1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Native Hawaiian Sovereignty

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Dragoon68, Feb 24, 2010.

1. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

It never ceases to amaze me how often people will take such ridged stands on an issue, while at the same time proudly describe themselves as ignorant of the facts of that very issue.

2. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

Perhaps you are showing some ignorance yourself because I don't think you understood what I wrote?

I'm not knowledgeable about all the several hundred agreements and treaties made with the American Indians and don't particularly want to be. There are many subjects about which I do not have a depth of knowledge. I suppose one word for that could be "ignorance" of that specific subject. So what? I've got a feeling most people are in the same boat and perhaps you as well but, of course, you could be a walking expert on that subject. More likely you're ignorant like me and so your basis for having the opposite opinion is just as worthless as mine might be in your eyes.

Regardless, I am still able to think clearly on the issue at hand which is that we don't need to add another so-called "sovereign nation" to the list by passing legislation for some Hawaiian tribes. I need not make an apology for that. A word for it could be "discernment" from general history that is known to many of us even those as simple-minded and uneducated as I may be when compared to others such as, apparently, you think yourself to be.

Apparently some of you don't have a problem with complicating the problem and would be okay that we do in 2010 what we did in a century and more ago. The next step then would be more "sovereign nations" within our borders of assorted groups. No, I don't think that's a good idea! That seems dumb to a common man. You're just not able to see that. Ignorance I guess could be the reason. Is it?

Further, not all the agreements and treaties with the Indians gave the degree of "sovereignty" that some of you may think. Some of them did the opposite as they ceded their alleged "sovereignty" in favor of becoming citizens of the USA. Our goal should be to complete that process - not to further fragment our society with assorted "special" groups.

So, Steven 2006, it never ceases to amaze me either! This is all in a bit of fun so don't get upset over it. I'm sure you're an okay guy with a reasonable head on your shoulders.

#22 Dragoon68, Feb 25, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2010
  3. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

I'm not upset at all, just commenting after reading the back and forth between Martin and yourself. No big deal.

4. billwald

billwald New Member

google trail of tears

from http://ngeorgia.com/history/nghisttt.html

The Cherokees in 1828 were not nomadic savages. In fact, they had assimilated many European-style customs, including the wearing of gowns by Cherokee women. They built roads, schools and churches, had a system of representational government, and were farmers and cattle ranchers. A Cherokee alphabet, the "Talking Leaves" was perfected by Sequoyah.

"I would sooner be honestly damned than hypocritically immortalized"
    Davy Crockett
    His political career destroyed because he supported the Cherokee, he left Washington D. C. and headed west to Texas.
    In 1830 the Congress of the United States passed the "Indian Removal Act." Although many Americans were against the act, most notably Tennessee Congressman Davy Crockett, it passed anyway. President Jackson quickly signed the bill into law. The Cherokees attempted to fight removal legally by challenging the removal laws in the Supreme Court and by establishing an independent Cherokee Nation. At first the court seemed to rule against the Indians. In Cherokee Nation v. Georgia, the Court refused to hear a case extending Georgia's laws on the Cherokee because they did not represent a sovereign nation. In 1832, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled in favor of the Cherokee on the same issue in Worcester v. Georgia. In this case Chief Justice John Marshall ruled that the Cherokee Nation was sovereign, making the removal laws invalid. The Cherokee would have to agree to removal in a treaty. The treaty then would have to be ratified by the Senate.

By 1835 the Cherokee were divided and despondent. Most supported Principal Chief John Ross, who fought the encroachment of whites starting with the 1832 land lottery. However, a minority(less than 500 out of 17,000 Cherokee in North Georgia) followed Major Ridge, his son John, and Elias Boudinot, who advocated removal. The Treaty of New Echota, signed by Ridge and members of the Treaty Party in 1835, gave Jackson the legal document he needed to remove the First Americans. Ratification of the treaty by the United States Senate sealed the fate of the Cherokee. Among the few who spoke out against the ratification were Daniel Webster and Henry Clay, but it passed by a single vote. In 1838 the United States began the removal to Oklahoma, fulfilling a promise the government made to Georgia in 1802. Ordered to move on the Cherokee, General John Wool resigned his command in protest, delaying the action. His replacement, General Winfield Scott, arrived at New Echota on May 17, 1838 with 7000 men. Early that summer General Scott and the United States Army began the invasion of the Cherokee Nation.

5. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

People go out of their way to laud all the "goodness" of the American Indians don't they? Yet to do so they must compare the "savages" to the "European-style customs". American Indians were human beings just like all the rest of us - inherently no better and no worse - but their culture was not at all like that of Europe. They had some nasty habits such as warring among themselves a lot, taking and holding slaves, torturing prisoners, and treating women as inferior beings - not that Europeans didn't also have those issues. Let's be honest about them and ourselves. They also weren't always very neighborly to the newcomers. I guess they forget they also came from somewhere else to get here. Maybe we should read some of those old treaties to see what requirements were put upon the Indians to counter the behavior they exhibited. No one and no culture was or is perfect. But all that is now many generations ago - interesting history for those that want to study it. But we don't need to be taking steps today to establish more so-called "sovereign nations" of "native tribes" such as is being proposed in Hawaii. We ought instead to be concerned with holding on to the sovereignty of America as one republic and the sovereignty of our individual States that make up that republic. It is foolishness to establish groups of people within our borders as "nations".

