1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mohler and Yoga: Your Take

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by jaigner, Oct 7, 2010.

1. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

You can look it up yourself and see if I'm wrong.

2. rbell

rbell Active Member

I'm against Yoga. His AFLAC commercials aren't funny anymore, and I never did like the Jellystone National Park cartoons too much.

3. Fred's Wife

Fred's Wife Member

Yoga is Hinduism

4. ichthys

ichthys Member

From what I've heard and read, it was just Mohler answering a bunch of people who had asked him about combining "Christian" and "yoga," then a month later Yahoo News found out about it.
    It's not like he's on a crusade, "exposing dangers," or even "attacking yoga," he was just giving opinions and engaging in dialogues, when asked.
    Seems even Christians can't do that anymore without other Christians stretching it to extremes and mocking them. Maybe they need some breathing exercises or something [not yoga though]? :tear:

5. John Toppass

John Toppass Active Member
    Site Supporter

I think I would tend to believe Ann, at least she doesn't seem to make up her facts.

6. Fred's Wife

Fred's Wife Member

I found this article by Marsha West very informative:

CHRISTIANS TROUBLED WHEN THEY LEARN THE TRUTH ABOUT YOGA

By Marsha West

October 16, 2010
    NewsWithViews.com

Believers are called to meditate upon the Word of God — an external Word that comes to us by divine revelation — not to meditate by means of incomprehensible syllables.” –Albert Mohler

“All forms of yoga involve occult assumptions, even hatha yoga, which is often presented as a merely physical discipline.” –Douglas Groothuis

Albert Mohler, President of Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, got into deep weeds with devotees of “Christian yoga” over his recent article, The Subtle Body -- Should Christians Practice Yoga? Things got worse following his podcast The Meaning of Yoga: A Conversation with Stefanie Syman and Doug Groothuis.

In the interview Douglas Groothuis, who serves as Professor of Philosophy at Denver Seminary, stated categorically that yoga should not be practiced by those who profess Christ and Dr. Mohler agreed. For this he was called insane, incompetent, stupid, vile, fundamentalist, and perverted. Other names are “best left unrepeated.”

So much for Christian love.

When it comes to practicing yoga Dr. Mohler believes there are contradictions between Christian’s commitments and their embrace of yoga. He wrote:

“The contradictions are not few, nor are they peripheral. The bare fact is that yoga is a spiritual discipline by which the adherent is trained to use the body as a vehicle for achieving consciousness of the divine.”

Many professing Christians choose to ignore the bare facts about yoga. They are not interested in looking to Christ “for all that we need and to obey Christ through obeying his Word” as Mohler suggested, rather they are inclined to participate in Eastern mystical practices such as meditation. Mohler drew attention to what many Christians forget: “We are not called to escape the consciousness of this world by achieving an elevated state of consciousness, but to follow Christ in the way of faithfulness.”

http://www.newswithviews.com/West/marsha204.htm

7. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

Not doubting she has found facts, but there are many different types of yoga practiced. There are also other benefits besides strict calorie burning.