1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Micah 5:2 in the NIV

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by Chris Temple, Sep 27, 2001.

1. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Joey M:
    The NIV perverts The Lord's Prayer into The Devil's Prayer!
    ... God bless the saints of God!
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Joey,

Did you read the title of this thread???? Was there some part about "Micah 5:2 in the NIV" that led you to believe it was okay to post something about the Lord's Prayer here?

IMO, please delete your post and start your own thread if you think you have something worthy of discussion.

2. Joey M

Joey M New Member

Just showing the perversion of the translation, therefore discrediting what it says...

3. Rockfort

That if you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved (Romans 10:9, NIV).

Therefore I tell you that no one who is speaking by the Spirit of God says, "Jesus be cursed," and no one can say, "Jesus is Lord," except by the Holy Spirit (I Corinthians 12:3).

Little Joey, do you, or any other Jimmy-ite, have the guts to say the above words are from Satan, since they are contained in one of his 'perversions?'

4. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

Just showing the perversion of the translation, therefore discrediting what it says...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Except it is not perverted ... and therefore is not discredited.

5. Joey M

Joey M New Member

Did not Satan quote scripture in tempting the Lord Jesus? YES! But he (satan) twists the truth in such a way to cause doubt. This is what he did with Eve and this is what he tried with Jesus and this is what he is trying today through the NIV and many other modren versions watering down the truth.

6. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

Did not Satan quote scripture in tempting the Lord Jesus? YES! But he (satan) twists the truth in such a way to cause doubt. This is what he did with Eve and this is what he tried with Jesus and this is what he is trying today through the NIV and many other modren versions watering down the truth.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You apparently had a hard time understanding my previous post. This is not the place for this discussion. This is devoted to a textual discussion about how best to translate a word in Mic 5:2 (which is actually 5:1 in the Hebrew text). If you have something to contribute to the mean of motsa'otav, miqedem, or mime o'lam, then feel free to speak up. Otherwise keep it elsewhere.

For the record, when Satan quoted Scripture, he quoted it accurately. He misapplied it -- the same thing you are doing. If you would like to discuss Satan's quotations of Scripture, then start a thread for it. Perhaps someone will comment on it. Preserve this thread for serious discussion of Mic 5:1[2]

7. Rockfort

&lt; Did not Satan quote scripture in tempting the Lord Jesus? YES! &gt;

Which scripture did Satan quote?

"And he brought him to Jerusalem, and set him on a pinnacle of the temple, and said unto him, If thou be the Son of God, cast thyself down from hence: For it is written, 'He shall give his angels charge over thee, to keep thee: And in their hands they shall bear thee up, lest at any time thou dash thy foot against a stone.'" (Luke 4:9-10, KJV)

"The devil led him to Jerusalem and had him stand on the highest point of the temple. 'If you are the Son of God,' he said, 'throw yourself down from here. For it is written: 'He will command his angels concerning you to guard you carefully; they will lift you up in their hands, so that you will not strike your foot against a stone.'" (Luke 4:9-10, NIV)

8. John Wells

John Wells New Member

Joey,

I very much do not appreciate you barging into every discussion with your tripe about MVs. Start your own thread and have all the fun you want demonstrating your unfounded, unrational prejudices. Your diatribes bring discredit on normal KJV lovers and yourself! :eek:

9. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

The NIV perverts The Lord's Prayer into The Devil's Prayer!
    LUKE 11:2-4: The KJB reads, ". . .Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done, as in heaven, so in earth. Give us day by day our daily bread. And forgive us our sins; for we also forgive every one that is indebted to us. And lead us not into temptation; but deliver us from evil." The NIV removes everything that refers to a Holy God in heaven -"WHICH ART IN HEAVEN. . . Thy will be done, AS IN HEAVEN, so in earth. . . but DELIVER US FROM EVIL." Everything that distinguishes God from the Devil is REMOVED! "OUR FATHER" of the NIV is "NOT IN HEAVEN" and "DOES NOT DELIVER FROM EVIL!" I wonder who it could be? (hint: see John 8:44)

God bless the saints of God!
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pardon me and I try to say this in Christ's love, but you is wrong, dude. Read the first line you just quoted! Wow, you had better be careful, I'll let God determine if calling a translation of His Son's prayer as coming from the Devil, but I don't want to be around you for at least a few weeks. You might make a good lightning rod. Good thing since his Son died and grace is available, God tends to be a lot less active in the direct "fire from heaven" activities; but I would sure be careful if I were you. I don't think it would do any good to go into specifics of why you are wrong, I think from that statement it wouldn't do any good. If you really care and want to know--I will help you, but NOT with that type of remarks.
    Careful buddy!

10. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pastor Larry:

Joey,

IMO, please delete your post and start your own thread if you think you have something worthy of discussion.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm sorry pastor Larry I agree with you 100% (on almost anythin you say, by the way) that he needs to start another post, but whether you agree with ME or not I just HAD to make a response to THAT statement. Sorry......

11. Pioneer

Pioneer Guest

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rockfort:
    That if you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved (Romans 10:9, NIV).

Therefore I tell you that no one who is speaking by the Spirit of God says, "Jesus be cursed," and no one can say, "Jesus is Lord," except by the Holy Spirit (I Corinthians 12:3).

