1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Morally justified to vote for pro-abortion or against sanctitiy of marriage?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by BobRyan, Jan 24, 2008.

1. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    It has been observed that in past elections the majority RC vote has gone for pro-abortion pro-gay-rights platforms.

Do Christians divorce their moral convictions from their voting as if voting in favor of a-moral programs is not in fact enabling and promoting them?

http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2008/januaryweb-only/104-32.0.html?start=3

The candidate was very cagey about his answers but clearly does not want to be called "born again", does not view Christianity as anything other than a bent towards certain values and ethical choices that do not value concern for the health of the unborn or make a statement about the sanctity of marriage.

In his argument for abortion he tells us that even the wildest liberal pro-abortion extremists are not to be thought of as really "pro-abortion" by evangelicals. Of the 90% "elective" abortion trend in America this candidate can only misdirect to the narrow band of "life of the mother" cases that is protected under BOTH the pro-life and pro-abortion legislation.

When it comes to faith-base-initiatives he is focused on the church and prison ministries but admits he knows nothing about the current faith-based initiatives of our current American government.

He remains pro-gay-rights, pro-abortion and appears to be skeptical of evangelicals - even in this article with CT.

Prior to this article I would have considered him to be a possible - valid choice.

What say you?

Bob

2. donnA

donnA Active Member

Personally I will not vote for someone who is pro abortion and pro gay rights. To me voting for them would be supporting those issues.
    I ahve never considered him to be a valid choice, something wrong there, and I don't want to find out what it is after he's in the white house.

3. grace56

grace56 New Member

Intresting article for sure. What I see in my in law family who are Catholic is that for generations they have voted for the democrats because they feel that the dems will work for the poor and homeless more then the Republicans. When I bring up the arbortion issue it doesn't seem to matter to them, even though their official Church teaching is so very much Pro Life and that they are going against their Church. Sometimes I feel more Catholic then they are, even though I am a Baptist, does that make any sense?

When I am in front of the abortion clinics praying there seems to mostly Catholics and some Baptists mixed together and not much else.. so I guess there are some Catholics who listen to their Church's teachings I just wish there would be more of us Baptists there.

My new motto is life first then lets worry about the poor and hungry, because with out life the rest doesn't matter.

Grace56

4. billwald

billwald New Member

>but clearly does not want to be called "born again"

In common speech by most American voters, "born again" is interpreted to mean "right wing Christian ding bat."

5. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

I have never considered him to be a valid choice...

6. lori4dogs

lori4dogs New Member

Both my spouse and I believe that there is no way we could ever vote for someone who is pro-choice. I could no more vote for someone who were pro-choice than I could for someone advocating a return to slavery.

7. billwald

billwald New Member

"Bama is the only Dem with a chance of winning who might not have sold his soul to whomever. Don't think the Rs have a chance. The working poor should be hurting muchly by this November.

8. Ivon Denosovich

Ivon Denosovich New Member

If given a choice between Giuliani or Clinton and, say, a dictator I think all of us would vote Giuliani/Clinton. My litmus test is this: promote as much good as possible.

9. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    That's like saying "I don't want to be identified as a Bible-believing Christian because for most Atheists in America the term is interpreted to mean right wing religious dingbat".

How coud that ever be a basis for denial of basic Christianity?