1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

My thoughts on salvation

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by mets65, Jan 22, 2011.

1. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

How humbling is that passage? God is good!

2. Baptist4life

Baptist4life Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So one has to be a robot in order to be saved. Some robots ordained from the foundation of the earth for everlasting punishment, and some robots ordained from the foundation of the earth for everlasting life. and later programmed to believe and repent and be faithful.

Yeah, that's the ticket.

3. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ohhhh, the old robot argument....when in doubt lets cop that sorry old worn out argument.......thats right R2D2

4. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Im gone, Good Night!

5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

If you say so. :D

Instead I see that God has a purpose and we are allowed to be a part of that purpose. I find that quite humbling.

6. mets65

mets65 New Member

Honestly the difference between me and you is the choice and election thing. We both agree that God knows in advance. We both believe in salvation. This difference in doctrine doesn't jeopardize mine or your salvation.

7. Baptist4life

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then explain to me why my post is wrong. According to you, some people are born destined for Hell, and some people are born destined for Heaven. Those people really don't have much of a choice. God has already ordained it. Sounds pretty robotic to me.

8. mets65

mets65 New Member

What if someone predestined for hell decides he wants to follow Christ?

9. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

It would be robotic if man did nothing. However, we DO respond to God. But we will respond in the way that is our nature. That's natural. ALL men and women are destined to hell when born but there is a point where some hearts are softened towards God and then man can respond to God. That's at least what I see through Scripture.

10. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Very true mets. The ONLY thing that this difference in belief could make is either one taking full responsibility for getting souls saved (as some pastors do - who brag "We saved 70 souls this weekend!") or else deciding that since it's all God, we don't have to do anything ("Oh God's going to save who He will save. I don't have to do anything and can just go on with my own life.") But for those of us who are not at the fringes, we just go about the work of God and leave the results to Him. :)

11. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

No one who is destined to hell will want to follow Christ unless God changes their nature. So it's kind of like saying "What if a lion wants to swim across the Pacific Ocean?" Just doesn't happen.

12. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Hello, my name is R2D2. I am a robot. I know about the humans' God, and I have heard the story of Jesus. I have assimilated the data regarding his death and resurrection for those humans called sinners I cannot compute it.

Wait, something is happening to me. My computer brain is yielding different data. It is reading out a conclusion that I am a sinner just like those humans. Some unseen force is messing with me. It has taken over my computer brain, and is calculating that the story, the resurrection story is valid.

Oh no! It's true! But I don't want it to be true. I don't want to believe it is true. I don't want to repent! I don't want to trust his Jesus to rescue me. Arrrgh, he's making me believe. He's forcing me to repent.

Oh, no, he's just saved me. Against my will. He rearranged my programming. I didn't want to, but I had no choice. I am really ticked off.

Now, I know that this story will be picked apart. That's okay, I'm just having a little fun. I'm just trying to carry the old robot argument to its logical conclusion.

I'm waiting for somebody to give that testimony. I didn't want to be saved, but God made me do it. I still don't want to be saved, but that pesky God forced me. I just hate him for doing that.

Still waiting for that testimony.

13. Thousand Hills

Thousand Hills Active Member

Okay, I don't know wether or not I should jump in. I don't have this all figured out myself. But from either viewpoint some will die and go to hell, some will not. That is the reality. If God designed it that some would not have a choice, as you say (even though everyone deserves death because of our sins), does that make him any less than what he is. If we know that he has saved us shouldn't we be thankful for that. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter what I or anybody else thinks is "fair", we're playing by his rules not ours. Kind of like in the story of Job, where God asks him where he was when he laid earths foundation? I honestly don't know why he saved me, I don't deserve it, but he did. To me that gives real meaning to the word grace.:godisgood:

14. Baptist4life

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If belief is irresistible for the sovereignly-elect, and impossible for the sovereignly-ignored, then the robot analogy applies; man has no choice, just like a robot.

15. mets65

mets65 New Member

I just have a hard time with the concept that God would predestin anyone to hell.

16. Baptist4life

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As do I, it's ridiculous, and where was that belief before Calvin came along?

17. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Because there is has never been anyone saved who didn't want to bow their knee at the glory and grace of Jesus Christ once they really saw His goodness.

18. Thousand Hills

Thousand Hills Active Member

1 Corinthians 3:7 (King James Version)

So then neither is he that planteth any thing, neither he that watereth; but God that giveth the increase.

:godisgood:

19. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Well, there is no predestining anyone to hell. That's where they are going by choice from the beginning. It's that God predestines some to heaven.

20. Baptist4life

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is this what your church preaches?