1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

My thoughts on salvation

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by mets65, Jan 22, 2011.

1. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Well, we've never had a sermon on predestination if that's what you mean.

But hubby is my pastor and it's what he believes as well.

2. Baptist4life

Baptist4life Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, as a pastor I believe he should let his congregation know that he's a Calvinist. I wonder how many of your congregation would leave? I know I would.

I'm sorry if that sounds "cold", but if people don't know exactly what their pastor truly believes, then I think he's being deceptive. I know my church is very thorough in finding out what a new prospective pastor believes. We're an IFB church, and definitely NOT Calvinist. There are people who have openly discussed this in adult SS classes, and it is completely ridiculous to our congregation.

As I said somewhere before, I've been in Baptist churches since I was 3 years old, been saved since age 11, and have NEVER heard of a Calvinist Baptist. I must have been living in a shell I guess.

#62 Baptist4life, Jan 23, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2011
  3. Thousand Hills

Thousand Hills Active Member

The Bible is pretty clear that by one man sin entered the world - Adam, and by one man forgiveness - Jesus Christ. So in our natural state none of us have a choice because we are all of Adam.

4. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Honestly, anyone who would leave because my husband is a Calvinist is welcome to leave. It's what all of our pastors at our church believe as far as I know. Honestly, it's been discussed within the context of sermons as we go systematically through the Scriptures. So I'd say pretty much anyone who attends our church understands where we stand. For those who don't, it's just because they either haven't been there long enough or they know what the Bible says and they don't realize that there is even an issue with thinking otherwise. I've never heard of it being an issue for anyone. It's sad that it WOULD be an issue for anyone.

5. John Toppass

John Toppass Active Member
    Site Supporter

I always thought the church was the property of God. I do not see the Christian theme in "Thats what the pastor believes if you have a problem with that then you are welcome to leave." I would rather think a Christian church would be of the theme. "Let us look in the scripture and pray together on this."

6. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    LOL! Your entire post is priceless Tom.Thanks.

...Still waiting for that testimony.

7. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Gotteshalt

Well aside from the Bible passages I assigned you to read?

Augustine,Gotteshalk,Bradwardine,Wycliffe...shall I go on?

8. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Absolutely my testimony. I struggled for 20 years or more to avoid becoming a Christian. Praise God for Irresistible Grace!

Francis Thompson had the same experience.
    http://www.poemhunter.com/poem/the-hound-of-heaven/

Steve

9. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

Maybe this is another one of those differences between the situation in the USA and that here in the UK, but here the situation where a church appoints a pastor without knowing his theological standpoint, or a pastor accepts a call to a church when he doesn't agree with that church's statement of faith, is unusual in the extreme.

I fully agree with that part of your post where you say that prospective pastors should be open about their beliefs, but I am just wondering why you seem to have assumed that Ann's "hubby" has a church that doesn't already know of his reformed/Calvinist/Doctrines of Grace beliefs. You may not have meant it like this, but it seemed to me that you were treating such beliefs as if they were some kind of notifiable disease.

Some Baptist churches have calvinistic statements of faith. For example, there's the Metropolitan Tabernacle in London (where Spurgeon was pastor), Trinity Baptist Church, Montville, New Jersey (Pastor was, and maybe still is, Al Martin), and many others. Like you, I have never heard of a Calvinist Baptist, if by that you mean a church that calls itself something such as "Anytown Calvinist Baptist Church". But there are plenty that have "Reformed Baptist" or, like my church, "Grace Baptist" in their church name, and those that do are 99% certain to have a calvinistic statement of faith. You can find a directory of such church, by no means complete, to judge by the comparitively few listed in England, at: http://www.reformedreader.org/rbchurches.htm Such churches would expect their pastor to be a Calvinist.

10. mets65

mets65 New Member

So you're saying there is a choice in there?

11. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then your a universalist. Personally I think thats natural. most people are kind hearted that way. However some people go to Hell.....& all truly deserve it thru the sin of Adam. So, if God in His unbelievable mercy had not chosen some, then heaven would have none.

12. mets65

mets65 New Member

So how does he choose?

13. mets65

mets65 New Member

I'm just trying to wrap my mind around the concept of calvinism. Maybe I'm not smart enough to do so. But please understand through my debating I am learning, not necessarily accepting, but learning.

14. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

By ways only God knows. The better question is, "Do we trust God to make the best (and only) choice? Or, do we think that we could do a better job than God?

Is it not rebellion, the same sin that we're born with, to think that God is not capable of making a choice of this nature?

15. mets65

mets65 New Member

Of course it would be rebellion, only of course if I believed that God didn't leave it up to us. If we aren't righteous enough to choose him how then can we be righteous enough to follow him? Isn't God capable of creating us with the ability to choose him under our free will?

16. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ah, einie, menie, myney, mo......:wavey:

17. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My question to you is why wouldnt you allow god to choose?

18. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The Calvinist system of theology can not be inclusive of a free will. The only man, according to Calvinsim, to have a true free will was Adam. As decendents of Adam our will is tainted to such an extent that it is impossible for it to be expressed freely. Since Calvin dispenses with freedom of will so does he dispense with freedom of Choice. There is no choice on the part of the elect. God elects them and thus it is done. The elected person will then go on to do works of righteousness because they can not because they've made some sort of effort to do so. The decision of election and promotion of righteousness only happens from God. And in a sense God's soverniegnty supersedes human will and choice thus just as the non elect are automatons of evil and sin so are the elect automatons for righteousness.

19. stilllearning

stilllearning Active Member

There you go, with that question again.
    You must have missed my post earlier.

Here is the answer, again.........
    It is true, that only the elect, will get saved.
    And it is true, that God only elected certain people.

But what Calvinists reject, is that fact that God saw the future of every single individual that will ever be born and “He saw” deep into their heart and was able to determine, every individual that was truly going to trust Christ and get saved and he elected those individuals........
    Romans 8:29
    “For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate [to be] conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.”

and

1 Peter 1:2
    “Elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through sanctification of the Spirit, unto obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ: Grace unto you, and peace, be multiplied.”

--------------------------------------------------
    Election, is not unconditional.

20. mets65

mets65 New Member

I know for a fact I'm saved, I know for a fact those of you that are calvinists are saved. Would you say because I don't accept calvinism I'm unrighteous? If this is irresistable why do I have no convictions about it?