1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Miss Missouri has that something extra going for her in Miss USA contest!

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by righteousdude2, Sep 13, 2016.

1. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not judging anybody. I'm judging the pageant system.

I used to watch it all of the time growing up. My friends and I would have pallet parties and we would scream and yell and get excited over who would win and we got all caught up in it - especially those years in the early 1980's when we personally knew the girls from the Louisiana and one of them made the top 5.

But, then we hit about our late 20's and early 30's and we just had to groan and say "OOOooooooohhhhhhh!" [​IMG]

It's the context of what the pageants represent and the terrible limitations of what makes a good female role model.

2. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    S
    Sick :Speechless

3. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not necessarily, but God made woman beautiful to the eyes of man for a reason. Far as I know, He has never altered that reason. Man looking upon man for the same reason is abhorrent to Him.

4. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Uh... I don't think I said ANYTHING about same sex attraction. Not one thing.

5. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, you have alluded to sexual attraction and same sex attraction does sorta seem to be the subject of the thread. I am curious about one thing though, were there any men amongst the judges? Would they look at a lesbian women any differently than they would a straight one? :confused:

6. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have marked several posts that I like and agree with, all of them skeptical of the pageant system and what it represents. I do believe that some systems are better than others, i.e., Miss America seems to be better than the Miss World system. I would say that some Miss Americas are outstanding Christians (from what I can tell.) The one from my town is, as best as I can tell, a wonderful woman (raised a Methodist and now a Baptist) who has used her influence for nothing but good. I could be wrong; only God knows the heart.

But too many pageants are meat markets, and truthfully, much like the slave markets of the bad old days. They appeal primarily to prurient interests (as the Supreme Court once said.)

That said, I am more disturbed by the lesser pageant circuits that put toddlers to pre-teens on a treadmill of constant competition, striving for unattainable "beauty" and, BTW, bankrupting and disrupting families. (Yes, Honey Boo-Boo comes to mind.) This is not particularly unique, because parents push their children into all kinds of things the kids really don't want to do in order to prove their worth. I myself was once an offender; I eventually got over it. And I don't have any statistics to back me up, but I would guess that the young women who do well at the big pageants, by and large, didn't grow up competing in the minor leagues.

• Agree Agree x 2