1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Naves Study Bible vs Thompson Chain

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by puros_bran, Jan 28, 2009.

1. puros_bran

puros_bran Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have an old Naves Study Bible. The wife and I are at a loss as to where it came from. I got the 'Did you buy another old bible' look when she noticed it....but I honestly have no idea where it came from, I have always thought it was hers.
    All the recent Thompson Chain talk of late had me looking at the pics on the Website. The bibles look to have the same idea behind them. Anyone care to compare/contrast the two?

2. Keith M

Keith M New Member

I wasn't aware of a study Bible bearing Nave's name until I read your post. I googled and found out it's available at various web sites. Although I can't say with 100% certainty, I would guess the study Bible is based on Nave's Topical Bible, which has been around for years (since 1896, I believe). Since Thompson's Centennial Edition was published in 2008 (see CBD web site at http://www.christianbook.com/Christ...id=527541&event=EBRN&item_code=WW&view=covers) I have to assume Thompson's first appeared in 1908.

If my guess is right, the Nave's Study Bible you mention is quite similar in it's goal to the Thompson's Chain Reference Bible. But while the Thompson's Bible uses a numbering system, I believe the original Nave's was formatted alphabetically if memory serves me correctly. I would assume the Nave's Study Bible is also formatted alphabetically - or am I wrong about that?

3. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  4. puros_bran

puros_bran Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sorry... We have been in the dark for a few days...

The Naves Study bible is laid out in normal fashion, Genesis-Revelation.
    The bottom margin has 'Notes' (working from memory, I don't have it in hand) ie: Genesis 3 has Sin: definition....... instances of: bible verses.....
    In some entrys it breaks it into further groups. 'Mercy' is a good example, it has
    Mercy: definition... pertaining to God: verses.. pertaining to Goverment: verses.. Pertaining to Man: verses
    The side margin has alternate readings from the ASV and cross refrences.

5. puros_bran

puros_bran Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey thanks Jerome... Thats it.
    I wish I was home just so I could double check and see if it says Student or Study. The 'insides' are the same regardless.