1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

More afraid of Jesus than a whole army

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by rockytopva, Mar 25, 2024.

1. rockytopva

rockytopva Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Valleus says that in Judea he met a man called Jesus of Nazareth, who was one of the most remarkable characters he had ever seen; that he was more afraid of Jesus than of a whole army, for he cured all manner of diseases and raised the dead, and when he cursed the orchards or fruit-trees for their barrenness, they instantly withered to their roots, After referring to the wonderful work of Jesus, he says that, although Jesus had such power, he did not use it to injure any one, but seemed always inclined to help the poor. Valleus says the Jews were divided in their opinion of him., the poorer class claiming him as their king and their deliverer from Roman authority, and that if Jesus should raise an army and give it the power he could sweep the world in a single day; but the rich Jews hated and cursed 'him behind him back, and called him an Egyptian necromancer, though they were as afraid of him as of death. - Valleus Paterculus, B. 72, found in the Vatican at Rome

Historical Court Records Concerning Jesus Christ - Chapter 8

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    interesting… where did you find this site?

3. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm skeptical....

4. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here is the whole thing... You know where he got it, the question is how?... And kyredneck I would be surprised if you weren't skeptical but this is from the other side... It's an interesting read to say the least.. Brother Glen:)

Primitive Baptist Digital Library - Secular History

5. rockytopva

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    YouTube video reccomendation. And I am like... Wow! That looks interesting! On researching the material led me to the Primitive Baptist site.

6. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've been a Prim all my life and very few not of us ever see our site... There is more if your really curious?... Brother Glen:)

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is enough here to provide knowledge (to me at least). I’m now interested in
    Refutation of Dispensationalism
    [​IMG]

By Arthur W. Pink

Some good stuff there :Wink

8. rockytopva

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    When I was a teenager I spent a year with the Freewill Baptist. They used to take me out to eat with the family every Sunday after church and gave me my first KJV Open Bible, in which I cherished. They also use to have communion services on Sunday nights accompanied with a foot washing service.

Jesus saith to him, He that is washed needeth not save to wash his feet, but is clean every whit: and ye are clean, but not all. - John 13:10

I would leave those services with a wonderfully clean spiritual sensation.

9. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well that's a start... Did they have unleavened bread and wine?... Brother Glen:)

10. rockytopva

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I was born on a Marine corp base to a Marine mom and a Navy dad and all my life was one of reinforcing discipline and self-confidence. The Freewill Baptist foot washing / communion service was something I had never did. My flesh fought me all the day until I went to church that night. And then... After the foot washing service... An incredible clean feeling! I was like... Wow! That was a wonderful service! Though they had communion that night I do not remember any of the details. The foot washing service was the event of the day.

• Like Like x 1
  11. rockytopva

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I was more afraid of that foot washing than facing an entire army!

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well you had the right attitude... I ask my Dad one time, the Lord says you ought to wash feet... I said he didn't say you have to wash feet?... Well if the Lord stooped to wash the disciples feet are you any better than the Lord?... All God's children should wash feet... So I do!... Brother Glen:)

John 13:12 So after he had washed their feet, and had taken his garments, and was set down again, he said unto them, Know ye what I have done to you?

13 Ye call me Master and Lord: and ye say well; for so I am.

14 If I then, your Lord and Master, have washed your feet; ye also ought to wash one another's feet.

15 For I have given you an example, that ye should do as I have done to you.

Btw brethren... The Lord set the example, I didn't!

#12 tyndale1946, Mar 29, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. rockytopva

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I heard a preacher try to justify foot washings by referring to clean feet. Well... If I would not have attended that foot washing I would have went along with him. Having been to one... However... I understand the clean as being something spiritual.

14. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have heard others say... Well sure he washed their feet, they wore sandals and their feet got dirty, he was just performing a kind service... Now we wear shoes and we wash our own feet and some wear socks and we don't walk on dirt... So our feet don't get dirty... So we don't need to wash feet and the practice is outdated... IOW... They just don't get it... I've seen one brother wash another ones feet with tears... Sometimes at foot washing there is not a dry eye in the church... I know you understand, you feel it in your heart and soul... They just don't get it... Brother Glen:)

Btw... So those who have never attended a foot washing, so you don't get the wrong idea... Men wash men's feet and Women in a separate area wash Women's feet.

#14 tyndale1946, Mar 30, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
  15. rockytopva

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Here in Virginia I have been to many churches where after the sermon people go up to the front (the call the altar) to pray. The men will pray on the left side and the women on the right. I believe all of this started with the foot washing service. In which... Very few have attended in our time and wouldn't understand. And in the Freewill Baptist church it was the same way. The men and the woman performed the foot washing ritual on different sides of the altar. The men to the left of the pulpit and the women to the right.

Now we don't have scripture for all of that so it is easily refuted, but that is the way it was performed.

16. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's called Christian deportment... If it's mixed, tongues start wagging... Worship should be done decently and in order... Brother Glen:)