1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mourning the Loss of an Image-Bearer

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by jaigner, May 2, 2011.

1. RAdam

RAdam New Member

Here's what I have to say about this: "The wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness; because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them. For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood in the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse: becuase that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were they thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened."

When I see things like this I thank God that Christ died for me in order to save me, not only from the wrath to come, but also from such ungodliness and unrighteousness as this man lived his whole life in. He died to redeem to Himself a peculiar people zealous of good works. As Paul said, "by the grace of God I am what I am." Praise God for Jesus Christ, because it is by His death and His death alone that His people, the many sons He came to bring to glory, have been washed from their sins, declared righteous in the sight of God, and had their conscious purged from dead works to serve the living God. It is a sad thing to me that some are so deceived in what they believe concerning the bible that they mourn for the death of wicked men and ascribe to them the same glorious sacrifice as Christ made for His people.

2. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

Big, big thumbs up.

3. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Bin Laden got exactly what he deserved. He was a murderous pig.

I mourn him like I mourn a wasp or a snake that I killed.

4. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

David ask God to rip out the teeth of his enemies; I don't know that he ever prayed for their salvation.

5. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But those who spurn him are spitting on his sacrifice.

6. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    So what Jesus said in Mat 5:13-14 doesnt mean anything?

I would say that is the difference between the law and grace.

7. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

We need to review anthropology and salvation history, evidently.

8. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

Cool. Let's enjoy it while it lasts.

9. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

A more balanced view is in order; one that does not call us to mourn the death of the wicked, nor take glee in it either:

http://www.desiringgod.org/blog/posts/is-god-glad-osama-bin-ladens-dead

Jaigner is reacting against one extreme (bloodthirstiness) by going to the other extreme (mourning his death with false piety). And he still hasn't answered the question why he mourns the death of Bin Laden while ignoring many, many other people who are truly worth mourning. Just check your local obits - I'm sure you can find someone more worthy than Bin Laden. But then again, mourning for someone like that won't make you look nearly as pious.

10. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

Friend, I'm telling you, it's not false. I mourn over the state of the world. Over killings, assassinations, any sort of death. I am truly sick over some of the things I've been hearing out of professing believers. These are all mournful scenarios.

I'm not trying to look pious, either. Frankly, the majority of folks here think I'm completely out of left field. That's not stopping me.

11. Walguy

Walguy Member

I think once again we must be careful not to confuse feelings of personal vengence with community justice. I'm not glad bin Laden is dead because I personally hated him. I did not. I tried with God's help to forgive him on the personal level, so the anger I felt after 9/11 wouldn't start to consume my own soul. But personal forgiveness doesn't wipe out the need for justice. There needs to be consequences for evil acts in this life, not just in eternity to come. I'm not glad he's dead because he was a sinner. I'm glad he's dead because he was a mass murderer with the blood of thousands on his hands. Death is the only proper justice for the acts he committed, for all the dead bodies he was responsible for. We are all sinners deserving eternal punishment. But we are not all mass murderers deserving to die for the blood we have shed. Osama bin Laden was. I think whooping and hollering over his death would not be a proper Christian response. But feeling a strong sense of satisfaction because justice has finally been served is not wrong at all, IMHO.

12. targus

targus New Member

What's to mourn over his death?

Did anyone here think that he would live forever?

Would we be more at peace if he died blowing himself up as a suicide killer?

Would we be more at peace if he died in his bed at an old age as the same evil vile dirt bag?

I don't get it.

13. Jkdbuck76

Site Supporter

No. Not really. I am fully aware, jaigner.

Christ is the image of God. Not bin-Laden. Not you. Not me.

Why is it we have to think that ALL MANKIND was made in the image of God.
    Adam was. And we all saw how well that worked out at the Garden of Eden.

No. When I think of the image of God, I think of Jesus Christ, and NOT SOME DIRT BAG LIKE OSAMA BIN LADEN. Period.

And good luck to anyone who thinks they will change my mind.

14. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

Wow.

First, we say "humankind" now. Second, we're all made in the image of God. That's orthodox theology. Third, it's God's truth, not yours and mine. Stop holding it with a closed fist.

15. Jkdbuck76

Site Supporter

OK. You're right. How silly of me.

16. FR7 Baptist

FR7 Baptist Active Member

LOL. Jaigner, you're too PC.

17. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

In this case, it's less about PC and more about including everyone in the gospel promise, which is of the utmost importance.

But that's not really what we're talking about.

18. rbell

rbell Active Member

Face it J, you're talking about something different than what you're indicating. You're looking for the moral high ground. You refuse to acknowledge that this person was single-mindedly devoted to killing Americans--including women and children. He was an imminent threat. Killing him was something that any responsible person would have done, if he loved his family.

Be as pious as you want. If you love your family, you would protect them from this vermin. By exterminating Bin Laden, more people have the chance to hear about God. And more people understand the nature of God is not what this reprobate would say it was.

Simply rejoicing that he's in hell? Too far, IMO. We should never rejoice in the damnation of anyone. However, by getting rid of this cancer, we have a better chance for peace--for sharing the Gospel--for loving one another. If you don't see that, then you are deceived beyond help.

#38 rbell, May 3, 2011
    Last edited: May 3, 2011
  19. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    II Peter 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance
    (bold my emphasis)

20. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

Just reminding everyone that the "vermin" was an image-bearer. He did unspeakable things, that's for sure, but he's no more a vermin than any of us might be.

And I haven't said anywhere that I don't think he needed to be put out of commission.

If I were ever in a position where I had to kill to protect my family, I would do it (I am a gun owner). But it would be the most unfortunate and devastating thing I'd ever done. Even if there is a sense of relief, it's a horrible reality that I wouldn't wish on anyone.