#25 Dragoon68, Feb 25, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2010
  6. billwald

billwald New Member

'68,

Are you admitting in a round about way that the entire human race is (still) contaminated with a sin nature?

If so, congrats. Risking the accusation of changing the topic, which seems to have morphed into the "nature of human government," all recent human governments are based on the concept of human improvement i.e. the Indian People were uncivilized but we are civilized. I propose that, at best, we are more sanitary in executing our evil.

7. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How far are you from the nearest indian reservation, Salty ?
    When I lived up over at the Buffalo area, if I recall correctly, the nearest indian reservation was maybe well over 30 miles, way past Evans where we used to go for church.
    Made no sense, for me, at least (maybe it did to those who had bigger gas tanks) to drive that far just to load up with gas then drive back to Amherst, except if I carried an extra 5 gallon can or two, which my wife won't allow, and my wallet won't definitely approve of it.

8. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==If you have not studied this in depth and you do not care to do so why are you commenting forcefully on it? I would have assumed that someone who has such strong feelings on this as you do would have done more research (etc).

==Actually they do. They are descendents from people with whom the United States signed treaties and made agreements. Those treaties and agreements have, for the most part, not be cancelled nor have they expired. The United States government has simply chosen not to honor those treaties. That is not right.

==Giving them some sovereign status does not necessarily equal "a perpetual system of special benefits". They were here and they were sovereign before the colonists and the United States. For the most part their sovereignty was taken from them by settlers just taking up residence and governments making land claims (over land they had no right to make such claims over).

==Nobody denies that everyone born in America is, technically, a native American. In fact, there is a debate among historians (etc) about what term should be used for the American Indian (Native American, American Indian, Indian, etc). Nobody is saying that we, today, do not have rights to our land. The issue is about giving the American Indians what they were promised.

==I find that statement to be very interesting, and very true. Why is it interesting? It is the exact same argument many American Indians have made throughout history in the face of European colonization. Tecumseh, the Shawnee warrior, made that same argument in his debates with William Henry Harrison (who would later be president, for a short time). So the American Indians do not, as a whole, deny that the land belongs to God (etc). What they are asking for is their sovereignty. Why should that be denied them?

9. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==That (bold) is simply not true. First, there never was one American Indian nation. Second, many nations still exist. They have their own land, governments, schools, etc.

10. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==While I am not a "walking encyclopedia" on American Indian studies/history, I have spent a great deal of my professional life studying the history and culture of American Indians. My major graduate research was on King Philip's War and I did a research paper in my graduate historiography class on Native Americans as slaves. I also teach the Native American History class at the college I work at. However I don't claim to be an American Indian scholar nor do I claim to be an expert on the subject. I have many friends and professional acquantences (at other colleges/universities) who are scholars of American Indian history. I don't claim to be at their level (yet). I enjoy talking with them and reading their books, but I still have a great deal of learning to do.

I say that to point out that I do have some background in this area. Some of the things you stated above are not totally true. Let me elaborate on that point.

First, you said that "American Indians were human beings just like all the rest of us - inherently no better and no worse - but their culture was not at all like that of Europe". That is 100% correct. Like you I realize that American Indians were/are humans, sinful humans at that. Their culture, thanks a lot to their environment, was very different from that of Europeans.

Second, you said that "They had some nasty habits such as warring among themselves a lot". That is a bit more complicated. Yes, Americans Indians warred amongst themselves prior to the arrival of Europeans. However the amount of warfare, and the effectiveness of that warfare, is a matter of debate. Most of the scholars I have read agree that Indian warfare prior to contact was less violent than wars going on at the same time in Europe, Africa, and Asia. I have also seen this point in my studies of primary writings of the early colonists (Woods, Williams, Morton, etc). Don't get me wrong, people were killed and injured in these wars and the fate of male captives could be horrifying (scalping, dismemberments, etc). There were, of course, many different tribes (etc) and the level of violence associated with any war would depend on who was involved. There were tribes, such as the Aztecs in Mexico, that were very war like. So it really depends.

Third, you said "taking and holding slaves, torturing prisoners, and treating women as inferior beings". American Indians did hold slaves and after contact they held Europeans and Africans as slaves. As you rightly point out, they were not unique in that. They also "tortured" male prisoners. Many times children and women were adopted into the tribe. However men would many times be tortured to death. The descriptions of such scenes in colonial writings is chilling. I would take some exception to the idea that American Indians treated women as "inferior beings". Women did most, if not all, of the domestic work. They also did most of the field work (planting, etc). Men generally hunted, fished, fought, carried out diplomacy, etc. However that does not mean women were looked down upon. Many tribes/nations were matrilineal and women would often hold positions of leadership in the villages. Some women were even sachems.

