1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Men From The Past Who Used Other Versions

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Rippon, Feb 20, 2010.

1. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Spurgeon had 12 years in which he could have used the RV, from 1881-1893. That's plenty of time to be able to say 'Spurgeon used the RV'.

2. Baptist4life

Baptist4life Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But "could have" and "saying it" doesn't make it fact. I believe that was his point. It was stated as a fact, when it's really just Rippon's assumption.

#42 Baptist4life, Mar 14, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2010
  3. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, he used it approvingly dozens of times during those years.

4. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't understand what you are saying. Spurgeon used the RV dozens of times in his sermons -- approvingly.That's fact -- not opinion.

5. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That'sd already been done. The RV was updated to the American RV. That was updated to the RSV. That was updated to the NRSV and ESV.

This comment of yours is off-topic. However, that's absurd. What Calvinist denies God's foreknowledge. Sometimes you say things of the top of your head.

C.H.S. advocated a revision of the KJV back in the 1850's. The actual retranslation of the KJV was released in 1881. He used the RV approvingly lots of times. Those are just the facts, Jack.

#45 Rippon, Mar 14, 2010
  6. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Example:
    That's Psalm 68:11, English Revised Version, that Spurgeon is quoting in his 1891 sermon about Lydia of Thyatira.:thumbs:

#46 Jerome, Mar 14, 2010
  7. Baptist4life

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then I stand corrected. My apologies.:thumbs:

8. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Such a polite young man. May I quote you on that?

9. Baptist4life

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, I'm working hard on trying to be polite, but "young man" might be a stretch! :laugh:

10. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    More on Spurgeon's estimation of the Revised Version:

"For that Revised Version I have but little care, as a general rule, holding it to be by no means an improvement upon our common Authorized Version. It is a useful thing to have it for private reference, but I trust it will never be regarded as the standard English translation of the New Testament. The Revised Version of the Old Testament is so excellent that I am half afraid it may carry the Revised New Testament upon its shoulders into general use. I sincerely hope that this may not be the case, for the result would be a decided loss." —Charles Spurgeon

"The Revised Version we venture to assert is not accepted by the church at large as the successor of the Authorized Version, nor will it ever be. It is a good version, and in some respects the best yet produced; but it must be made far better before it can be compared in all respects with the Bible of our youth, and it will even then be long before it supplants it." —Sword and the Trowel, review of Matthew's Many Versions But One Bible

"On the whole, I am glad to find that there is so little alteration made in the Old Testament; and it is my opinion that if the Old testament revision had been issued first, it would have met with almost universal acceptance, and would have prepared the way for a heartier welcome for the Revised New Testament. The English of the New Testament is so wretchedly bad, compared with the simple yet stately rhythm of the Authorized Version, that it prevents the revision as a whole from being considered satisfactory." —Sword and the Trowel, Charles Spurgeon answering a student's inquiry

11. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mrs. Charles Cowman is another man from the past who used another version.
    (PBV in Streams in the Desert)

12. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

What does that have to do with the original topic?

13. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

If he were alive today, he would use the English Standard Version- after all, he WAS English, not American! :laugh:

14. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

"MAN" ?? :eek:

15. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Excellent research - thank you

16. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    One also runs across the PBV in Oswald Chambers's My Utmost for His Highest.

17. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Another man from the past who used another version was Amy Carmichael (Weymouth NT).

18. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So Mrs. Cowman and Amy Carmichael were really men? What do you know that the rest of us don't know about this?!

19. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have long appreciated the wonderful book :God's Word In Our Hands edited by James B.Williams and Randolph Shaylor. Chapter two is called :The Voice Of The Preachers -- by J.Drew Conley. Here is a portion of what Mr. Conley said on page 64 :"What is not as well known is that the prince of preachers actually edited a book on the English Bible published in 1859, early in his ministry."

Here are some things C.H.S. said in the Preface of his book.

" The cant and fudge which cries out against the least alteration of the old version of our forefathers, as if it were positive profanity, are nothing to me.I love God's word betther than I love King James pedantic wisdom and foolish kingcraft.
    We want God's own book pure and unaltered...we desire to see it yet purified till it shall be as near perfection as a human translation of the divine Book can possibly be brought... I plead for a faithful translation; and from my very love to the English version, because in the main it is so,I desire for it that its blemishes should be removed, and its faults corrected.
    It is an arduous labour to persuade men of this, although in the light of common sense the matter is plain enough. but there is a kind of Popery in our midst which makes us cling fast to our errors, and hinders the growth of thorough reformation; otherwise the Church would just ask the question, 'Is the King James' Bible the nearest approach to the original?' The answer would be, 'No; it is exceedingly good, but it has many glaring faults.' and the command would at once go forth, -- 'Then ye that have learning amend these errors; for at any cost, the Church must have the pure Word of God.' "

20. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    That deserves to be quoted again and again. Thanks for listing it, bro. And thankfully learned men (and women) have made great amends to it, using the full range of Greek plus modern methods of discerning original text, to give us far better translations in English than any tongue deserves.