1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Million Dollar Baby

Discussion in 'Travel Forum' started by SaggyWoman, Feb 26, 2005.

1. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Did anyone see that movie? What did you think of it?

2. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

I have not seen it myself, but a friend of mine did and said it was not worth my time.

3. music4Him

music4Him New Member

I haven't seen it but what I have heard I won't waste my money either. Its deciving people and promoting right to die by playing on peoples emotions. [​IMG] :(

4. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

I really wanted to see the movie - then I heard that it glorifies euthanasia (or however it is you spell that word) Mercy killing becomes the main theme of the movie according to Michael Medved. The biggest advert against seeing the movie is Maureen Dowd in the NY Times, who blasts Medved doe alerting the public to the real theme.

I dont mind thrillers w/ lots of blood etc, as I see them as escapism - I draw the line at sex, movies that glorify abortion, or now mercy killing

5. mountainrun

mountainrun New Member

I haven't seen it either.
    However, I WILL refrain from playing movie critic regarding a movie I haven't seen.

I have, however, heard it discussed and there are different opinions from viewers on whether if glorifies euthanasia or simply portrays it.

MR

6. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Not knowing what it was about before I went to see it, the only thing I knew was that it was a boxing movie. Except that the movie was about euthanasia, I liked it.

Because the movie promoted euthanasia, I didn't like it.

7. P_Barnes

P_Barnes New Member

Is that the theme of the entire movie, or is just how it ends? I'm actually pro-euthanasia for the terminally ill. It seems to work in some Scandanavian countries.

8. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

P_Barnes, shouldn't you leave that up to God? I was quite shocked to see you say you're pro euthanasia! Yes, it's done in some countries but those countries also will put to death the imperfect. Murder!

9. P_Barnes

P_Barnes New Member

I mean for the terminally ill only, and at the patient's discretion. If someone is in the end stages of Lou Gehrig's Disease, then their eventual demise is certain. So what is the point of forcing them to live three more months in wretched misery? I think this is a far cry from bureacrats or whomever deciding to "put down" the profoundly mentally ill, etc.

10. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Euthanasia is always wrong in my opinion. Refusing treatment that would only prolong agony is one thing but to take a medication for the sole purpose of ending one's life or call in Dr. Kevorkian is murder/ suicide.

11. RockRambler

RockRambler New Member

I saw the movie the first weekend it was out and thought it was excellent. Little did I know that I wasn't smart enough to realize the propoganda that was being preached to me!! Thanks goodness for all these conservative commentors to look after me...now I don't have to think for myself anymore. I can just listen to them, accept their opinions as fact and not have to make up my own mind.

It was getting so tiring trying to think for myself!!!

12. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's really just a matter of "ALLOWING" death, or "CAUSING" death; massive difference!

13. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

Rock

I actually wanted to see the movie - I would be interested in your analysis of it

14. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

Haven't seen it. Went to see "Because of Winn Dixie", instead. What a great movie.

15. RockRambler

RockRambler New Member

Jimmy C, I'm not a movie critic and just know what I like. The movie has great boxing scenes, very good character development. The final scene is in support of mercy-killing I suppose, but I took it as it showed more of the father/daughter relationship that had developed between the crusty old trainer and the female boxer.

I didn't leave thinking it had been an advertisement for mercy-killing.

Of course I also saw HITCH weekend before last and I like that too. I'm more into escaping things for a couple of hours when I go to the theatre than I am looking for a great message.

16. MargoWriter

MargoWriter New Member

Even if you are "only" allowing or causing death, what gives anyone the right to do so? God brings us into this world, he takes us out.

That kind of pain at the end of a disease would be stinkin' awful to bear, I know . . . but do you think God doesn't know that too? He does choose to take some early so that they won't suffer. If he wanted to he could take them all early so they wouldn't suffer--but obvsiously he doesn't choose to do so.

17. donnA

donnA Active Member

Is it really good? We want to see this movie. Probably have to wait for the rental though.
    We didn't see Million Dollar Baby, and probably won't, just never seemed interesting.
    Theres a lot of talk about the oscars, of the movies nominated we saw Finding Neverland, a really good family moive.

18. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Us too, Donna, off the satellite. If Jim had off, he could take Nick during the day and get the lower price but STILL $15.~~

19. P_Barnes

P_Barnes New Member

What if someone has a virulent case of bilobar pneumonia. Without antibiotics (and a host of other treatments) they would die. Should we say that God has chosen for them to die and we should withold treatment and let God's will be done? Point is, I think there is some gray area here. I just absolutely cannot see the point to letting someone in the end stages of Lou Gehrig's, Sickle Cell Anemia, AIDS, etc suffer for another several weeks for no reason.

20. MargoWriter

MargoWriter New Member

I see things in the Bible that support treatment, but I don't see things that support patient assisted suicide.

But it's one of those things you have to draw your own conclusion on. It's time for me to just shut up about it. [​IMG] I reach a certain point and decide, time for me to be a lady and just throw out the soap box.

Not trying to be unresaonable. Will now be quiet on the subject. ;)