1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Musical Instruments in Christ's church

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by defenderofthefaith, Dec 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Toppass

John Toppass Active Member
    Site Supporter

Worshipping and giving glory to God is a wonderful spiritual happening, whether or not musical instruments are used. IMO, saying that musical instruments can not be used in a church worship service is like saying prayer can not be said unless you are in the church building.
    Those who limit themselves as to how and when they can worship God, help Satan with his plans to keep the lost from hearing and understanding the WORD.

2. BTM

BTM New Member

It is a fact that since the first introduction of instruments in worship they have been a cause of division.
    According to most historical sources, the first organ was intoduced into the worship by Pope Vitalian I around 670 AD. It was removed to preserve the unity of the church, but 130 years or so later, it was reintroduced with less resistance. The Greek Catholic Church refused it as they do to this day, thus the Greek Orthodox Church. The instrument = division. (Any corrections as to the history of these events is welcomed.)[/quote]

Adam Clarke (well known Methodist commentator) said,

I only bring up these quotes from the past to illustrate that the stance we in faithful churches of Christ take on instrumental music is the same as that held by most denominational bodies only a few generations ago. It is the denominational world that has changed its' position. The groups that most of you are a part of, Baptist, Methodist, Presbyterian, whatever.
    Yet we in the church of Christ are seen as the weirdos because we still reject the instrument. If anything we're trying to get you all back to your roots.

#62 BTM, Dec 24, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 24, 2008
  3. BTM

BTM New Member

Neither Defender nor I reject the Old Testament. Those things written aforetime were written for our learning (Rom 15:4). There is much profit in the study of the OT. However, to look to a Covenant that is no longer in effect for authority in how to worship God is ridiculous.

We can no more get authority for musical instruments in the OT than we can for having a Levitical priesthood.

We're not mad at you if you use the instrument, we just believe it's wrong.

4. rbell

rbell Active Member

Why would God change the rules of instrumental worship?

No longer using the levitical priesthood--that is a central tenet of Christ's work. To compare that with your assertion that musical instruments are evil--that's, in your words, ridiculous.

5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Amen. In all I do, I seek to honor the Lord and even worship Him with all of my being. I've posted this before but I will worship the Lord with all of my heart - in church and out of church, with music and without music, with words and without words. But it is sincere worship that I give to my God.

6. thegospelgeek

thegospelgeek New Member

It's actually pretty simple. The New Testament neither condones nor forbids the use of musical instruments in the worship service. Why would that be? If it is as big an issue as some make it out, wouldn't God have addressed it? I mean the NT instucts us in many areas such as idolatry, pride, fornication, etc.

I guess God just kinda forgot to tell us about this one.

Worship in spirit and truth.

I feel most of us do very little worship, we sing songs, play instuments, and mouth words that we pay little attention to due to the familiarity. I do know I have been in the presence of God, both in Church where there were no instuments being played and other where music was played. God din't seem to mind,

In our denominations it has become popular to consider projectors as sinful, I have no idea where this stuff comes from. CoC saying no music, water baptise. SDA saying worhip must be on Saturday. Doesn't anyone get it:BangHead: :BangHead:

7. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

[FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]That doesn't make them wrong. The Corinthian church had many things that divided them. The Lord's Table itself was a source of division. Did they do away with the Lord's Table? Should we? That is your logic. Right the wrong, Don't throw out the right. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]We go by the Bible. It is our only source of authority. Your source of authority here is history. Therefore we can discount it. When the automobile was first introduced as a mode of transportation, as opposed to horses, and horse-carriages, it was opposed. It was a source of division. Therefore, according to your logic, we should all give up our cars and go back to riding horses as our mode of transportation, just because it was a source of division. Being a source of contention or division is not a valid reason for something to be refused or given up. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]And I also can give you a dozen more quotes. I think you know that.
    But realize that both history and the majority are not always right.
    Scholars have gone through stages where, like mindless people they just assumed each other was right. For a while all of them were amillennial. And then the fad was post-millennial. Now most people think for themselves and can see that not only premillennialism fits the Biblical eschatology better, but so does a pre-tribulational rapture. That is just one example.
    Were the Crusades right? The majority of Catholics at that time thought so. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Again, the majority is not always right.
    History does not always reveal the truth.
    The Bible must be our guide in all matters of faith and doctrine. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Many of those people, copying one another, were wrong.
    We believe you are wrong. You are erring from the Scriptures.
    Where the Scriptures are silent; you must be silent, and must not impose your convictions on others. It is an area of soul liberty. If you choose to worship in that way it is your decision. But the Bible does not forbid instruments. In that you fail to demonstrate from the Scriptures. The NT is silent on the matter. You cannot make an argument from silence. It is a matter of soul liberty.[/FONT]

8. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And that, sir, is your error. There was nothing "covenantal" about the use of music, or dancing for that matter.

If I were to infer from your statement that all of the Old Testament was "covenant," then I would have to infer that the wars God ordered were part of the covenant. Is this what you believe?

If I were to infer from your statement that all of the Old Testament was "covenant," then I would have to infer that when the old man of God (in Kings) sent the young man of God astray, this was part of the covenant. Is that what you believe?

I could go on and on. Instead, I ask if you're rightly dividing the Word in determining what is covenant, and what is not.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding you; are you saying there is a set way to worship God, in a worship service? If so, where is that outlined in either the Old or New Testaments? (I've read the previous posts; but I'm not seeing the set of rules that say how we should meet, where, what time, whether there should be an opening prayer, closing prayer, whether the congregation is involved or if only the pastor says anything during the service, etc.)

9. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

Instrumental music, or singing with instruments, is clearly perfectly acceptable in a christian assembly. The scriptures are so very very clear that they are acceptable.

PRAISE GOD :thumbs: for all those guitar players and horn players, and keyboardists, and flute players, etc etc etc!

:godisgood:

10. defenderofthefaith

defenderofthefaith New Member

You say that "only a few NT documents were being circulated" but we must understand that the apostles and those that were with the apostles were very much on the move teaching and preaching - the OT was not needed for instruction, they had the inspired apostles.

Also look at Galatians 3:1-5
    "O foolish Galatians! Who has bewitched you? It was before your eyes that Jesus Christ was publicly portrayed as crucified. Let me ask you only this: Did you receive the Spirit by works of the law or by hearing with faith? Are you so foolish? Having begun by the Spirit, are you now being perfected by the flesh? Did you suffer so many things in vain—if indeed it was in vain? Does he who supplies the Spirit to you and works miracles among you do so by works of the law, or by hearing with faith"

As we can see here in the letter to Galatia, Paul was all about hearing of the faith - not the law and its works (such as using musical instruments was a work under the law)

Galatians 4:15-16
    We ourselves are Jews by birth and not Gentile sinners;
    yet we know that a person is not justified by works of the law but through faith in Jesus Christ, so we also have believed in Christ Jesus, in order to be justified by faith in Christ and not by works of the law, because by works of the law no one will be justified.

Then let us look at how the OT has been taken away and the NT has been established!

Hebrews 10:9
    "Then said he, Lo, I come to do thy will, O God. He taketh away the first, that he may establish the second."

He [Jesus] took away the first [Covenant] that he may establish the second [Covenant] and now we no longer listen to the OT but learn through God's Son; Christ (Hebrews 1:1,2)

Galatians 5:1-6
    "For freedom Christ has set us free; stand firm therefore, and do not submit again to a yoke of slavery.
    Look: I, Paul, say to you that if you accept circumcision, Christ will be of no advantage to you. I testify again to every man who accepts circumcision that he is obligated to keep the whole law.
    You are severed from Christ, you who would be justified by the law; you have fallen away from grace.
    For through the Spirit, by faith, we ourselves eagerly wait for the hope of righteousness.
    For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision counts for anything, but only faith working through love."

Here we see that Paul is saying that if you want to keept part of the law (in this case circumcision) then "he is obligated to keep the whole law".
    So if you want to keep the part of the law concerning the use of musical instruments; then you are obligated to keep the whole law (i.e. burning incense; going to Jerusalem; animal sacrifices)

I can understand what you mean, but I must also say that his skill on the harp was not why he was able to cast the demon out of Saul. It was because the the Lord was with David (1 Samuel 16:13; 18) and it was the power of the Lord that cast the demon out - not necessarily his playing of the harp.
    Again, I can understand what you mean, but it was by the will of the Lord that his playing of the harp made Saul well (1 Samuel 16:23) and in the New Testament God has nowhere willed us to use musical instruments in worship to him.

