization is more important that is the organization of their religion is more important than dong the will of God and they aren't cold instead they are indifferent to the gospel of Chirst. They are neutral and tolerant churches. A church for all eve of they don't turn from sin. The pastor who says "Faith in Jesus" is not necessarily the means of salvation. That is what we see in many churches today, not all but a vast majority.

11. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  12. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It was only a matter of time until someone linked a Babylon Bee article in this thread. Laugh

13. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And the picture with the article was perfect! *laugh*

• Like Like x 2
  14. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You do realize the Bee is a satire?

15. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ok, you got to know, I have bad knees. I struggle to stand after I sit, I struggle to walk, and I can trip over a feather.

I think "meet and greet" should be done at the door, not from the seat. If I want to sit and be still before God while all around me is confusion, laughter, worldly noise and jesting before the service starts, then don't expect me to be "glad you came" latter in "the service."

If you want to jest, laugh, shake my hand, or whatever, do it at the entry of the church. And lets let the worship be worship, and the place of worship be that which one can spend time in earnest fellowship with the Scriptures and the Holy Spirit.

Btw, a strong handshake isn't how tight one squeezes. It is the earnestness behind that handshake, the understanding that tired bones don't often grasp very well, but the desires of the heart isn't in the muscular strength. Don't shake my hand and then be rude trying to get out of the parking lot or bully the waiters at the diner.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Berean

Berean Member
    Site Supporter

17. Berean

Berean Member
    Site Supporter

I have always judged how friendly a church is by how fast they empty after the 11:00 AM Service. My church is a large church and if You stop to speak to someone you will either get run over or meet with some stern stares On the other hand my son and his family attend a large church and the custodians almost have to ask them to leave to lock up.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Sapper Woody

Sapper Woody Well-Known Member

I know that Babylonbee is satirical, but they actual brought up something valid. With my condition, I sit in the balcony. It's almost empty normally.

In my old church in Texas, we didn't have a balcony. I say in the car and had my wife text me when hand shaking was over. Then I'd slip in the back. Once the invitation began, I'd go out to the car and wait for her.

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

19. HeDied4U

HeDied4U Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    • Winner Winner x 1