1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Name that Quote

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Dustin, Jan 15, 2007.

1. Dustin

Dustin New Member

Time to play Name that Quote!

I'm going to post this quote, try and guess where it is from, and who stated it. No prizes, just the joy of knowing who said it. No Google searches please, that's cheating. Take a stab and after a few guesses I'll let you know who got it.

Here it is:“If any one shall affirm, that man’s freewill, moved and excited by God, does not, by consenting, cooperate with God, the mover and exciter, so as to prepare and dispose itself for the attainment of justification; if moreover, anyone shall say, that the human will cannot refuse complying, if it pleases, but that it is inactive, and merely passive; let such an one be accursed.”

Ok, remember, no Google searches, just take your best shot off the top of your head.

#1 Dustin, Jan 15, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2007
  2. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That was one of many anathamas directed against Bible belivers by the Roman Catholic Council of Trent .

3. christianyouth

christianyouth New Member

"Praying will cease a man from sinning,
    and sinning will cease a man from praying."

hint - A puritan.

4. Dustin

Dustin New Member

My first thought was Johnathan Edwards, but he wasn't a puritan technically. Uhhh, that's a hard one.

Edit: I made my guess, then I Googled, the answer was someone I thought of, and now it's pretty obvious after the fact. Good one. :thumbsup:

#4 Dustin, Jan 15, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2007
  5. Dustin

Dustin New Member

Rippon, you're right, it's justification according to the Roman Catholic Church.