1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Narnia...more to chew on.

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Boanerges, Feb 6, 2006.

1. shannonL

shannonL New Member

Ransom,

You answered my question. Right on the money.
    I believe it was a fairy tale with broad christian themes. It is evangelicals who try to turn it into a allegory.

It wasn't Lewis's intent to use it for an evangelistic tool. That is mainstream evangelical's idea.

It is like the latest flick out now. End of the Spear. That movie is about missionaries etc... Yet the Gospel is non existant in the thing and still evangelicals want to make out like it is so wonderful. I'm not for that movie or against it.
    I'm just saying evangelicals today are so quick to want to christinize everything no matter how vaguely or shaded a reference to the Gospel might be.

Rbell,
    Your right there is no logical connection in the above posts of mine I was rambling.

Again I saw the movie. I liked the movie. My kids liked the movie. I was simply wanting to stand up for some folk who may see some troubling things between the lines that others might not want to recognize or just don't want to. Those folk don't need to crucified or run off the board just because they are blindly in step with everything that comes down the pipe of evangelical entertainment. There are those believers that have been saved from occultic backgrouds etc.. whose spiritual antennas tend to pick up on things that others might miss. Those folk should have a seat at the table just like everybody else even if at times they may go overboard. Every single person who is aware of such things and brings them to the forefront are not always backwoods, biblebelt legalists.

2. shannonL

shannonL New Member

correction - they are NOT blindly instead of they are blindly.

Not implying that everyone who likes this sort of fiction is blind please understand that.

3. shannonL

shannonL New Member

Also,

I am a man not a woman. I was simply given a Irish, girlie name at birth. What can I say?

4. Boanerges

Boanerges New Member

If this was just another secular movie, I would care less, but since the church jumped on it like much of the other worldly stuff that is promoted as pseudo Christian, then I must comment. Instead of the Pastors discussing this with their congregations, so that they wont be misled spiritually, the "shepherds" invite hollywood and the the world into their assemblies, and even send their people to see it, and use it as a witnessing tool for the lost. If it is not the Jesus and the Gospel of the Scriptures, then it is not.... period.

I would much rather be a watchman that takes the heat for being conservative, than to be an apologist for the luke warm laodocean church.

5. rbell

rbell Active Member

Boanerges,

The Gospel of the Scriptures is THE story...agreed. I have no argument there.

But you and I will have to disagree...if God can use Balaam's donkey, I think he can use a movie to stir someone so that they become receptive to THE story.

6. Johnv

Johnv New Member

No one claims it is. It is, therefore, you who errs, by accusing those who see it as doing so. Not a sinlge person here claims what you posted. Not one.
    Since this is not a case of being luke warm or laodocean, you stand as accusing brethren falsely.

7. jw

jw New Member

Funny how it keeps coming back to that, eh, Boanerges?

Anywho, I'm not going to get mixed up in another of your slanderous threads.

8. Boanerges

Boanerges New Member

No one claims it is. It is, therefore, you who errs, by accusing those who see it as doing so. Not a sinlge person here claims what you posted. Not one.
    Since this is not a case of being luke warm or laodocean, you stand as accusing brethren falsely.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Oh Johnny... How the call of the world lures you like a siren towards the rocks of shipwrecked faith.

9. Boanerges

Boanerges New Member

Funny how it keeps coming back to that, eh, Boanerges?

Anywho, I'm not going to get mixed up in another of your slanderous threads.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Isn't that cheerleading outfit getting a little tight by now? Thanks for stopping in. [​IMG]

10. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

***WARNING: Completely idiotic reply follows. Waste time reading it at your own peril!***

No one's willing to address the real problem that Narnia and other allegories present. The only good allegory is "Pilgrim's Progress" - the original version. And it is written in Elizabethan English, as it should be! Not the "new" version of it either. And as we all know, Narnia is written in today's evil way of using English...

Please: everyone back away from the computer and get back into life! Especially you folks with 10K+ posts! ;) (I put the happy face in there so all will know I say this in a good-natured way - yet seriously. Are we not warned to abstain from senseless debates?)

11. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

Boanerges said:

I would much rather be a watchman that takes the heat for being conservative, than to be an apologist for the luke warm laodocean church.

So how do you feel about being the boy who cried wolf? :rolleyes:

12. jw

jw New Member

Nah, I order them in plus sizes for just such an occasion [​IMG]

13. Johnv

Johnv New Member

</font>[/QUOTE]Oh Johnny... How the call of the world lures you like a siren towards the rocks of shipwrecked faith.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Oh, boney...

The call to legalism lures you like a pharisee towards the shore of self-rightousness.

You continually make claims that are unsubstantiated. Shall I list a few?

1 - You claim that those who see the movie hold it up to the level of Gospel. Yet I can find not a single person on this board who did so, or even implied such a thing. Hence, your accusation is false.

2 - You claim that those who have seen the movie are lukewarm, yet are completely unable to providr support for your accusation. Again, your accusation is false.

3 - In an attempt to dodge the fact that you cannot substantiate your claims, you resort to accuse those who have seen the movie as being worldly. Again, you fail miserably to support your claim with any objectivity, resulting in yet more false accusations against the brethren.

14. Humblesmith

Humblesmith Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The real evil are those who have bulletin boards in their homes and in their churches. Bulletin boards have pins in them, which mocks the nails in Christs hands and feet. Plus, the Druids used bulletin boards, so they have a pagan source. There are no bulletin boards found in the bible, so they're unbiblical. AND, all the cults use bulletin boards. How can churches be so blind? And to think, some people are bringing these things into their homes and EXPOSING THEIR CHILDREN TO THEM !!

15. Johnv

Johnv New Member

A greater evil is those who have toilets in their homes and in their churches. Toilets have water in them, which mocks Christ's baptism. Plus, the Druids used water in their worship, so they have a pagan source. There are no toilets found in the bible, so they're unbiblical. AND, all the cults use toilets. How can churches be so blind? And to think, some people are bringing these things into their homes and EXPOSING THEIR CHILDREN TO THEM !!

16. Humblesmith

Humblesmith Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    AND, I've heard Hugh Hefner uses bulletin boards AND toilets!!

How could it be more clear? Where has all our discernment gone??

OH, THE HUMANITY !!

17. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Well, call me a pagan! BUT I am NOT giving up my toilets!

18. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

19. Petrel

Petrel New Member

Thank you for bringing this to my attention! Fortunately I have two litter boxes. [​IMG] Your discernment will certainly help decrease my water bill.

So what about bathtubs and showers??

20. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

Johnv said:

Plus, the Druids used water in their worship, so they have a pagan source.

The Anglo-Saxons developed the English language.
    Many Druids were Anglo-Saxons.
    C. S. Lewis was an English professor.
    Therefore Lewis was a secret Druid.
    I'm learning Latin.