1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mr. Sulu Comes Out

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Rachel, Oct 30, 2005.

1. Rachel

Rachel New Member

For all the Trekkies out there that haven't heard.

Mr. Sulu Comes Out
    by Joal Ryan
    Oct 28, 2005, 11:40 AM PT

George Takei has boldly gone where no Star Trek star has gone before: He's come out.

In so many words.

"You know, it's not really coming out," Takei says in the Nov. 22 issue of the Los Angeles-based gay and lesbian magazine Frontiers (www.FrontiersPublishing.com). "It's more like a long, long walk through what began as a narrow corridor that starts to widen."

In the interview, Takei, forever Mr. Sulu of the U.S.S. Enterprise, notes that he has been "open" about his homosexuality for years--to family, and to friends. "But I have not talked to the press," he says. "In that sense, maybe that's another opening of the corridor there."

Frontiers editor Alexander Cho says Takei's camp initiated the interview with a phone call from a close friend who said the Trek icon, at 68, was ready to talk publicly about his private life.

"I think it's very important," Cho says of Takei's disclosure. "We know his influence far beyond Star Trek."

Key to the story, says Cho, who conducted the interview, is that, in the age of the gay marriage debate, Takei offers "positive images of gay couples." The actor has been in a relationship with Brad Altman, heretofore identified as "my manager" on Takei's Website, for 18 years.

When the time came for Takei to do the interview, Cho says, the sci-fi legend was "most definitely comfortable."

In the magazine, Takei likens going public with his sexuality to overcoming the "shame" he felt for having lived in Japanese-American internment camps during World War II.

"I didn't want to talk about being in an internment camp," Takei says. "They would ask me, where was I? I would say I was far away...But I never went into details."

According to Takei, his attitude changed when he learned what normal was.

"The large popular normality is that rigid, constrained normality," Takei says in Frontiers. "But there's another natural normality. And you come to realize, 'This is who I am. And by gum, I'm not going to let it be a constraint!'"

http://www.eonline.com/News/Items/0,1,17675,00.html?fdnews

2. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Everyone ought to keep his/her bedroom activities to himself/herself regardless of what they are doing.

Also, won't affect my enjoyment of Star Trek shows.

3. Rachel

Rachel New Member

Mine either, it's sad though.

4. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

5. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==Great point. I have always wondered why these people think we even care. I know I don't. What this man does in his personal life is between him, the person he is doing it with, and God. I don't want to know about it. These celebrities have egos that won't stop.

Martin

6. Jaaaman

Jaaaman New Member

Well, I would have to agree with one point here... he is taking the wide and broad corridor that leadeth to destruction. :rolleyes:

7. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Suposse a TV actor came out and admitted they were a child molester. Would you still enjoy that show?

As far as Mr. Takei, we could always put him on our prayer forum.

Salty

8. Gershom

Gershom Active Member

Beam me up, Scotty.

9. Brother Ian

Brother Ian Active Member

Its sad though.