1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Near Death Experience

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Martin, Feb 26, 2007.

1. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Seconds after the roadside bomb that tore off part of his skull, Bob Woodruff said he had a brief out-of-body experience before losing consciousness for more than a month...He was standing with his head and upper body outside of a moving tank while on a reporting trip to Iraq when the bomb went off. "When it actually exploded, I don't remember that," he said. "But I do remember immediately at that moment that I saw my body floating below me and a kind of whiteness." He briefly lost consciousness, fell back into the tank and woke up to see cameraman Doug Vogt across from him. Woodruff remembered spitting up blood.- SOURCE

What do you make of this account? Is it valid or not?

What does this say about life after death? By this I mean do near death experiences prove life after death? Is this something those in apologetics should be looking into?

Before I give my answers I want to see what others have to say. I have spent some time looking into this issue, so, my views on these questions are fairly set. Just thought it would be interesting to see how others reply to these questions.

#1 Martin, Feb 26, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2007
  2. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

The key word here is "near"

The soldier had a NEAR death experience. Meaning he was close to death. But he didn't die, did he??!!

In the Bible---Jesus raised three people from the dead

But the Bible is silent as to what they experienced on the other side of the grave.

The soldier---in my opinion---was not on the "other" side of death.

3. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I have read some books about near death, and tried to reconcile them with the Bible. It seems there is something there, but it is way beyond my understanding. Or, is it the mind playing tricks?

4. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

No one has ever come back from the other side of the dead without the word of the Lord Jesus Christ!!

5. quidam65

quidam65 Member

I'm not saying that he did or did not truly believe he went through what he said. But given that he did suffer serious bodily injury, it is possible that he was hallucinating due to the pain.

I will be the first to admit, though, that I am not a medical professional of any sorts. So to quote the old adage, "Is there a doctor in the house?"

6. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

My last heart surgery I was swelled so big my family could not tell it was me unless they already knew. In my state of mind I was in a land of pain which was unbearable and I could see another land, one without pain. I ask God to let me die so I could enter that land, but He wouldn't let me.

I once dreamed of being out of the body and watching people dealing with my body. I won't go into details but it was a time of trouble in the church. I know it was something weird.

7. amity

amity New Member

Although I personally believe there is something to these experiences, the fact remains that people who have them and live to tell the tale were never dead at all. Even if their heart stopped they were not truly dead.

The point we legally fix as death in modern society is purely arbitrary... so-called "brain death." After the heart stops beating it takes several minutes for irreversible brain damage to take place. It takes hours and possibly even days for every single cell in the body to die. Obviously none of these things happened to those who report "near-death" experiences. Whatever they experience could well have some biological basis.

I worked as a paramedic for a few years. during that time I witnessed several instances of people who were technically dead who resisted treatment. In one case a man who had no heart beat for at all for several minutes reached up and grabbed the hands of the paramedic who was administering electrical shocks and then even opened his eyes slightly and mouthed "No!" Another time a man was fully conscious while CPR was being done on him and asked for his family to be called. CPR was continued while they were summoned for their last goodbyes. After everything had been tried CPR was discontinued and he was allowed to die, which he did without a single additional heartbeat. Another man who was without any heartbeat maintained consciousness all the way to the hospital by coughing, coached by a paramedic in the ambulance. All these things which science says are impossible, did indeed happen.

I know of a woman who works as a hospice nurse and watches people die routinely, several times a day even. She reports that the vast majority have some type of very pleasant near-death experience. A few, however, are terrified of something. Of course these are people who are dying of an illness, gradually, and not sudden death, or traumatic death.

#7 amity, Feb 26, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2007
  8. Rex77

Rex77 Member

Paul had one.

Moody had one. but died shortly after

But they were saved.

2Co 12:2 I knew a man in Christ above fourteen years ago, (whether in the body, I cannot tell; or whether out of the body, I cannot tell: God knoweth such an one caught up to the third heaven.
    3 And I knew such a man, (whether in the body, or out of the body, I cannot tell: God knoweth
    4 How that he was caught up into paradise, and heard unspeakable words, which it is not lawful for a man to utter.
    5 Of such an one will I glory: yet of myself I will not glory, but in mine infirmities.

9. donnA

donnA Active Member

I don't believe these stories one bit. I was raised on stuff like this, we beleived this, read about it, watched movies about it. When I became a christian, I knew there was no such thing, it did not recognicile with scripture.

http://www.near-death.com/experiences/reincarnation04.html

These types of reports from 'near death experiences' are typical.

10. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

Alot of it could be Satanic deception.

11. His Blood Spoke My Name

Paul did not say that he had an out of the body experience in the above verses. He said he knew a man who was caught up to the third heaven. And he went on to say that he did not know if the man was still in his body or not.

12. His Blood Spoke My Name

I was just thinking of Elijah. Elisha saw him taken up to heaven.

Maybe the man who related the story of 'being taken up into the third heaven was in his body but told Paul he felt like he was out of his body.

13. Rex77

Rex77 Member

Ac 14:19 ΒΆ And there came thither [certain] Jews from Antioch and Iconium, who persuaded the people, and, having stoned Paul, drew [him] out of the city, supposing he had been dead.

Ac 14:20 Howbeit, as the disciples stood round about him, he rose up, and came into the city: and the next day he departed with Barnabas to Derbe.

14. donnA

donnA Active Member

And you see an out of body, near death experience there?

15. Rex77

Rex77 Member

No just that Paul was left for dead.

16. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

BINGO!!!!!!

17. donnA

donnA Active Member

Then how does that tie in with near death expereince, if you explain then I'll know what your saying.

18. donnA

donnA Active Member

I'm sure it is, thats why they come back with messages from 'Jesus' that don't line up with scripture.

19. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ok, certainly some interesting comments here. So in response to those comments let me make some comments of my own. These comments will include my view of the value of NDEs in Christian apologetics.

1. Those who are concerned about demonic deception have good reason to be. Many of these NDEs result in people holding very unBiblical views and they report hearing "a jesus" say things that the Biblical/historical Jesus would have never said. Any messages that come from a NDE need to be examined, and judged, in the light of Scripture.

2. Those who have pointed out that these people are not dead but only near death also have a valid point. However I do believe that these experiences do prove something that is valuable to Christian apologetics. This reporter's experience, and similar experiences of others, does show that there is human consciousness apart from the physical brain. These type of NDE experiences do show that humans are more than physical beings. Of course there needs to be some verification (etc) when possible.

3. These NDE experiences, however, say very little about the nature of life after death. Since none of these people have actually died these experiences don't tell us what life after death is actually like. Also these experiences don't tell us how long life after death lasts or what quality such life maybe.

4. The Bible must be our final assurance for life after death and for information about what that life will be like.

==============================

I hope to write an article for my blog on NDEs in the near future. Also I would highly recommend three books that deal with these issues:

The first two are popular level general books.

"One Minute After You Die" By Erwin Lutzer

"Heaven The Undiscovered Country" By Ron Rhodes

The third book is very technical and gets into several philosophical arguments. I recommend it only for those who have read up on this subject and are comfortable with philosophy. In general it is a very good book, however, I do not find all of their arguments to be equally strong.

"Beyond Death" By Gary Habermas and JP Moreland

#19 Martin, Feb 27, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2007
  20. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

My point was and is that Jesus never leaves us, even at death, and I can testify of an assurity that all fear leaves at that point, which is very comforting to Christians.