1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Milo Yiannopoulos and the Church of Winning

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Rolfe, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Interesting opinion piece.

Milo Yiannopoulos and the Church of Winning

Last paragraph:
    Electoral victory, obtained seemingly at any cost, has become more important than all other moral or religious obligations one might assume come with the role of spiritual leadership. Scarcely a month into this brave new version of conservatism, my suspicion is that we have not yet begun to see how far evangelical standards will yield to the Church of Winning.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politic...ulos-immoral-authority/517386/?utm_source=twb

2. MennoSota

MennoSota Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The Church of Winning. Isn't that the name of Joel Osteen's health and wealth church?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Use of Time

Use of Time Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Blessedwife has had a lot of good comments recently on the sacrifice of Christian principles to political pragmatism.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree....but she needs to assert herself more. See you have to make people think---otherwise the Trump Stance becomes the only stance without opposition (group think)

See I want people to argue with my posts, otherwise they wont take them seriously. People wont think it though & ask questions & finally come to their own conclusions----they will merely operate like robots & our country must never operate in that fashion.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    She is one of the brighter young minds on this site.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think he just transferred his membership to the Church of Losing...his book deal, his job...

• Like Like x 1
  7. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here's the posture conservative columnist Rod Dreher recently encouraged seminarians to adopt at SBTS:
    [February 2017 Gheens Lecture, Southern Baptist Theological Seminary]

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. Baptist Brother

Baptist Brother Active Member

Homosexual men are typically into "pedophilia". So, Milo's comments on boys was to be expected. Any "conservative" homosexual is going to be outed eventually, while homosexuals on the left need not fear being outed for their pedophilia bent.

Baptists can be strange. They're up in arms about drinking, while turning a blind eye to divorce and premarital sex that plague their churches. Old men can sodomize 16 year old boys, but offering a 20 year old a beer is a crime. Baptists seem more concerned about that beer.

During the election, I first visited Breitbart, of which Milo was an editor. I found it to be a disgusting website. Why conservatives ever supported Milo is beyond me, other than they're welling to sell their souls for political gain, and so having neither political gain nor their souls.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. ChrisTheSaved

ChrisTheSaved Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I hate him and he is a sick person who needs Jesus. I watched the videos, he did not say anything remotely like what he's being accused of.

10. Calminian

Calminian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Just pondering the people here, who campaigned so hard for Hillary, are now railing against wining. Personally I thank God for wins..... wins for the unborn, wins for the oppressed, wins for religious freedom, wins for national security.

While the liberals on this board talk about their principles, Trump is appointing conservative justices who actually can do something. I can't tell you how thankful I am the majority of Christians did not listen to the pseudo pro-lifers here. We didn't turn our backs.

As far as homosexuals, the Bible condemns it and Churches should also. Thankfully, with Trump in office, we'll preserve the religious freedom to do just that. I'm also thankful we have a president willing to protect homosexuals from radical islamist. It's a good testimony.

Yeah, I'm totally fine with winning. I thank God for it often. Defeat is always lurking, so I don't take it for granted.

• Like Like x 1
  11. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Too late!

12. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    And that is an illustration of the problem he was addressing. The fact that he did not say what the "Christian right/Neo-cons" say he said, and does not advocate what they are claiming he advocates, but they will selectively edit his comments and deliberately "misunderstand" what he was saying because they don't want anyone to listen to him, not because his views are all wrong, but because he is gay and therefore can't ever be right about anything.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    That proves not to be the case. In fact, homosexual men are less likely to be pedophiles than heterosexual men.

Except by "boys" he was not referring to children. "Boys" is a fairly common term given to young male adults in the gay community.

I don't think you know what the word "pedophilia" means. Look up hebephilia and ephebophilia.

If your church approves of old men sodomizing teenagers you need to find a different church.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Calminian

Site Supporter

Haven't followed this, but have no doubt the media is distorting things. I don't hate him at all. I've never looked up to him nor listened to him to any great extent. But I do welcome homosexuals to join our cause. Reagan did. Very few will, but if one does that makes me wonder if God isn't working on them. If Milo is against gay marriage and stands with Christians on many political issues, I can't see the benefit of ridiculing him. If he respects our right to believe homosexuality is sin, why should we not respect him back? Why not show him Christian love and pray for his deliverance?

Reminds me a lot of the Trump hate from Christians. Where is forgiveness?

