1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mixed Swimming - Acceptable or Not?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by mnw, Jun 6, 2006.

1. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Umm...I know you are a woman so you can only go by what you are told what you have observed when it comes to the way men respond, but I would say that the 11 year old boy either has not been taught what an immodest girl is( hte extent) or there truly weren'y any (doubtful) or he lied. Probably the first one.

Since when do we trust 11 year olds for our concept of modesty?

2. gekko

gekko New Member

a thought just occured to me:

could it be that its not really a matter of modest vs. immodest swimming attire along with mixed swimming?

but rather that it could be our mindset that is either modest or immodest? our thoughts being modest or immodest? our spiritual life being righteous or unrighteous? (no im not equating modesty with righteousness...)

but could it be? could it be that we're just defending our hearts and minds from that which we think is wrong? whether its wrong or not - is an opinion.

but could it be? that its more of a matter of a modest vs. immodest heart and mind condition rather then the actual physical swimming attire?

3. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Well Dale, this is the same kid who, when visiting the national gallery of art, made the comment that the artists should have painted the figures "with clothes ON!". I think he has a pretty good concept of what is modest and what is not.

And are you accusing me of having not already taught my son what modesty is!?

How many children are you raising Dale? (just an informational question that will allow me to better see where your point of view is coming from)

4. bapmom

bapmom New Member

gekko,

I think you are falling into a myth that several others here have seemed to express as well......that if we had clean minds than immodesty wouldn't bother us. God says to flee this sort of temptation, not to fight it. And He does not say that we ought to use it as a test of how spiritual we are. Just to flee it. That would seem to mean we ought to avoid it, right?

Of course if there had been no Fall of Mankind then yes, "immodesty" would not be known among us. It would not then bother us. But there is no man or woman who is not under the Fall. I think your idea of someone with that "clean" of a mind could only be found in someone who had not Fallen.
    Only one Person I know of would fit that bill. :)

5. gekko

gekko New Member

i agree bapmom. i was just throwing an idea out there. see where it would go.

yeah - if that temptation comes up - we've got to get up on the legs of Joseph and run! joseph didn't stick around to fight off potiphars wife. no he ran.

like what we gotta do when that type of temptation comes up.

personally - for me. mixed swimming doesn't rise up with temptations (im sure it does once in awhile at water parks and what not) but when i swim. im more focused on staying afloat rather then giving in to temptation. rather im more focused on God then anything else. but i sure as anything dont want to drown!

now im not saying im immune to temptation - nah. the Lord helps me not to give into it.

i mean. if you're swimming in the ocean - say you're surfing... and of course there's gon' be temptations rising up - and you're out on your board...
    how are you supposed to run out of that situation? i dont think i can walk on water let alone run on it!

you may say "well then cut surfing out of your schedule!" ---> umm. no. surfing is one of the most fun extreme sports ever! cannot give up surfing...
    unless God's got other plans. :D

i love the beach. i love the bush. that's why im applying for beach2bush ywam - ministries on the beach and in the bush.

6. DodgeRamFanatic

DodgeRamFanatic New Member

Maybe clean, "modest" minds would help out a lot, but there's only one problem--two, as a matter of fact: #1 "The heart is deceitful and above all things desperately wicked--who can know it?" Whatever is in our hearts will eventually surface to our minds, and then come out in our actions. If we are wearing immodest clothes, no matter how clean our minds are, no matter how hard we try to control ourselves, we can very easily start acting sensual, or something, and that sorta opens up the way for us to do things that are a little unhealthy.

Earlier on in the topic, someone said something that puzzled me: "Women can swim modestly." Excuse me? That's almost impossible. Either we wear decentish shorts and T-shirt/tank-top that cling to us when we get outta the water/float up, or we're already wearing underwear that's so revealing and tight...

As for mixed swimming, Whoever-started-this-topic, you may feel weird, but you're definitely not the only one. I'm not about to take the chance swimming with guys any time soon.
    DRF