Little Joey, do you, or any other Jimmy-ite, have the guts to say the above words are from Satan, since they are contained in one of his 'perversions?'
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If I take 1 gallon of pure water and mix 1 ounce of poison in it, is it still pure water? Satan is a master at deception. He always throws a few nuggets of truth in with his wheel barrels of lies.

12. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BroSmith:

If I take 1 gallon of pure water and mix 1 ounce of poison in it, is it still pure water? Satan is a master at deception. He always throws a few nuggets of truth in with his wheel barrels of lies.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is it just me or does this too have nothing to do with the discussion this thread is devoted to??? Does this have something to do with the meaning of motsa'otav, miqedem, or mime o'lam and I just missed it??

Steve, please get in the habit of reading the titles of the threads and refrain from posting anything that is not at least generally related to the thread. You are cluttering up this area where people want to have honest discussion.

13. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Greek word in the LXX for "goings forth"
    in the Micah passage is "exodoi" - Pl. for exodus (exodos).

HankD

14. Pioneer

Pioneer Guest

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pastor Larry:

Steve, please get in the habit of reading the titles of the threads and refrain from posting anything that is not at least generally related to the thread. You are cluttering up this area where people want to have honest discussion.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You mean dishonest don't you? I was only responding to a previous post. If that bothers you, then TOO BAD. As someone once said to me, "I find your demeanor in your posts to be unbecoming of a pastor" and also "What a great, pastoral heart you have".

Bro. Steve Smith

[ September 29, 2001: Message edited by: BroSmith ]

15. John Wells

John Wells New Member

Chris,

Enhanced Strong's Lexicon:
    4163 מֹוצָאָה [mowtsa’ah /mo·tsaw·aw/] n f. From 4161; TWOT 893d; GK 4606; Two occurrences; AV translates as “draught house” once, and “goings forth” once. 1 origin, place of going out from. 1a origin. 1b places of going out to or from. 1b1 privy.

Also: Micah 5:2 (ESV)
    2 But you, O Bethlehem Ephrathah, who are too little to be among the clans of Judah, from you shall come forth for me one who is to be ruler in Israel, whose origin is from of old, from ancient days.

God bless brother Chris!

16. John Wells

John Wells New Member

By the way all, I think the best thing that could happen on this forum is for us MV types to ignor the KJVonly flamers. Their vicious, spiteful, hateful nature feeds on our responses, and when they can get us to act like them, they win! :(

17. Chris Temple

Chris Temple New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by John Wells:
    [QB][/QB]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks John (and Pastor Larry).

Larry: I think it is hopeless; unless a board is created "KJVO Free" the KJVO crowd will inevitably go back to the only thing on their mind: KJVO.

18. Rockfort

&lt; If I take 1 gallon of pure water and mix 1 ounce of poison in it, is it still pure water? Satan is a master at deception. He always throws a few nuggets of truth in with his wheel barrels of lies. &gt;

Smith, you coward, answer whether the referred quotations are from God or from Satan.

19. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

You mean dishonest don't you?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No actually I meant just what I said. I have a tendency to do that. I am not sure what I have said that is dishonest. Please point it out and I will clarify it or change it.

I am not sure what it is in my demeanor that offends you. I can tell you quite clearly what bothers me. Someone asked a question about a specific verse given in the title of this thread. You have not addressed that verse or any part of it to my knowledge. You have not addressed the meaning of the any of the words in question nor the theology that would be applicable. You have instead inserted your own ideas about other verses. If you want to discuss a verse, feel free to start a thread about it. Do not change the topic of a currently existing thread.

Micah 5:2 is the subject here. Comment on that or start a new thread. I am with John and Chris on this one. When you want to have an honest discussion apart from the vitriole and hyperbole that characterizes much of the KJVOnly crowd, then I will be glad to participate. It gets old asking for you and others of your opinion to deal with verses and doctrines and having you refuse to answer the questions choosing to go on with your own ideas. I am willing to discuss things with you in a decent and gentlemanly manner if you so desire. However, we must deal in honesty if that is to be the case.

20. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

You mean dishonest don't you? I was only responding to a previous post. If that bothers you, then TOO BAD. As someone once said to me, "I find your demeanor in your posts to be unbecoming of a pastor" and also "What a great, pastoral heart you have".

Bro. Steve Smith

[ September 29, 2001: Message edited by: BroSmith ]
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As a new member who is not familiar with either one of you....this post is "unbecoming of a pastor" and a personal attack. He was ONLY pointing out to you that you were speaking out of line without paying attention to the thread's subject. I saw nothing wrong at all with his attitude, but I see a REAL attitude in YOUR response. Sorry, off thread again--but just had to respond. Let us all try to start following the rules of the board. I for one get a little frustrated at reading KJVO attacks in EVERY SINGLE THREAD discussing a particular subject relating to a particular translation. For one thing, I used to be a KJVO and the arguments are irrational. Sorry, but start your own thread and fight with each other all you want to. I want to learn from some humble scholars and pastors not listen to people calling translations of the Bible as coming from Satan. Why do you think people think we Christians are crazy today? My bet is that you can't even read Hebrew, Greek or Aramaic--let alone my 1614 KJV Bible.

Sorry to interrupt again, but some issues just need a response. :(