1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Music

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by HAMel, May 18, 2011.

1. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

Sounds like just the old hymns to me but I apolize for the mis-quote.

2. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you had at least tried to quote me, I guess that would have been one thing, but you just flat out made a false claim about what I said. Fortunately, I'm used to it from you guys.

3. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amazing Grace stole a tune from a familiar dance. Of course, to try to "make it spiritual", they slowed down the dance and still today Amazing Grace draaaaaags on and on.

Have fun humming the tune at normal waltz time and it is beautiful.

Principle: The tune does nothing to make a song "spiritual" or "carnal".

4. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

So what did you mean by hymns?

5. michael-acts17:11

Site Supporter

Gotta love how quiet it gets when you ask for a definition of terms.:smilewinkgrin:

6. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I had revwmc on my ignore list and only took him off long enough to answer him as a courtesy. When he blatantly and deliberately misrepresented what I said in post 78, I put him back on my ignore list. If he wants to know what a hymn is, then let him get a dictionary.

7. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

I think most of know what a hymn is but of course let's go to Webster for the answer, n. 1. An ode or song of praise or adoration; especially, a religious ode, a sacred lyric; a song of praise or thanksgiving intended to be used in religious service; as, the Homeric hymns; Watts' hymns.
    That would fit almost any song on would sing in a church as long as it praised the Lord. But you said "So let me get this straight: we shouldn't stick to hymns because the kids won't be able to relate, but you think they'll relate to House of the Rising Sun???" But the definition of hymn fits their music as well as ours, so again what did you mean by hymns?

8. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    JohnDeereFan, with all due respect you sure do come across as a grouch. As I said, with all due respect and no harm intended, but it really seems to me that way.

I know..., I know..., this is me. :tonofbricks:

9. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

#89 JohnDeereFan, May 25, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2011
  10. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

Now it is clique, well if we are going to reach all people for the Lord and sing hymns in our worship I'm for it.

11. rbell

rbell Active Member

A couple of thoughts:

-There's a huge difference between saying, "I don't like (whatever)," and "(Whatever)'s not of God."

We should take great caution before making the latter statement. Some folks throw it out quite flippantly. Jesus frowned upon folks deciding something wasn't of God when, in fact, it was.

I also don't get the folks lining up the soldiers along generational lines to fight the worship wars. Our church has different likes, and dislikes. But we teach the younger to appreciate the richness of time-tested music that honors God...and we teach the older that God is indeed speaking through the younger generations of musicians and lyricists.

Finally, we teach everyone that worship is so much more than music...and that giving in to the temptation to fight the worship wars does little to advance the Kingdom...and much to mess up the spread of the Gospel.

12. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  13. nodak

nodak Active Member
    Site Supporter

Actually, the worship wars do NOT and really have NEVER lined up along generation lines or by age.

We have younger folks and older folks who prefer hymns and older gospel songs.

We have younger folks and older folks who prefer contemporary.

So whenever anyone says we must do contemporary to reach the younger folks, they are sadly mistaken. Same if they refer to those preferring hymns as being dinosaurs.

That said, our church does much contemporary music. It is carefully chosen just as the older music is. It works quite well.

What we don't do is the zone out type pentecostal worship.

14. michael-acts17:11

Site Supporter

(Eph 5:19) Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord;

God is clearly not a hymns-only God. Whatever you consider a hymn to be.