11. defenderofthefaith

2 Timothy 2:16-17
    "All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness,
    that the man of God may be competent, equipped for every good work."

Yes all scripture is profitable for teaching, reproof, correction, and for training in reighteousness!
    But where does this say (or even hint) that we follow the OT way of worship! If you want to worship as they did in the OT then please - start sacrficing animals because Paul said that if you want to keep part of the law then you are obligated to keep it all (Gal. 5:1-6)

David used musical instruments because that was the will of God - nowhere do we see in the NT that using musical instruments in worship is the will of God.

12. Darron Steele

Darron Steele New Member

An assertion that has yet to be proven.

The Law was enclosed in the books of Moses: Genesis to Deuteronomy.

Psalm 150 is not in there.

The notion that Scripture prohibits use of musical instruments is ridiculous. I rarely say that about any church group's precepts, but it is fitting here.

If the issue was not a primary motive for a schism in the Restoration over 100 years ago, no one would believe that notion. The reason anyone accepts these arguments is group loyalty -- the desire to believe that the group did not make a mistake in the schism.

No one outside your group is going to accept these arguments. You would not accept them yourselves if not for `our group can do no wrong' devotion to your group.

#72 Darron Steele, Dec 24, 2008
  13. Darron Steele

Darron Steele New Member

Nowhere in the New Testament do we see a ban against musical instruments in worship being in the will of God.

Nowhere do we see in the New Testament that God wants mortals to add a ban against what God time and again showed approval of in BOTH Testaments.

The burden of proof is against those who would presume to add a ban against what God time and again showed approval of in BOTH Testaments.

14. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

True, the Lord was with David.
    I believe He is also with many of God's people who use their musical talents for the Lord in glorifying Him. It His will that we waste not the talents that He gives us; that we bury them not, for in the day that He comes we shall surely give account for that which he has given us. To bury one's talent (even a musical talent) would be sin IMO.
    Here are some principles from the Bible:

Ecclesiastes 9:10 Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might;

Colossians 3:23 And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men;

1 Corinthians 10:31 Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God.

These are principles that can apply not only to musicians but to every area of our lives.

Now, it would be your obligation to present a defense from Scripture where there is a prohibition against the use of instruments in NT worship. But you cannot. Your argument would be from silence. An argument from silence is no argument at all. Therefore it remains a choice--a matter of soul liberty.

15. defenderofthefaith

You provide examples like "how we should meet, where, what time, whethere there should be an opening prayer, closing prayer, whether the congregation is involved or if only the pastor says anything during the service"

First we must understand there are two different types of commands found in the NT (and I guess, in everyday life!) they are specific and generic. For instance: "Make thee an ark of gopher wood" (Gen. 6:14) is a specific command. God specified the type of wood and that was the end of the matter concerning the ark's type of wood. God didn't say "thou shalt use no other kind of wood"; but the very fact that God limited the wood to gopher wood forbade the use of any other kind of wood. It would be totally different if God said "Make thee an ark of wood" (generic command) Noah could of used any type of wood he liked.
    So if the New Testament said "Make music" (generic command) we could have complied with the requirement by making either vocal or instrumental music. But God did not say that. He said "sing psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs" and this specific command is to sing and what to sing.
    So, hopefully we understand the difference between generic commands and specific commands.

Now lets break your examples down.
    1)how we should meet, where, what time....
    All we were told was that we should gather together and worship God and we have the example of meeting on the first day of the week (1 Corinthians 16:2; Acts 20:7). The command to gather together is a generic command. The time and place were not speicified therefore they are irrelevant. But the day was specified in examples.

2) opening prayer, closing prayer,
    We were told to pray. Generic command. We also have an example of how to pray (Matthew 6:9-13)

3) whether the congregation is involved, only the pastor speaks during the
    service

The congregation is involved as we see we are suppose to teach and admonish one another (Colossians 3:16)

16. Darron Steele

Darron Steele New Member

No you are not misunderstanding him.

