1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

music

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by steveo, Dec 23, 2003.

1. steveo

steveo New Member

I was wondering how many of you would let any person come and sing a praise song or play an instrument at your church?
    What guidelines do you have?
    Like being a member,saved,etc...

2. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Any?

Usually our music minister brings in some from the outside, but he audits them. Evaluates them. Whatever.

3. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

A person need not be a member, but because I consider all music specials to be "leading in worship," a person must be saved to stand in front of the congregation in that manner. As to the style of music, I ask that a person considers the congregation and present something that will help them to worship - because it's not supposed to be a "performance." In my church, that may be a old-time gospel hymn, newer music, piano, etc.

We haven't had anyone "praise Him with the timbrel and dance" in our church yet though!

4. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Our church in the last year made a restriction on people allowed to come in and lead in worship. Although the liberals [​IMG] in the church think that "we Baptists" are legalizing the church.

In a nutshell …

Special Music = Member of the church or along with a member of the church. Accompanists must dress appropriately and generally a member/attendee of another church (never had to turn anyone down for this)

Offertory = Member of the Church, or special invite by the congregation, pastor, or music director.

Concerts = Invited by the pastor approved by the music director on short notice or the congregation in advance.

We had several problems of people just coming in to "help" us in worship, walking right up to musical instruments and playing them before and after services, trying to become leaders without joining the church etc., basically we had folks stirring up members of the congregation, even had some leave over it, and several heated "discussions"

To protect your church, pastor and music director your church should develop a music policy and that way you have guidelines established and the pastor etc can lean on that when forced to make a tough or quick decision.

Not that I have given it much thought ;)

-- Jeremiah

5. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    To play an instrument, special music, song lead, or such (workers, ss, etc), they must be a member in good standing.

On occasion a "regular attender" (about 1/2 of the church are non-members because of our strong doctrinal statement they must sign) can sing in the choir or serve in a lesser capacity in the church (hostess, vbs help).

Part of "membership" is agreement with standards and doctrine and submission to the group (for discipline, etc). You cannot control non-members.

6. j_barner2000

j_barner2000 Member

our church has a format that brings in guests on just about every Saturday night service. Senior pastor interviews them to be assured that they are of like faith. 80% of our members came for the Sat night music service and were attracted by the sermons. It works for us. Each church needs to determine how they will reach out to the community. Our music on Saturday nights seems to be our best drawing tool. Of course, our pastor preaches and the "entertainment factor" is secondary as far as the ministry standpoint goes. It is a hook to get folks in.

7. steveo

steveo New Member

Thanks for the replys.
    We had a situation were we had someone who has been attending church services for months but never joined the church, ask to sing.
    The person did tell me they were saved many years ago. I knew the music and I didn't want to discourage them so we let them sing.
    This is my first pastorate and I have been at our church since March, so I am learning as I go.
    I know the bible was clear on qualifications for teachers, deacons and pastors, but wasn't sure what to do in this situation.
    One verse came to mind. Ps 150:6 Let everything that hath breath praise the Lord.

8. nu thang

nu thang New Member

" . . why non members cannot be controlled, If they are true christians, are they not ultimatley of the same body you belong to?"

[ December 30, 2003, 11:15 AM: Message edited by: Dr. Bob Griffin ]

9. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    nu thang - This is a forum for "Baptist Only". As this is a Baptist Board, we do allow non-baptists to post in about 1/2 of the Forums (for All Christians); this is not one of them.

I am not erasing your post - you ask a very reasonable question. Think of my local assembly (church) as a "family". IF one of my children acts up or doesn't abide by the standards of my family, I can discipline them and control them.

If a neighbor kid does the same, do I have the authority to discipline and control them? No. And I'll probably get sued by HIS parents if I try!!

Same with a church. There has to be rules and regs to do things "decently and in order". Hence we have membership (so we KNOW who is part of our group, who votes, who leads, what doctrine they believe, etc).

If you desire to communicate more on this subject, go to a non-baptist forum here on the BB and start a topic there, okay?

Dr. Bob