1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MMF - Another rock n roll topic

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by Revolt, Jun 20, 2002.

1. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Are you a product of the public school system, which teaches the same, as well as, "There are no absolutes," "Everything is relative."

God placed in the Bible absolutes which are non-negotiable. They are in the form of the Ten Commandments. "Thou shalt not kill." "Thou shalt not steal" Nothing in itself is evil--like murder, stealing, adultery? There are no absolutes except for the one just stated, "There are no absoultes??" Is this your belief system? It is not of God. It is humanism, and it comes from Satan himself. There is a difference between right and wrong and you had better learn it.
    DHK

2. Revolt

Revolt New Member

Are you a product of the public school system, which teaches the same, as well as, "There are no absolutes," "Everything is relative."

God placed in the Bible absolutes which are non-negotiable. They are in the form of the Ten Commandments. "Thou shalt not kill." "Thou shalt not steal" Nothing in itself is evil--like murder, stealing, adultery? There are no absolutes except for the one just stated, "There are no absoultes??" Is this your belief system? It is not of God. It is humanism, and it comes from Satan himself. There is a difference between right and wrong and you had better learn it.
    DHK
    </font>[/QUOTE]thou shalt not listin to music with a beat

3. Revolt

Revolt New Member

thou shalt not listin to good music
    Imagination 6:5

everything I dont like is sinful
    DHK 3:2

4. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There you go again quibbling over words. You meant music, and music in whatever form is discovered.

I would refer you to Bob Fink, a preeminent musicologist, on the subject. {CLICK HERE}

While we're on the subject of mincing words, any rational observer could see that it is you who attempt to avoid the subject and rewrite definitions of words when cornered on a topic.

5. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You go first. Show me in the Bible where it commands us to use musical instruments in Christian worship.

Then I will show you in the Bible where it tells you to shun sensuality and evil communications.

6. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

Aaron said:

There you go again quibbling over words. You meant music, and music in whatever form is discovered.

Aaron, if I had meant music, I would have said "music." But as it is, I said "the twelve-tone scale." Other cultures use other scales of different intervals.

A scale is not music, any more than an alphabet is a book. I am not "quibbling over words," I am objecting, very strongly, to what I perceive on your part as a dishonest twisting of my words - which, unfortunately, has become all too common from your keyboard when your presuppositions are challenged.

7. AdoptedDaughter

AdoptedDaughter New Member

You go first. Show me in the Bible where it commands us to use musical instruments in Christian worship.

Then I will show you in the Bible where it tells you to shun sensuality and evil communications.
    </font>[/QUOTE]We may not be commanded, but we do see in the Bible where worship is often accompinied by some sort of instrument!

How about, Psalms 33, in verse two? Here, I'll provide it for you!

"Praise the LORD with harp: sing unto him with the psaltery and an instrument of ten strings." or even Ps 43:4
    "Then will I go unto the altar of God, unto God my exceeding joy: yea, upon the harp will I praise thee, O God my God." Here's another one besides the harp:
    Ps 71:22
    "I will also praise thee with the psaltery..."

I'll add some more later!

Your turn!

In Christ's gracious love,
    Teresa

8. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The early church did not see the Psalms as commandments enjoined upon the Church. Musical instruments were brought into Christian worship through the RCC along with a priesthood, the burning of incense, priestly garb, and other shadows of the Mosaic Law.

But taking snippets from the OT, which, BTW, also commands us to worship with the blood of goats and bulls, incense, washings, etc., cannot be carried over as models for the NT church.

But can you find anything resembling a contemporary worship service in the Gospels or Acts? Anything at all from the NT?

9. Odemus

Odemus New Member

The burden of proof is entirely on you Aaron.If you want to propose the notion that music can be inherently evil then you are without a doubt going to be called on it.You have been asked time and time again to offer Biblical support to this belief but have been rendered thoroughly incapable of showing anything but personal bias.

Ultimatum: Stop using your own opinion and show us scriptural evidence to support your claim or else let go of your pride and admit that music that praises God is music that praises God.

10. AdoptedDaughter

AdoptedDaughter New Member

Thank you very much,Odemus!

Aaron, I never said that these were commandments, I simply said that we often see instruments included in worship. If you are going to argue, or quote me, I ask that you say what I said, not what you wanted me to say.

By the way, I'm still waiting for your proof.

In Christ's gracious love,
    Teresa

11. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'll take that as, "No, Aaron. We cannot find any NT exhortation to use musical instruments in Christian worship. Only if we bring over Judaic forms fromt the OT can we find any Scriptural warrant.

BTW, it is not my opinion that the early church did not use instruments. It is accepted as fact. Not only are they no where described or suggested in the NT, but historical scholarship concedes that the early Christians shunned Judaic and pagan forms of worship.

For my evidence, please {CLICK HERE}

[ June 27, 2002, 03:38 PM: Message edited by: Aaron ]

12. Odemus

Odemus New Member

Again, more subjective opinion and no scriptural standards.

You've been cornered and you know you are wrong.It's about time you admit it.

13. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Odemus,

Do you have any other stock rebuttals? This one is worn a little thin. Using it against me is one thing, but against these preeminent authorities? Now who's biased here? ;)

14. Odemus

Odemus New Member

We all have bias but I'm not the one making unsupportable claims.

15. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ransom,

I apologize. I thought you were talking about a 12-tone musical scale. [​IMG]

16. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh wait! You were talking about a musical scale. Otherwise, your reply to DHK would be absurd. Now admit it. You were equating the 12-tone scale to "worldly music." Weren't you. ;)

17. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You aren't? Where is your support that music is neutral?

[ June 27, 2002, 08:42 PM: Message edited by: Aaron ]

18. Odemus

Odemus New Member

You aren't? Where is your support that music is neutral?</font>[/QUOTE]1 Corinthians 10:23-33

19. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Now here is a marvelous thing. I am accused of using passages that have nothing to do with the topic at hand, but here you actually do it.

When Paul says here that "all things are lawful," is he setting forth a straightforward maxim, or is he countering the cavils of wanton men?

Of course it is the latter, for no where in the Scriptures are all things declared lawful.

But let's say for argument's sake that Paul really did mean that all things were lawful. You still are under constraint to regard the conscience of your "weaker" brothers and not give any offense in any thing. So chuck those CD's Christian!

And yet, even so, there is nothing here about the neutrality of anything.

[ June 27, 2002, 11:58 PM: Message edited by: Aaron ]

20. Matticus

Matticus New Member

Aaron, I can still make no sense of your argument. From what I know of the Bible, God wants everyone to worship Him. Who are we to decide what is and isn't acceptable worship to Him? Personnally, I don't think that God cares what music we praise Him with, as long we are praising Him with it, and not the musicians that made the music we're praising with or ourselves or anything else. By saying that certain kinds of music cannot be used to praise God, you are limiting God. God cannot be limited to what we make Him. Remember, we were made in God's image, not the other way around. Please stop limiting God to your own interpretation of the Bible and your own thoughts and opinions. He is much bigger than you and me.

God Bless you
    Matticus