To most people in the Churches of Christ, the few hours per week that they assemble are the very essence of their Christian walks. In radical portions, it goes even farther than that: it is what makes them Christians.

It goes back to what I said in my first post on this thread:
    They assume that because the few hours per week they assemble is of top importance to them, it was to God as well. They expect that God gave them a detailed blueprint of how congregations are to conduct their meetings -- all they have to do is glean for it. After they think they get it gleaned out, they believe it is of utmost importance to be sure nothing therein is omitted and nothing else is included.

When pressed for details as to what exactly that pattern is, they usually refuse to give them. I have never seen anyone give them. Why? First of all, it would cause yet more division among their groups, because to them disagreement is just cause for division. Second, they themselves do not know -- they just `know' that what any outside group does which differs from their practices is `wrong.'

The reality is that God in His written Word paid scant attention to the proceedings of congregation meetings. There is not enough detail in Scripture to be able to reconstruct without human conjecture even one meeting of one congregation from start to finish.

To get around that, they talk about "expedients" where they believe they have permission to fill in where detail is lacking. Now, if any outside group does the exact same thing, it is condemned as an "addition" even though it is the exact same thing. They do not admit this to themselves, but the real and only difference is who is doing it.

#76 Darron Steele, Dec 24, 2008
  17. defenderofthefaith

King David, the writer of the Psalms, was under the law therefore his works were under the law.

Nowhere in the New Testament do we see a ban against cake and ice cream to replace the Lord's supper.

Nowhere in the New Testament do we see a ban against praying to Abraham.

Nowhere in the New Testament do we see a ban against human entertainment to invade a worship directed only to God.

Nowhere in the New Testament do we see musical instruments in worship to be the will of God.

Really? He showed approval for musical instruments in the New Testament? Please, lead me to this passage everyone seems to have overlooked and we can finish this argument.

God wants our lives and our actions all to be filled with seeking his approval, but from the beginning of time God has always been very specific on worship to him and as the OT examples show - any change in his commands on how to worship have caused condemnation on those causing the change.

The problem is, we could come up with the most rediculous ideas and then say "now its your obligation to present a defense from Scripture where there is a prohibition against this idea" and the only thing you could say is: "well nowhere does it prohibit that; but that doesn't make it right!"

Silence of the scriptures on a matter allows no room for choice.

18. rbell

rbell Active Member

Come now, no sense in insulting our intelligence. And you use the "rediculous" to illustrate a non-point. Nice try, though.

(but, regarding communion...are you sure you do it JUST like Jesus did? Careful, now...)

Wait...now we get to use the OT as an example? You can't have your cake...er, bread and cup...and eat it, too...make up your mind.

19. defenderofthefaith

The funny thing is....worship to God is a large part of every Christian's walk.

Through commands and examples we understand what God wants in our worship to him and we strive to please God and not add anything to it for as humans we do not have the authority or understanding to know whether musical instruments (or any extra thing) will please God or not.

It doesn't need to be a full congragational meeting for it to be worship to God; for Jesus said "for where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them." (Matthew 18:20)

See my earlier post concerning generic and specific commands.

20. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Any change?
    Then give up your church buildings. That is a change. Take off your shoes. That is a change. In eastern countries they still take off their shoes before entering into their churches because they believe that they are entering a "sacred place," even as Moses met with God at the burning bush. So you don't follow the Bible after all do you?
    You meet in a building exclusively built for assembling the church--not Biblical.
    You don't take off your shoes--like the saints of old.
    You drive in cars rather than by donkeys or on foot.
    You use a computer to email, instead of sending everything by snail mail.
    Even todays snail mail is much faster than in Paul's day.
    You don't have the authority for any of the above.
    Yes, see my answer above. You cannot make an answer from silence.
    You cannot make a prohibition against cars from Scripture, and therefore you use one. But you don't use instruments, and thus are hypocritical in your use of cars driving to your church building for worship. Both the car and the church building are used either directly or indirectly in worship. But you have no command in Scripture to use them--only your rationalization. You play the part of a hypocrite--pick and choose what you will obey--through the silence of Scriptures.
    It leaves lots of room.
    Arguing from silence means you can make the Bible say anything you want. And that is exactly what you do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.