15. blessedwife318

blessedwife318 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The problem with this idea is that it violates a clear command in Scripture.
    "14Do not be unequally yoked with unbelievers. For what partnership has righteousness with lawlessness? Or what fellowship has light with darkness? 15What accord has Christ with Belial?b Or what portion does a believer share with an unbeliever? 16What agreement has the temple of God with idols? For we are the temple of the living God; as God said,“I will make my dwelling among them and walk among them,
    and I will be their God,
    and they shall be my people.
    17Therefore go out from their midst,
    and be separate from them, says the Lord,
    and touch no unclean thing;
    then I will welcome you,
    18and I will be a father to you,
    and you shall be sons and daughters to me,
    says the Lord Almighty.”
    2 Cor 6:14-18

While we usually apply this passage to marriage relationships I think that it applies to other associations as well. Christians have always been the minority. That has been true from the very beginning of the church, yet by staying true to the principles that God has established in His word, the world has changed.

On the free speech issue I see the Republicans making the same error that the Left has also made on freedom issues. Milo has the right to say whatever he wants, and if he is in a public space (Including public universities) that is protected by the first amendment, but private organizations have the right of free associations. This is the very argument that we make every time we defend a bakers or florist right to not participate in homosexual weddings. CPAC is a private organization that has the right to invite or not invite anyone to speak, and they made a grave error in even inviting Milo.

As a Christian we need to trust that God is in the trenches with us, and realize that just because someone enrages the left doesn't automatically make them a friend to us, especially when that person is living and advocating for a lifestyle antithetical to Christianity. We will not change the culture by embracing the worst side the culture has to offer. We change the culture by standing apart from the culture on Biblical principles.

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. Calminian

Site Supporter

Can't say I agree with you on this one, Brother. The homosexual community, by and large, opposes Christian conservatism on every level. Therefore, if a few want to come out and embrace our views and support our causes, I don't have a problem with it. Reagan invited homosexuals to join his cause. He knew very few would, but welcomed those who wanted to. He was tolerant, but didn't compromise. He supported their civil rights, but not their larger agenda:

"My criticism is that [the gay movement] isn't just asking for civil rights; it's asking for recognition and acceptance of an alternative lifestyle which I do not believe society can condone, nor can I."

If Milo wants to support our rights and our principles, I say that's a good thing.

17. Calminian

Site Supporter

I knew someone would throw out this verse and try to apply it to politics. No this is not speaking about politics or the workplace or any other worldly environment. We can have an unbelieving bosses. We Christians can hire unbelievers. We can have unbelieving friends. We can even be friends with sinners.

This is not what this passage is about. We are not be be unequally yoked in ministry.

We don't go out and witness the gospel with unbelievers. We don't give the pulpit to unbelievers and allow them to preach a different gospel. We don't partner with mormons to share the gospel. This passage is about ministry. It is not speaking to worldly friendships and partnerships.

Paul speaks clearly about this:

1Cor. 5:9 I wrote to you in my epistle not to keep company with sexually immoral people. 10 Yet I certainly did not mean with the sexually immoral people of this world, or with the covetous, or extortioners, or idolaters, since then you would need to go out of the world. 11 But now I have written to you not to keep company with anyone named a brother, who is sexually immoral, or covetous, or an idolater, or a reviler, or a drunkard, or an extortioner—not even to eat with such a person.

1Cor. 5:12 For what have I to do with judging those also who are outside? Do you not judge those who are inside? 13 But those who are outside God judges. Therefore “put away from yourselves the evil person.”​

• Like Like x 1
  18. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "The Gospel Coalition - Why Are Non-Christians TGC Panelists?"

https://www.thegospelcoalition.org/article/why-are-non-christians-tgc15-panelists

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. blessedwife318

blessedwife318 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you for quoting another verse for why I could not vote for Trump since I'm not even suppose to eat with him given his claims to be a Christian.

Also you helped make my point about why Christians should not be joining forces with Milo. As you said that passage has to do with ministry and I was responding to a speaker advocating that a Seminary, a ministry helping to train pastors, joining forces with the likes of Milo. We are not to have fellowship with darkness. As James points out "You adulterous people!c Do you not know that friendship with the world is enmity with God? Therefore whoever wishes to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God" James 4:4

Again we do not change the culture by embracing the worst side of it, we do so by standing firm to the Principles God has established in His word.

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Kinda like your ministry!