1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Modern ‘desensitizations’

Discussion in 'Polls Forum' started by Alcott, May 18, 2006.

?
  1. …was immediately frustrated because I might be late

22.2%
  2. …thought of careless drivers and the problems they cause for people like me

7.4%
  3. …began calculating in my mind how much time I had to spare

22.2%
  4. …immediately tried to think of an alternate route

11.1%
  5. …began listening for a traffic report on radio to get an idea of how long the delay

14.8%
  6. …said—verbally or silently—an expletive

7.4%
  7. …began thinking of those involved, and knowing it <i>could</i> be myself

14.8%
  8. …was just ‘cool’ to the whole thing and let other thoughts predominate

3.7%
  9. …immediately thought of <i>whoever</i> was involved and prayed for their well-being

33.3%
  10. …began looking for the quickest way off the road to see if I could get close enough to help, if need

3.7%
  11. No answer

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    With our current way of life in America, and other places, we are said to be desensitized to many things our ancestors, a few generations back, were not. In each of these situations, how did you, or how would you, respond? If you have had such an experience fairly recently, answer on that basis, please.

2. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I put "no answer" for the first question because I work at home.

On the 2nd one, I just would scold the kids and tell them talking that way is displeasing to God and disrespectful of themselves and others. A lot depends on exactly what they were saying, how much of it, whether I would know them, and their ages, so it was hard to answer.

On the 3rd one, I would be polite and try to engage the men in conversation, like asking about their work, etc. I would then go home and pray for God to give me an opportunity to witness to them, and pray that they would want to know about Christ by observing Christ's love in me.

3. billreber

billreber New Member

1. Taking an exit, I heard and almost saw an accident on a freeway. Pulled back onto the ramp on the opposite side of the freeway to check those involved and possibly call for help. (Ended up leaving very soon, as no one was hurt and help had already been called).

2. Scolded them, warned of telling parents, and told parents. (Took the kids with me to the parents, BTW). Actually have done this!

3. No answer. Must admit I have never been placed in this situation. Agree strongly with Marcia, however!

Bill

4. thjplgvp

thjplgvp Member

Question #1 brought to mind the story of the good Samaritan. I failed the crash course. Concerned about time.

Question #2 was fairly easy for me.

Question #3 was difficult for the following reasons.

I have friend who is a closet homosexual we have been friends for years but obviously I did not know this when we first met. We have talked about the sinfulness of his position a few times and each time he has assured me he is thankful that I have been willing to talk with him without condemning him. He has never introduced to me his partner but I would say that based on our friendship and the fact that we have spoken before on the matter that I would or could accept his partner while condemning their relationship scripturally.

If we avoid the personal contact with homosexuals how do we preach to them or reach them with gospel?

To accept the homosexual and their agenda under the guise (I would not do it but...) is a great injustice to our purpose of being here. Perhaps we are born for such a time as this?

Tough questions. A good poll.

5. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Compare the times of today to the times of the Roman Empire. That will give you the answer of how much man's heart has changed. The fact is that man's heart is still the same.

For those who think things are worse just think of how many Christians today own stolen people and then go to church on Sunday.

6. Enoch

Enoch New Member

…immediately thought of <i>whoever</i> was involved and prayed for their well-being

7. ChristineES

ChristineES New Member

Whenever I see any ambulance, fire truck, or accident I usually drop my head in a quick prayer for whomever was involved.