==Most of the primary accounts, from Europeans, report that the American Indians were very friendly upon first contact. Sadly the friendly behavior of the Indians changed after conflicts with Europeans and later arrivals often suffered the consequences.

==Actually during the 16th and 17th century many of the American Indians believed that they had been placed here by God. There are reams of "creation" and "emergence" myths to prove that. Even today, not all American Indians believe the Beringia theory.

11. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

I admit my own sinful nature and many sinful acts! I am ashamed of it and of them. I wish that I had never done the evil things I've done and wish I would never sin again but I know I will. What a struggle it is!

I don't think the Indians were as "civilized" as the Europeans but I don't think that made them any less God's creation. Their ancient culture, like similar ones in Central and South America, was headed for an end just as that of European ancestors such as the Vikings or the Celts.

I think America has, historically, been far more civil and good in its dealing with its own and with others than any nation in history. We're not perfect and fall very short by God's standard but, compared to other nations, we've excelled. That's one reason I tend to bow up a bit when people start lauding the various cultures we supplanted for whatever reason as being superior or victimized.

#31 Dragoon68, Feb 26, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2010
  12. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

Martin, I was being honest to say that I have not studied the history of American Indians in great depth. That does not mean I know nothing about it at all. In any respect I did not forfeit my right to express my thoughts on the subject and I have thought out my position on this very carefully. You bet I have strong thoughts on a lot of subjects and I'm not bashful about it either. I don't need to have a doctorate in every subject when an adequate position can be established from general knowledge. Every American who's attend high school and college has a good understanding of key events and parties in our nation's history including the American Indians. That doesn't make us experts but doesn't render us without understanding or basis to reflex on those events and parties.

Obviously you have studied the topic to some degree but I doubt you know everything about it. You may know a lot about the legal aspects of it - good for you - but, believe me, a lot of things are legal but not necessarily right. The last treaties with the so-called "sovereign nations" were consummated almost 150 years ago. That's about six generations past. The terms of those treaties - hundreds of them - are varied and cover many things. I do not think it an absolute that they must continue in force for perpetuity - regardless of any court decisions - because these are not truly sovereign nations today and the terms have no relevance to the parties alive today. They have become nothing more than yet another federal benefit program for a class of people based on something other than earned merit. In other words, they get something just for being born from Indian ancestors - not because they earned it or were denied anything by anyone alive today or in recent times. This type thing has no end if we don't see past it.

Further, the primary purpose of my comments is to counter the further propagation of special groups of people via the proposed legislation to make native Hawaiians as so-called "sovereign nation". Doing such a stupid thing today - taking note of the American Indian experience - makes absolutely no sense. It's not good to create groups of special people within the larger population that somehow are given a birthright to something not available to all by earned merit. Land ownership in Hawaii is a big deal and there's no reason why some "government within a government" needs to be established to provide land ownership rights to one group of people while denying it from others.

#32 Dragoon68, Feb 26, 2010
  13. FR7 Baptist

FR7 Baptist Active Member

That's true, and I see where you're coming from. However, I think you miss the legal basis from tribal sovereignty. The Indians governed their own territory and people prior to the arrival of Europeans. The Constitution in several places indicates that there is a government-to-government relationship between the United States and the Indian tribes. Modern day tribal sovereignty is a continuation of that.

14. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

I say this to remind us all that we don't rally own anything - land, homes, cars, etc. and even ourselves. It's a reality check!

We do however attain temporal ownership rights to the things we posses. There's not a place in the world where the transfer of ownership is completely untainted in some way. Even the American Indians came here from somewhere else and some historians wonder if they didn't conflict with some earlier settlers. It's also clear they struggled amongst themselves for "ownership" of land. My deed, for most property where I've lived, begins with a grant of land from the President of USA from the public domain. It has a beginning but I know someone else may have been here before me. I also know someone else will be here after me.

The persons of American Indian nor of native Hawaiian ancestry alive today are not entitled to any national sovereignty. They are no more special than any of the rest of us. They are citizens of America just like all the rest of us. They need to be treated that way and act that way. That's what I think! In reality they don't have a "sovereign nation" within our borders regardless whether or not they'd like to or once did.

By the way, Martin, whether we agree or not, I appreciate your thoughtful, civil, and well-written comments.

#34 Dragoon68, Feb 26, 2010
  15. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

No, I understand the "legal" basis. I just don't believe that basis has any real merit today or in future generations. I don't think it should be assumed that the agreements or recognition should be in perpetuity.

But, again, more importantly I certainly don't see any good reason to add the native Hawaiians to the list at this late date of almost 150 years since the last treaty with American Indians. We're fools to be considering that and opening the door to all kinds of ridiculous claims for numerous parties. That's what we're not seeing as we bury our noses in the legal books!