1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ministry restrictions for non-members?

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by scooter, Nov 16, 2004.

1. scooter

scooter New Member

What ministry restrictions does your church place on non-members? For example, teaching, nursery, VBS, AWANA, kitchen, etc.

2. aefting

aefting New Member

Normally, we only allow members to serve in the areas that you mentioned. We have allowed exceptions for student interns and guest speakers/groups.

Andy

3. Debby in Philly

Debby in Philly Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Non-members cannot vote or hold office. Beyond that, it's at the discretion of the Pastor, the Deacons, and the director of the particular program. However, I don't know of any non-members in positions of a higher level such as teaching.

4. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    We allow non-members to serve in the gift of "helps" - they can work with programs, youth, ladies, usher, building/grounds, etc, but not teach or be in platform ministry (lead singing, preach) or of course be any officer of the church.

When working 18 months with the Free Church, they allowed non-members to do ANY ministry except elder/deacon. I baptized our SS Superintendent in the river while I was there!

5. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Our church is similar to Dr. Bob's, for the most part. We have had guest musicians and speakers in, though, that haven't been members.

6. joyfulkeeperathome

joyfulkeeperathome New Member

I'm not yet a member of our church and I play the piano, sing special music, teach Chidren's Church, work the nursery, etc, etc, etc....

7. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think only members should be involved in church ministry. First you cannot have church discpline on non-members. Second, if you serve in a ministry you are making a commitment to the church. Isnt that what membership is all about?

Some say it is okay for college students to teach, ect as a watchcare member. Well, lets see, the college year is 8-9 months, which means they spend most of the time at the church near there college. Maybe, they chould be "watchcare members" at their former home church.

Lets add one more thing to this discussion. Some church schools require that all the school teachers be members of the church. What say you?

8. bapmom

bapmom New Member

Hey SaltCity,

we go one step further and require all the school KIDS to be from families of church members.

we would not have anyone as a teacher in the school who is not a member of our church, just like we wouldnt have a non-member teaching anywhere on Sunday at church.

9. j_barner2000

j_barner2000 Member

I have a lady who does not believe in "church membership" as such. She is a regular attender, tithes and then some, and is a faithful prayer warrior. She does not join ecause she believes that church membership is a result of salvation and baptism, not by the members accepting a candidate. We are honored to have a gifted teacher like her teaching a ladies Bible study and I am thankful that the Lord answered prayer with her.

However, ordinarily, I try to use members for ministry. The church has no official policy and I believe that each situation needs prayerful consideration. :D

10. Brother Ian

Brother Ian Active Member

Non-members can sing in the choir and play in the orchestra. All other areas of ministry require the workers to be members. If they work with children, a police background is required.

11. TomVols

TomVols New Member

There is a legal issue about non-members working with children/youth. If you haven't screened your workers and they are not members, and God forbid (this happens on a weekly basis) some indiscretion happens, the church is liable because they let a non-member loose and exposed the church to public ridicule and a courtroom drama where lawyers go wild.

Barring special events, no non-member should be allowed to hold an office. Any activities must come under the purview of a team/ministry leader.

As for churches that require their teachers to be members, about 95% of the ones I have been affiliated with do so because they have a shoddy view of their sister churches or are looking to pick up a few easy members. It's a practice I disagree with. Adherance to a Statement of Faith should suffice. If not, fire them. Hard to fire a person who's a member.