1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Nascar

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by ccrobinson, Feb 22, 2014.

1. Bobby Hamilton

Bobby Hamilton New Member

Jack Roush hasn't shown in the last several years (this year included) that he can field a competitive enough car to compete with Hendrick and Gibbs. I don't see Carl being able to win the races he needs to come chase time.

As for Jimmie not being as strong, he pretty much dominated last week, and at Charlotte too, and really could have 2-3 more wins throughout the year. Right now Harvick seems to have the best stuff when he's not having issues, but I don't trust that consistency yet. Same thing right now with Logano and Keselowski. They have fast stuff each week.

2. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Agreed. Roush, overall, is behind HMS, JGR, Penske and SHR. Carl might be a good enough driver to win a championship, but the cars aren't.

Such nonsense. Junior's never lacked for talent or stones.

Perhaps you should actually watch the races before saying this. Did you watch Jimmie dominate the last 2 races? The #48 team has been behind most of the season, but they've caught up on the rules changes and perhaps moved ahead of everybody else again. We're all tired of seeing Jimmie in Victory Lane, but he's going to make at least 2 or 3 more visits before the season's out. 7th championship is not out of the question.

Perhaps they'll have their issues sorted by September. Even if they don't, Harvick joins the group of Johnson, Gordon, Earnhardt, Logano and Kes as legitimate championship contenders.

3. thisnumbersdisconnected

And ... ? That's two races. Out of 36. [​IMG]

4. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Nope. They've only run 13 races this year so far. Try and keep up.

I really shouldn't have to spell this out, but so be it.

Say this before the World 600 and you're 100% correct. Say it after Dover and it makes you look like you don't know what you're talking about.

5. thisnumbersdisconnected

[​IMG]

36 races out of the year, of which they've run 13, meaning that 2 ain't diddly squat. Let's seem him keep it up. Even two out of 13 is no indication he can.
    Newsflash: JJ is in fourth in the points standings. He's fronted by a Toyota, another Chevy (Gordon's) and Carl. He's struggled most of the seaon thus far. If he continues he has recently, then I'll be wrong. I doubt that I am.

You know the reason they track batting averages in baseball? A guy could be eight for ten in two games, but with an overall BA of .207 100 games into the season, I'll pitch to him with runners in scoring position. Johnson's performance over the last two races might indicate a top five finish when Homestead's over, but his total season indicates out of the top ten. You can buy that or not. Frankly, I don't care.

#25 thisnumbersdisconnected, Jun 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2014
  6. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Spare me the picture. I'm not the one who doesn't know what he's talking about.

You can't say that Jimmie's won "only" 2 races out of 36, when they've only run 13! That's asinine. Besides, 2 wins ain't diddly squat? Again, you have no idea what you're talking about. 2 wins is a great season for every driver except for the elite drivers like JJ, Jeff Gordon and Tony Stewart.

You're going on record that the 6-time champion, after dominating the last 2 races, can't keep winning? What, exactly, leads you to say something like this? This is, once again, where you show that you just don't know what you're talking about. If I were a betting man, I'd put my next mortgage payment up saying that Jimmie's going to have at least 1 more win before this season is over. That's the easiest money I'd ever make.

Before Charlotte, Jimmie had 3 Top 5's, 6 Top 10's and had led 7 of 11 races. Those are good numbers, but they're not Jimmie Johnson-type numbers, thus all the hand-wringing before Charlotte about how Jimmie "struggled".

We're not talking about baseball. You cannot compare batting average in baseball to wins in racing. They are not comparable stats.

No, it doesn't. Through all Jimmie's so-called struggles, he's been anywhere from 4th to 8th in the points all season.

I'm not buying anything from you, because you don't know what you're talking about. You swallowed the media reports that Jimmie has "struggled" and you didn't bother to verify. You don't watch the races to know better and then you come here and pretend to know something. Please either stop posting about things you don't know about, or go educate yourself.

7. thisnumbersdisconnected

I find it amusing you claim I have "no idea what I'm talking about" when the fact is, neither of us will know the real answer to this debate for six and a half months.

Intriguing ...

We could both be dead by then. Hope you know where you're going in that event.

8. padredurand

padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Know what I find amusing? These kind of arguments written by folks who can't pull straight into a parking space. For crying out loud, them boys are inches apart from each other doing 200 mph. Most of us would sweat at 100, wet our pants at 150, pooh 'em at 200 and cry out for Momma when you hit the wall. Yeah, I know, we're all Speed Racer at heart.

"If I was driving that I car I'd would've gone high (or low) blah, blah, blah" Baloney! I, for one, couldn't get my fat belly through the window opening let alone choose a lane to drive in.

9. thisnumbersdisconnected

[​IMG]

YUP!

:thumbsup:

Please note, I've never offered any driving tips to Carl, just shouted at the flat screen, "How the heck't he do that???"

10. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nascar is evil. The Bible says to do what is right...not left.

11. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

So, the debate is now whether Jimmie wins the championship? Just keep moving the target until you find one you like, I guess.

Why would you mention such a thing? Isn't it just a wee bit crass to bring up this up at the end of a debate? If I didn't know better, I'd think you were subtly questioning my salvation, but doing such is against the rules of this board and will get you banned. Since I don't have another alternative to choose from, the only reason I can think of as to why you'd bring this up is in an attempt to smear my character, my faith, etc. Thus, here's your fair warning in return.

The next time I see a statement or question from you that has anything to do with my salvation, I will be reporting the post.

#31 ccrobinson, Jun 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2014
  12. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

But, but, but, they do go right sometimes, Jon! Sometimes they go right into the wall! They run at 2 tracks that have right turns! See? :wavey:

13. thisnumbersdisconnected

That was the original purpose of the thread, I believe. Not if Jimmy wins or not, but who wins. I could be mistaken however. [/sarcasm]

For the response to the rest of your post, see your PM box.

14. padredurand

padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yarborough and Allison come to mind right now. Uncanny.

15. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Actually, on further review, you're right. We went off topic in talking about Jimmie Johnson winning races, and your still inexplicable to me comments dismissing 2 wins as though they were nothing, but you're correct, it was about winning a championship.

16. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'd like to see 'em flip a coin just prior to the race and announce "today it will be clockwise."

17. thisnumbersdisconnected

Fair enough. :thumbsup: "Carl Edwards" remains my answer.
    CC, were aren't this bad, are we? :eek: :laugh:

18. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

I'm afraid so. I'll be Bobby Allison in this scenario.

"I got out of the car and then he went to beating on my fists with his nose."

:smilewinkgrin:

19. thisnumbersdisconnected

[​IMG]

And I'll be Cale Yarbrough: "I don't care what the tape shows, what I say is what happened." [Insert "laugh" smiley in imagination]

20. Bobby Hamilton

Bobby Hamilton New Member

You know, I have to agree with you here. I was enjoying the two of you going back and forth (and to put it quite honestly, you being correct at almost every turn) but that one comment soured this entire debate. Seems to me it was way out of line. Hopefully you two have ironed this out.