1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Moderating according to Robert's Rules ...

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by PJ, Apr 11, 2006.

1. AntennaFarmer

AntennaFarmer Member

According to the "Robert's Rules" web site the first edition of the book was published in 1876.

http://www.robertsrules.com/history.html

Robert's Rules protect the minority in the sense that they attempt to provide for a fair hearing for all parties.

Robert's Rules are widely accepted as a standard. But I'm sure that any Church can have different rules provided they have been agreed to before hand.

Brother Bob - I would love to hear more about your Rules of Decorum.

2. AntennaFarmer

AntennaFarmer Member

On the original question:

In the Churches I have attended the Pastor was usually the moderator.

As I recall the moderator doesn't normally participate in discussion or vote. To do so would give the moderator an excess of control over the proceedings.

If the moderator needs to speak on a matter he can temporarily step aside (making someone else the moderator) while discussion and vote is carried out.

I don't think the intent of the rules is to silence the Pastor in a business meeting.

3. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

The Moderator does not have a vote unless there is a tie then he can break the tie. I doubt if any moderator brings up a subject before giving his advice to the church. If the moderator needs to bring up a subject other than giving advice then he calls for the assistant to take the stand while he speaks. I certainly don't think the intent is to silence the Pastor, who would want to serve a church where he was to be silent. I lord nothing over on the church or want to but do feel obligated to give advice in which direction I think the church should go but if it comes to a vote, the majority rules without the Pastor voting. If at any time the church feels the Pastor has gone too far they have the option of removing him by vote but I must of did something right to be there for 17 years and expect I will be there much longer if my health holds up. Robert's rules consider minorities but we don't have such a thing. Everyone is equal in our church and every member has the same rights as the others.
    I have nothing to say about what other churches use as their rules. It is we as a people have our own.

4. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Brother Bob!! I'm gonna just about "betcha"---that if you lay your rules down next to Robert---you'll find many things that parallel--and that if you have a rule that Robert doesn't speak about---that rule will be a rare cookie!

And --- just checking on this ---- are any of your rules in writing??

5. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Blackbird;
    Of course our rules are in writing and I suppose they would be close to Robert's, don't really know for sure. I suppose that Robert got his information in the beginning from churches like ours, at least I think that is what he said. Even though we started in 1893 our association goes farther back than that and the rules haven't changed all that much just been added to so as to take care of new problems that have come along over the years.

6. PJ

PJ Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, inappropriate when governed by Robert's Rules ...

I couldn't agree more ...

7. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I have never seen anything get done without a good leader. In the church or in our work and everyday life. If you want total confusion just turn everyone loose to lead and you will go in that many directions. Sorry but again, I say all Moderators and Pastors lead, that is their duty to do so. All the Pastors I have ever talked to are the leaders of their church.

8. PJ

PJ Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Robert's Rules are used in vast venues. My sons got a better understanding of Robert's Rules attending FFA meetings.

Our church has fine leaders, all elected by the people. Directorship protocols are exercised in every department. God sent us a fine pastor 10 years ago and he also serves according to protocol. We all work well together and I appreciate each and every one of them.

A Robert's Rules moderator is a facilitator, arbitrator or mediator. This applies whether it's a church business meeting, FFA business meeting or any other type of meeting.

9. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

PJ;
    Very good PJ and I am glad for you and your church. The same is true for us except we use our own rules which is our preference but we do not question your use of Robert's Rules at all. It seems you are saying that you do at your church what I have said we do all along. If he is a facilitator, arbitrator and mediator, then he gives advice. May God continue to Bless you,
    BBob

10. PJ

PJ Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks, BBob. With another form of government in place, you'd have no need for Robert's Rules. And I totally respect your church's preference.

May the Lord richly bless you and yours, brother! [​IMG]